cherry Mx browns vs kailh browns

Ah2004

I personally use cherry mx browns and absolutely love them, but I've never tried kailh browns so I can't compare.

I have no opinion on this (really don't know the differences) but (and it may have inspired your post) todays LTT video is a taste test of  a ton of different keyboard switches.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Not really a fan. They are too light for my taste, and not tactile enough, even the Box Brown. The main difference that you're likely to notice is that the tactile bump is further down on the Cherry variant.

:)

5 minutes ago, Ah2004 said:

which one do you guys pefer?

Normal Kailh Browns or Box Browns?

In my experience Cherry MX Brown and normal Kailh Browns are pretty similar. Box Browns are quite a bit more stable though.

Switches are very personal though and personally I am not a fan of either.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

In my experience Cherry MX Brown and normal Kailh Browns are pretty similar. Box Browns are quite a bit more stable though.

never tested a mech keyboard in my life but from some research i feel like browns are best for me

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

iam not sure if this keyboard even is kailh tbh, but iam pretty sure i heard it from techsource that the switches are kailh

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07WSC6TQ4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=A2FK9EP27A6ZE6&psc=1

1 minute ago, Ah2004 said:

never tested a mech keyboard in my life but from some research i feel like browns are best for me

You should definitely go to a store where they have keyboards on display and try some stuff out. That is the only way to get to know what you like to type on.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Ah2004 said:

iam not sure if this keyboard even is kailh tbh, but iam pretty sure i heard it from techsource that the switches are kailh

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07WSC6TQ4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=A2FK9EP27A6ZE6&psc=1

In my opinion it's always a bad sign if a mechanical keyboard doesn't list the manufacturer of their keyswitches. Makes me feel like they are doubting their own choice, but that may just be me thinking that.

Never heard of this keyboard, so don't have an opinion on it. Kinda looks like a 65% Anne Pro. 

Just now, minibois said:

You should definitely go to a store where they have keyboards on display and try some stuff out. That is the only way to get to know what you like to type on.

the only pc stores near me are bestbuy and canada computers (yes i live in canada and im 15 ;) but i doubt my dad will have anytime to take me their.

Just now, minibois said:

In my opinion it's always a bad sign if a mechanical keyboard doesn't list the manufacturer of their keyswitches. Makes me feel like they are doubting their own choice, but that may just be me thinking that.

Never heard of this keyboard, so don't have an opinion on it.

saw it in the linus keyboard vid a few days back he did recommend it

1 minute ago, Ah2004 said:

the only pc stores near me are bestbuy and canada computers (yes i live in canada and im 15 ;) but i doubt my dad will have anytime to take me their.

Another option would be to get a switch tester. While this will definitely be different from actually trying the different switches in an actual keyboard, it will give you an idea of how each switch feels

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Another option would be to get a switch tester. While this will definitely be different from actually trying the different switches in an actual keyboard, it will give you an idea of how each switch feels

where can i find one, i think i heard cherry gives some switch testers?

Cherry browns are one of the worst switches IMO.

Kailh BOX browns will be smoother, more stable, more consistent and have a sharper more noticeable tactile bump. Though there are still better tactile switches out there.

21 minutes ago, Ah2004 said:

Why is that exactly?

3 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Cherry browns are one of the worst switches IMO.

Kailh BOX browns will be smoother, more stable, more consistent and have a sharper more noticeable tactile bump. Though there are still better tactile switches out there.

Why is that exactly?

i dont like loud keyboards i like anything that is tactile and gives me some feed back plus lots of people like brown switches and there quite popular and honestly even a membrane keyboard is gonna be just fine for me but since iam building a setup mechanical keyboards is something i would love to try

5 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Cherry Browns have the smallest amount of feed back out of any tactile switch.

whats the purpose of the bump?