NeebsGaming Hacked

HarvDaMan

image.thumb.png.1a2f08fa29dd9a70fa49a64d3070c8db.pngthi

So Neebs Gaming and their gangs older smaller YouTube channel (hank and jeds) -displayed on the left as lodger wallet- have been hacked and are now displaying 24/7 looped live streams pretending to be giving out free bitcoin at links in description, this video <REMOVED> has been played on a loop for over an hour and they have restarted the stream several times so far to ping people with lots of notifications, nifty little crooks.

-Moved to Off Topic-

Please read the posting guidelines for tech news before posting there.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

How are these people getting hacked so easily?

Do people really care that little about their accounts where they dont have 2fa and use a "password123" or something?

12 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Do people really care that little about their accounts where they dont have 2fa and use a "password123" or something?

I'll have you know I use Password1234 :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

40 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I'll have you know I use Password1234 :P

lol.

For real though. It always amazes me how these people basically help hackers.

I mean if you get hacked by some serious organization out there that can hack into the fbi and nasa thats one thing. But those people arent hacking small youtube accounts.

These people are getting hack by someone who looked up how to bruteforce and what not on an internet forum. And then alot of times they go "well its youtubes fault i got hacked"

1 hour ago, RonnieOP said:

What exactly is Two Factor Authorization?

I think its just too much work involved just for a password.

2 hours ago, greenmax said:

What exactly is Two Factor Authorization?

I think its just too much work involved just for a password.

Its no work at all.

You go to login and you have to confirm the login with your phone.

I use it on everything i can. Takes an extra 30 seconds or so.

If we are talking about something idc about i wouldnt use it. Like on a forum account where im not selling anything just posting. But if its your youtube account then its worth it.

Regardless of how they were hacked I am curious what Youtube's response and protocol is for this situation. Notably I am surprised at Youtube's apparent lack of quick action. For a channel with ~2 million subscribers which is obviously being used for nefarious purposes (streaming garbage advertising for 24+ hours) I would expect Youtube to at least lock the account and shut it down while they sort through the hacking claims. Even better would be to revert any changes to minimize possible damages.

Even this short period of time is having a real impact on their channel and will likely continue to impact them for many months. I personally almost unsubscribed when I saw two unknown channels in my subscription feed this morning before I realized they were NeebsGaming and Hank & Jed with new names.

@Adahop *cough* Floatplane *coughcough*

16 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

youtube account

most people are not producers of video so wont login to yt

The telephone thing was on the news again, someone got hacked and money stolen. The theives ported the cell #

14 hours ago, harryk said:

Regardless of how they were hacked I am curious what Youtube's response and protocol is for this situation. Notably I am surprised at Youtube's apparent lack of quick action. For a channel with ~2 million subscribers which is obviously being used for nefarious purposes (streaming garbage advertising for 24+ hours) I would expect Youtube to at least lock the account and shut it down while they sort through the hacking claims. Even better would be to revert any changes to minimize possible damages.

Even this short period of time is having a real impact on their channel and will likely continue to impact them for many months. I personally almost unsubscribed when I saw two unknown channels in my subscription feed this morning before I realized they were NeebsGaming and Hank & Jed with new names.

@Adahop *cough* Floatplane *coughcough*

Tbh I dont think it would be wise just to lock a channel when its claimed its hacked. In theory that sounds good but then your just going to have people lying to get channels locked.

But from those tweets it seems youtube did lock the account now?

10 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Tbh I dont think it would be wise just to lock a channel when its claimed its hacked. In theory that sounds good but then your just going to have people lying to get channels locked.

But from those tweets it seems youtube did lock the account now?

I agree they shouldn't just lock an account based on a fruitless claim if everything else seems fine. But one glance at the channel will show it's not fine when the name has been changed, all videos deleted, and a current livestream of scam advertising. 

Also you are correct it appears that the Needs Gaming channel is now locked, or at least not live streaming anymore. But their second channel, Hank & Jed, is still streaming garbage.

An update from Adahop via reddit:

Hey all, Ada here. Between the two hacked channels we've lost 46,000 subscribers so far. We are far from the only YouTubers caught up in "The Hackening", we just happen to be the biggest. Here's the full known list of affected channels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PhmslGsUkOgPmCrmzcI1s8ZErE2Q5KcPBCCtF9admgg/edit#gid=1716791528

Anyway, my personal request of you all is that you help us get the word out to channels like Phillip DeFranco, Internet Today, and so on to help raise the volume for us and spread awareness of these hacks. If nothing else MAYBE it will help us recover from the loss of subscribers more readily when we get the channels back.

Thanks for sticking with us, everyone. #SaveNeebsGaming

It would appear that there has been a uptick in Youtube channels being hacked over the last couple months with most of them being used for cryptocurrency scams. 

• 4 months later...

Just to put a final pin in this (I found this thread while googling for something I tweeted) we figured out the cause of the hack.

One of our editors responded to a *very* suspicious email soliciting him and his personal channel for an ad. It was for some junk Russian video editing software. He downloaded it to his computer, which started a keylogger, and when he logged into the Neebs Gaming account on YouTube to upload the day's episode the attackers immediately had access.

After that it was several days of working to get the chanel back. If I had been awake at the time, there was a lag between the time that the "hackers" took control of the channel and when they revoked my manager privileges. In that window of time I could have locked them out from my own insulated account.

Since then I've forced better security practices down everyone's throats. They were all using one login with no MFA while I had set myself up with three-factor authentication, a generated password, and an approved manager account that was insulated from the channel. Now that's how everyone accesses the channel.