AMD Radeon Navi 20 Could Pack 5,120 Cores, 24GB of HBM2

Guiltyxz

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

It's a rumor not an official spec, so take some salt with your doughnuts :P 24 GB HBM2e just seems too over the top, at least for a consumer card (that is affordable). Sounds more like a potential workstation card to me. Otherwise... a repeat of the Radeon 7?

I mean, if true, this could be faster than a 2080 Ti but at what cost/power consumption and for how long (Ampere)?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Xbox one series X will have RDNA2 with 12TF. I expect the coming top end big Navi will better that. But 24GB HBM2? For workstation card probably.

Wasn't HBM a bit of a costly mistake with Fiji?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Fake rumor. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

49 minutes ago, Guiltyx said:

Your thread was moved out of the Tech News section, if you want your thread to be moved back please take some time to read the Tech News posting guidelines and edit your thread accordingly.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

And once more with the Radeon VII. An expensive to produce card almost no one wants to buy because the competition's products outperform it and you can't even lower the price to compete without making a loss.

It looks like HBM just isn't worth it for consumer cards at this point. Especially when Nvidia can still outperform AMD with much cheaper DDR5/6.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Putting HBM2 on that card, and 24GB of that, would just be AMD shooting themself in the foot. There's no reason for such an expensive and big frame buffer on gaming cards.

1 hour ago, Guiltyx said:

Thoughts? Maybe AMD is finally going to overtake Nvidia.

I have little doubt that AMD will indeed beat the RTX 2080ti without too much trouble. The RDNA architecture has been a huge step forward in terms of how much work it gets done per compute unit, and that is just RDNA 1.0 which we have seen thus far- in the form of small midrange GPUs with only 36-40 CUs. The bigger ones should be really fast with 60-80 CUs.

The thing is it is so late! They will hold the crown just for a couple of months and then Nvidia will launch their next gen stuff as well.

What AMD can do is bring sanity back to PC gaming in terms of pricing. By launching their full RX 6xxx series lineup consisting of high end RDNA 2.0 parts as well as rebranded RDNA 1.0 parts for the midrange. And they can market it as the saviour of PC gaming if they selll the top end SKUs for $700 while beating the RTX 2080ti. Have a huge marketing push around that.

But alas it seems that AMD too is following in Nvidia's footsteps in pushing PC gaming more and more out of reach. They will just undercut Nvidia by a small amount going by recent trends.

19 minutes ago, Medicate said:

Putting HBM2 on that card, and 24GB of that, would just be AMD shooting themself in the foot. There's no reason for such an expensive and big frame buffer on gaming cards.

That could even be the fully unlocked part designed to be sold as a workstation part for USD 2000, which will be cut down for gamers... we really don't know.

What we do know is that RDNA has been designed to support both types of memmory so AMD has that flexibility.

If this have any kind of truth, it's most likely one for servers and similar only and cost a ton.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I've pointed this out before but NIVIDA used it on some of their prior generation workstation cards, it's not an AMD only thing.

A lot of the adoption of HBM was driven by expectations about where GDDR6 would turn out in terms of speed and capacity. It rather firmly exceeded those. Had it not done so high end NVIDIA cards would be using HMB2 right now as well because it would be the only thing fast enough, (in fact thats why the previous generation of Workstation cards used it in some cases, it was the only option for sufficient speed and capacity). GDDR6 turning out as well as it did, (and to a lesser degree GDDR5X), undercut HBM and by extension AMD quite a bit. AMD just kinda got caught out when the technical landscape shifted unexpectedly.