How to use home wifi anywhere?

Teji007

Hi there. I saw this video regarding using home wifi anywhere in world suing this device named "Amplifi". This device is not cheap and like me not everyone can afford this device. Can you guys please help me and make a video or discuss here about how to use home wifi anywhere like this device but cheaper?

I shall be thankful to you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6TTHzdckZ0

Anywhere? I don't think so...in the same country, yes...use smartphone as access point... or just bring router and SIM card with you.

6 minutes ago, Teji007 said:

Hi there. I saw this video regarding using home wifi anywhere in world suing this device named "Amplifi". This device is not cheap and like me not everyone can afford this device. Can you guys please help me and make a video or discuss here about how to use home wifi anywhere like this device but cheaper?

I shall be thankful to you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6TTHzdckZ0

This is just a mesh WiFi thing, it's nothing new and routers have been capable of this since the wirelessG standard. My parents neighbor actually has one of these "home Wifi network extenders" that go in the light bulbs and apparently it works, but my gut tells me it probably adds lag.

What I -think- is going on with that video is that they made a point-to-point VPN using it, which isn't as clever as it sounds, it still depends on someone elses WiFi.

If you want access to certain files, host them somewhere, maybe your own server. Not every router allows remote access and you might need to upgrade internet plan, so costs will keep adding up...

Video itself is weird, but maybe you can scare some burglars away by remotely turning the music on...

I personally don't leave electronics plugged in when I leave the house for longer periods of time.

What is this, some kind of 4G router with a VPN connection to your home network?

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

2 hours ago, ObsidianAura said:

What is this, some kind of 4G router with a VPN connection to your home network?

Yes, that's pretty much it.

You don't need a Ubiquiti expensive setup for that, all you need is a router that can connect to a VPN, and a VPN on your network ... so about $50 for a router that supports 3rd party firmware and about an hour to setup a VPN on one of your PC.

I'm sure there are reasons for this type of setup, but appart from accessing devices at home, of circumventing geolocks when you're abroad, I don't see many use cases for this.

The OP seems to think he can get WiFi anywhere in the world with this, but that's not how that works at all, you need an internet connection for this to work. Pretty limited use cases IMO.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

59 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Yes, that's pretty much it.

You don't need a Ubiquiti expensive setup for that, all you need is a router that can connect to a VPN, and a VPN on your network ... so about $50 for a router that supports 3rd party firmware and about an hour to setup a VPN on one of your PC.

I'm sure there are reasons for this type of setup, but appart from accessing devices at home, of circumventing geolocks when you're abroad, I don't see many use cases for this.

The OP seems to think he can get WiFi anywhere in the world with this, but that's not how that works at all, you need an internet connection for this to work. Pretty limited use cases IMO.

It's Marketing then.

I'm not sure who this for really, Pro users are likely the only ones with things on their network like a NAS and would want to access it, and they probably have a working solution already either by cloud storage sync, or by the VPN methods you outlined.

I can't think why a basic user would want this either especially in 2020 when everything they want to interact with is likely to be on a cloud service.

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

Its not even a 4G router, it needs a WiFi or ethernet port to connect to the VPN back at home.  So its clearly not just plug and play, you'd need to login to the hotel WiFi.

Also the fact it broadcasts your own private WiFi seems a bad idea in a hotel, as you're competing with the hotels own WiFi, when simply using a VPN client on your phone or PC would bypass all that overhead.

In my experience hotel WiFi is often so crap that there is limited use for this setup anyway.

You literally need TWO apps on your phone to configure the teleport in the first place, so why not just have that app establish the VPN directly instead of having extra hardware and WiFi complicating things?  https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033208874-Teleport-Setting-Up-Teleport-with-the-Teleport-Mobile-App

Personally, I'm not sure I trust any third-party to manage remote access into my router.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7