No code tags on mobile ?

IAmAndre

Hi there. I know that most people don't write code on mobile but sometimes I want to in the Programming sub-forum but I don't see the "code" tag in the editor. Is there a reason behind it?

The toolset in editor has two modes. Narrow screen and wide screen. On mobile and on low res desktops you see only the narrow toolset. We've asked for expansion option for a while now, actually since forum was updated to this version back in 2015.

Personally I would replace smiley/emoji or strikethrough buttons with code tags and size/font options. As emojis are available on every mobile keyboard so need for them in narrow screens is quite few. On desktop messing with zoom brings full toolset if its needed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

26 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

The toolset in editor has two modes. Narrow screen and wide screen. On mobile and on low res desktops you see only the narrow toolset. We've asked for expansion option for a while now, actually since forum was updated to this version back in 2015.

Personally I would replace smiley/emoji or strikethrough buttons with code tags and size/font options. As emojis are available on every mobile keyboard so need for them in narrow screens is quite few. On desktop messing with zoom brings full toolset if its needed.

It's kind of silly to not include them on "narrow" anyway, since it already takes up more than one row anyway. I wasn't aware that it would show the other options if I turned it sideways, so thank you for that. My phone has a 19:9 aspect ratio, which is too difficult to comfortably type on when sideways.

Screenshot_20200210-032646.jpg

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

You can still use the BBCode option to make the code tags, something like this for example:

[code]
hello, this is code!
[/code]

Will produce this (when simply posted as plain text):

hello, this is code!

Not perfect, as I don't know how you can tell it to do a certain type of formatting (there probably is a possibility with parameters, but good luck finding the right ones :P ) and it's also sometimes weird with extra blanklines.. But it works..

P.S. this is how we use to do code blocks anyways back in the day!!

P.P.S. but it would be helpful if the editor could be changed, to drop some things from the mainbar to make it smaller, but add all the options under a little arrow.

EDIT: the whitelines will disappear if you simply post the first line of code on the 'code open' tag and the last line on the 'code close' tag. Like this:

Spoiler

[code]Hello, this is code![/code]

Result:

Hello, this is code!

Or like this:

[code] // First line.
// Second line.
// Last line. [/code]

Result:

// First line.		

// Second line.		

// Last line. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Also is it possible on mobile to delete quote blocks and other items of this kind?

2 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Also is it possible on mobile to delete quote blocks and other items of this kind?

Not really. Only remove content.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Do you actually write code on mobile? There's not enough space on mobile to put all of the buttons, so buttons like the code editor that don't make much sense on mobile were removed.

HTTP/2 203

37 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Do you actually write code on mobile? There's not enough space on mobile to put all of the buttons, so buttons like the code editor that don't make much sense on mobile were removed.

I don't in general but on the forum, yes, I like to help people. I don't really have time to do it when I'm on desktop because I'm usually working.