144Hz monitor vs 60Hz

CharmingPanda

Pleasee everyone that has a 60Hz monitor and has never tried a 144Hz monitor... please please invest your money on a 144Hz ???

I have played with a 60Hz for over 10 years. And just yesterday i upgraded my self to 144hz. Oh my! 

My eyes are tearing up, i never write reviews. But i had to go to the website and write a review. I Am the happiest person alive. It improves everything,

FPS, and overall all gaming. Since its so smoooth. Its like i have been lagging forever without noticing it. 

Invest money on a 144hz. You will never regret it.. Trust me

240hz or bust. But yeah I get the feeling. Honestly the biggest thing that sucks about stepping up to something to 144hz is that after you do it's so hard to accept anything less. 

11 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

When I get a better gpu...

Yes i understand,

But if you are playing games like CSGO or League of Legends, you dont need a massive rock hard GPU to run 144Hz, it willl work fine even with a RTX 1660. 

144 is love..

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

240hz or bust. But yeah I get the feeling. Honestly the biggest thing that sucks about stepping up to something to 144hz is that after you do it's so hard to accept anything less. 

Yes... i can imagine 240Hz is just insane.. I just recently got my 144hz, but i will already start saving for a 240Hz. Cant wait ??

And yes.. i will never go back to 60 hz.. I rather not play anything if i dont have  a 144Hz minimum. 

6 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Well I'm running Vega 8 graphics, a GT1030 is slightly better than this. I'm lucky to run a game at 50fps, so right now, a 144Hz monitor would be a waste of money for me. I play more than just e-sports titles

I See. 

Then saving for a new PC would be better maybe, and then afterwards save for a high end gaming screen.

I do wonder if th response would be as effusive if it was a jump from 120-144 instead of 60-144.  I do remember the jump from 24-40, and 40-60.  60-75 wasn’t very noticeable.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I do wonder if th response would be as effusive if it was a jump from 120-144 instead of 60-144.  I do remember the jump from 24-40, and 40-60.  60-75 wasn’t very noticeable.

I dont think its a huge difference, but if you jump from 120Hz to 144Hz since its a very small difference. 
But if you jump from 120Hz to 240Hz you will 100% see the difference :P

8 minutes ago, CharmingPanda said:

I dont think its a huge difference, but if you jump from 120Hz to 144Hz since its a very small difference. 
But if you jump from 120Hz to 240Hz you will 100% see the difference :P

I have seen reports that are totally the opposite of that.  Video even.  In the LTT video where they tested this only professional gamers could see a difference without magnification and frame by frame replay.  The difference COULD be experienced in some types (specifically competitive PvP shooters) of games by non pro gamers, but experiencing and seeing are different things.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I have seen reports that are totally the opposite of that.  Video even.  In the LTT video where they tested this only professional gamers could see a difference without magnification and frame by frame replay.  The difference COULD be experienced in some types (specifically competitive PvP shooters) of games by non pro gamers, but experiencing and seeing are different things.

If you play for example League of Legends and are very competetive, you would not see a huge difference. But if you play for example alot of FPS games for example CSGO.

This will help you react faster than your opponents. 

If you play for example League of Legends and are very competetive, you would not see a huge difference. But if you play for example alot of FPS games for example CSGO.

This will help you react faster than your opponents. 

..opponents who don’t have the special equipment.  Unless they do.  I wonder if 240 will be made illegal in competition.  Esports seems to aim pretty hard at egalitarianism.  It’s happened in other sports like golf, baseball, hockey, etc...  There are “non-sanctioned” golf balls that go 20% farther than sanctioned ones.  Wood bats and specific ball types are required in baseball.

back in the 1930’s(?) there was a requirement that all competition golf balls be made out of gutta percha.  They sanctioned modern golf balls only after great debate.

I personally cannot tell much difference between 60hz and 144hz - I've got a 4k 60hz panel and a 1080p 144hz panel next to each other and I switch between them all the time. The difference is very 'meh' IMO if you feel it makes a massive difference for you then good for you but I personally don't really see the benefit to 144hz... 30hz to 60hz is a different story... especially when watching YouTube videos.

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

12 minutes ago, Kirky2k15 said:

I personally cannot tell much difference between 60hz and 144hz - I've got a 4k 60hz panel and a 1080p 144hz panel next to each other and I switch between them all the time. The difference is very 'meh' IMO if you feel it makes a massive difference for you then good for you but I personally don't really see the benefit to 144hz... 30hz to 60hz is a different story... especially when watching YouTube videos.

Makes me worried that you cant see the difference, since there is actually a huge difference. Its like night and day.. 

Are you sure you are using the right cable and have set up the 144Hz correctly?

You have to make sure to do it in Display settings and dubbel check your graphics controll panel to activate it <.<

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

2678 hz or bust.

Makes me worried that you cant see the difference, since there is actually a huge difference. Its like night and day.. 

You have to make sure to do it in Display settings and dubbel check your graphics controll panel to activate it <.<

I advise against being worried that everyone is not like you.  It is something that could plague you for the rest of your days.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I advise against being worried that everyone is not like you.  It is something that could plague you for the rest of your days.

Oh wow, okay. Mr smart guy. I just tried to be nice and see if he had correct cables and set it up correctly. Keep your negativity to your self. lol. And no it will never become illegal to have 240Hz on gaming monitors and competing. You have money or you dont. You snooze you lose! 

Its the exact same thing like "having a good mouse" Or a "Good Gaming screen" Its unfair yes that some things might make your game more smooth and take advantage of the enemy. 

But thats life, its unfair :)

1 minute ago, CharmingPanda said:

Oh wow, okay. Mr smart guy. I just tried to be nice and see if he had correct cables and set it up correctly. Keep your negativity to your self. lol. And no it will never become illegal to have 240Hz on gaming monitors and competing. You have money or you dont. You snooze you lose! 

Its the exact same thing like "having a good mouse" Or a "Good Gaming screen" Its unfair yes that some things might make your game more smooth and take advantage of the enemy. 

But thats life, its unfair :)

Well that was half of it anyway.  The other half was “well it’s objectively better so there has to be something wrong”.  I was replying to that half.

You seem to be making an assumption that all people only ever play competitive esports stuff.  There IS evidence that really high refresh rates do provide an advantage specifically in those kinds of things for some people.  It’s not a very accessible advantage because it’s not all that large and costs about an extra $1000-1500 to acquire, but there is evidence it exists.  You seem to feel it’s worth that kind of money to be able to find a fractional advantage in esports.  Ok.  People also buy unsanctioned golf balls for $20 a piece.  Doesn’t make them better though it does usually mean they have more disposable income.

The issue I have with your statement is competitive esports is not what everyone does on computers or even what everyone does in computer gaming.  This is the same kind of argument made for other high end sports gear.  Or even high end audio or thousand dollar bottles of wine.  People can be into that stuff.  It’s the implicit “must” I have an issue with.

240hz may eventually become common.  It also may not.  I think it has more to do with gpu cost than anything else.  240hz takes twice as much CPU/GPU to drive as 120hz and four times as much as 60hz. 240hz can only even be done at 1080p currently even with maximum hardware, and a person with that same maximum hardware can drive a 4k monitor at 120hz.  I suspect if/when a 4k or even 1440p monitor can be driven at 240hz for a gpu cost of $200 or so it may become a regular thing.

3 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Save for a new pc?? No, no, no. I just built mine late last year with the intention of adding a GPU later. My current priorites are GPU, then screen. You don't need a new PC just because of a GPU problem.

Oh my bad, i thought u had a laptop since ur description says "Laptop: HP Probook" But missed that u had a "Main rig"
But go for it!!! ;)

I can maybe even help you since i work at a electronic store. But it can depend alot also on where you live. But if you live in Scandinavia i can 100% get you a discount on some products

1 hour ago, CharmingPanda said:

This ain't my first rodeo kid! I'm know what I'm doing - yes I've got everything set up correctly - my monitors show up as 60hz and 144hz in advanced display settings

I've also got a laptop with a 120hz screen and I can't really tell much difference between 120hz and 60hz - certainly not night and day as you describe it.

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

2 hours ago, CharmingPanda said:

Yes... i can imagine 240Hz is just insane.. I just recently got my 144hz, but i will already start saving for a 240Hz. Cant wait ??

And yes.. i will never go back to 60 hz.. I rather not play anything if i dont have  a 144Hz minimum. 

Most people can't see the difference between 144hz and 240hz. Not enough for it to be a massive differentiator. I don't think anyone here plays at that level. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

..opponents who don’t have the special equipment.  Unless they do.  I wonder if 240 will be made illegal in competition.  Esports seems to aim pretty hard at egalitarianism.  It’s happened in other sports like golf, baseball, hockey, etc...  There are “non-sanctioned” golf balls that go 20% farther than sanctioned ones.  Wood bats and specific ball types are required in baseball.

back in the 1930’s(?) there was a requirement that all competition golf balls be made out of gutta percha.  They sanctioned modern golf balls only after great debate.

Why would they make it illegal when it's what everyone uses? That'd be like going to the NBA and saying they can't use a basketball. 

1 hour ago, Kirky2k15 said:

Depends a lot on what games you're playing. 

1 hour ago, NZgamer said:

Save for a new pc?? No, no, no. I just built mine late last year with the intention of adding a GPU later. My current priorites are GPU, then screen. You don't need a new PC just because of a GPU problem.

Well I mean...your PC is pretty bottlenecked in many areas...a 144hz screen wouldn't make a ton of sense. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Most people can't see the difference between 144hz and 240hz. Not enough for it to be a massive differentiator. I don't think anyone here plays at that level. 

Why would they make it illegal when it's what everyone uses? That'd be like going to the NBA and saying they can't use a basketball. 

Depends a lot on what games you're playing. 

Well I mean...your PC is pretty bottlenecked in many areas...a 144hz screen wouldn't make a ton of sense. 

Because they feel that it makes the requirements for entry too high.  It’s happened before in other sports.  They also may not.

I loved my 144hz until I went back to game on it with current games. 240hz is so much better. But I don't have a card to push more frames on my 1440p to keep up with the 240hz 1080p. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

I loved my 144hz until I went back to game on it with current games. 240hz is so much better. But I don't have a card to push more frames on my 1440p to keep up with the 240hz 1080p. 

Interesting, i might actually go over to 240Hz, since i am getting my new GPU tomorrow. A rtx 2080 Super, so cant wait to see what opportunities i have ???

True, it's 2020 144Hz as minimum for a new monitor, they're dirt cheap. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

8 hours ago, CharmingPanda said:

Pleasee everyone that has a 60Hz monitor and has never tried a 144Hz monitor... please please invest your money on a 144Hz ???

I have played with a 60Hz for over 10 years. And just yesterday i upgraded my self to 144hz. Oh my! 

My eyes are tearing up, i never write reviews. But i had to go to the website and write a review. I Am the happiest person alive. It improves everything,

FPS, and overall all gaming. Since its so smoooth. Its like i have been lagging forever without noticing it. 

Invest money on a 144hz. You will never regret it.. Trust me

I’ve got a 1440p 144hz moniter. It’s epic.

Quote me or mention me at @Shrekpad so I get notified 
pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

True, it's 2020 144Hz as minimum for a new monitor, they're dirt cheap. 

There is an argument for this though I think 120 is probably close enough to to 144 not to matter much.   Worth looking at the actual quality though. A lot of low end stuff pulls visually unpleasant tricks to get that last few hz.