CPU Swap? Simple?

Built my first PC last month with Ryzen 5 3400G, I've since added a 1660 Super.

here is the question, I couldn't pass on the Ryzen 5 2600X sale at MC so should it just be a simple swap? Motherboard is ASRock B450.

Just a little nervous since everything working fine right now.

Yep, you can just drop it in and everything will work (assuming nothing is broken)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Should be a simple swap. The bios supports the 2600X natively. 

You are sacrificing per core IPC for core count though. More like a side grade, but should still be enjoyable.

Thank you for the help. My daughter wants to start streaming a little and my thinking was the extra cores would help with that. I'm new to this so am I wrong?

1 minute ago, RDX113NJ said:

Thank you for the help. My daughter wants to start streaming a little and my thinking was the extra cores would help with that. I'm new to this so am I wrong?

It would help, but GPU encoding would also be an option. Especially with the GTX 1660 Super having the newer Turing encoder.

What I mean by that, is using OBS (probably the most well-known/most used streaming programs) you can use different setups to 'encode' (convert) the screen image to a video to stream online:

image.png.d3233405674fbf49d58c4c1ed2623a20.png

I you will use x264, that will run solely on the CPU, in which case more cores will definitely help. You won't be sacrificing any single-core performance either.

But if you use NVENC, that will run on the videocard. So in that case more CPU cores wouldn't do much.

I only have experience  with recording (locally, so not streaming). For me, the NVENC encoder produced a much better image, with little to no hassle. I have a Ryzen 7 1700 (more cores, less single thread than a 2600X), but a better GPU (although if I am correct, the encoder is a seperate piece of the rest of the GPU, so that shouldn't be much of an issue).

So give NVENC a try, if x264 doesn't work out.

P.S. as others mentioned, the CPU swap is just a simple CPU swap. Nothing to worry about there ;) 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It could, you are gaining 2 cores/4threads with the 2600x but the chip's IMC for RAM isn't as good so there is a bit of tradeoff.

However I believe the advantage goes to the 2600x a little here.

The extra cores may help but TBH, I doubt you'd see much difference if you were to compare both chips head-to-head for all it would be used for.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll probably just swap it out and maybe do a budget build with the 3400G. 

Just be careful with the removal of the cpu cooler. you might pull the cpu out the socket with the cooler too.

Word of advice on that.

Try to slide the CPU cooler off the CPU itself by twisting/sliding it to the side and if it comes up, you're good.

If the CPU comes out be sure it comes straight up and out if possible. This way you don't torque the pins, bending them.

You can then take both and carefully slide the CPU to the side of the cooler to get it free of the cooler, be careful and do this slowly.

Beware of the CPU suddenly moving when it gets closer to being off the side - It will have resistance THEN want to move easily. Just remember it's not a race to get it off, do whatever it takes but do it with care to get it off without damaging the chip.

I'd suggest having the CPU to cooler surface at the edge of a table with the CPU/cooler surface Slightly above it to be exact so if and when it "Moves" it will simply slide off right onto the table surface and not fall to the floor, that will damage or even break pins on the CPU if it happens.

Also beware of where you push the chip, it's possible for your thumbs to bend a few pins where you push on the chip to slide it off so be careful of that and check that area once done to make sure any didn't get bent while doing that. One more thing - Make sure the pins of the CPU are facing UP not down when you do this (CPU top, cooler bottom orientation).

Only push on the CPU's PCB if possible.

Good luck.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Well I made the swap a couple hours ago and everything seems to be working fine. Thanks again everyone for the help.

On 2/8/2020 at 6:18 PM, EL02 said:

Just be careful with the removal of the cpu cooler. you might pull the cpu out the socket with the cooler too.

Done that...let me tell you, it's one of the worst feelings in the world...

On 2/8/2020 at 2:37 PM, glenalz81 said:

The 3400g is 12nm, same as the 2600x.

Also the 2600X has 16MB of L3 cache vs. 4MB on the 3400G, I bet that has a much bigger impact on gaming performance than losing two cores

Ryzen 5 5600 :: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC :: MSI B550-VC :: WD SN750 :: NH-D15 :: 32GB DDR4-3200 :: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG