USB Wifi adapter advertises 150mbps speeds but I'm barely reaching 1mbps up and down

muabrevay

I bought the TP-Link tl-wn722n USB Wifi adapter for my PC. Everywhere on its Amazon page and packaging it advertises speeds of ~150mbps, however I'm barely achieving 1% of that. I've run network tests on other devices such as my laptop and phone and their speeds are far faster, so I know it's not my router or anything. Does anyone know what could be causing this/how to fix it?

1 minute ago, muabrevay said:

Does anyone know what could be causing this/how to fix it?

Does the sped change the closer you get to the router?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Does the sped change the closer you get to the router?

My rig is pretty hard to move closer to the router, so I can't really test that out right now, but speeds were around the same when I was testing everything after building it while in the same room as the router.

39 minutes ago, muabrevay said:

My rig is pretty hard to move closer to the router, so I can't really test that out right now, but speeds were around the same when I was testing everything after building it while in the same room as the router.

What speed of USB port are you using? USB 3? 2? 1.1?

1 hour ago, muabrevay said:

TP-Link tl-wn722n USB Wifi adapter

USB networking products are Meh at best. The issue possibly here is this is a single band device only. 2.4 Ghz, and that band has a lot of shit that can cause issues with it. Cordless phones, Baby monitors, Microwaves, blue tooth, and any other devices that use 2.4 Ghz. While distance could be an issue, 2.4 Ghz does have pretty decent range and it does go thru walls pretty well. 

First thing I would do if you have an Android device, download WiFi analyzer. This will show you all the networks in your area and what wireless channel they are on. Pick the channel with the least amount of wireless networks on it. If thats not the issue, try updating the drivers for the device. Third I would also try changing USB ports. For example if this is in the back ports move it to the Front USB ports, computer cases are made of metal generally and can and will block WiFi signals. 4th buy a better adatper. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

buy a better adatper. 

Alright, that's now the only one of these solutions I haven't tried yet. I'm probably going to end up biting the bullet and doing that. Thanks for your help!

You typically get better results not buying the absolute cheapest thing you can find.

What router do you have?

That adapter is pretty old, and is only on single band 2.4 GHz with the 802.11n standard, which was published via IEEE over 10 years ago.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C