Why is my internet upload speed so slow?

GamerBlake

I did a speed test and apparently my internet upload speed is much slower than my internet download speed and I'm wondering why?

Which is more important for gaming online and is there any way to increase my upload speed? (without getting better internet service xD)

Or does anyone know what the average download & upload speed is in the US? o_O

internetspeed1.jpg

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

It's quite common for internet service providers to sell much less upload speed than download speed, so that's presumably why you have that difference.

For online gaming, you only need a small amount of download and upload speed, your connection is plenty on both counts. Having a low ping matters more.

It's how coax (DOCSIS) service works. There are much more channels for download speed than upload speed since 99% of consumers don't need tons of upload speed. There is full-duplex DOCSIS standards in the works which would give you as much upload as you have download but that's probably years away still.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

Or does anyone know what the average download & upload speed is in the US? o_O

You have Comcast. Comcast can only us 5Mhz to 42Mhz on the coax for upstream so, its pretty limited. While Docsis 3.1 will allow them to increase this, they have not started these upgrades. Probably due to cost. The fastest upload they offer is about 45 Mbps and that ONLY on the gigabit tier. 

6 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

is there any way to increase my upload speed?

No becuase Comcast doesnt want to. As it would cost a lot of money and require a large amounts of hardware changes at each of their centeral offices. Ive read they would have to replace a large number of networking gear. And as @Lurick pointed out, the next Docsis standard is on the horrizon and will provide symetical services. BUT dont expect Comcast to be deploying that for some time. Ive heard they reduced their upgrade budget a bit due to Net Neutrality being replealed. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

As per others, that's functioning as expected per the limitations of the physical medium, the DOCSIS 3 standard, and the data rate scheme implemented by Comcast.

I have the gig plan, 40 mbit upload sucks a lot at times.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

18 hours ago, Sakkura said:

It's quite common for internet service providers to sell much less upload speed than download speed, so that's presumably why you have that difference.

For online gaming, you only need a small amount of download and upload speed, your connection is plenty on both counts. Having a low ping matters more.

Oh ok, thanks! So are my ping and download/upload speeds enough for playing any online game out there? ?  

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

12 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

Oh ok, thanks! So are my ping and download/upload speeds enough for playing any online game out there? ?  

Yes, it should do fine. ?