3950x bottleneck

Hello! :D

I'm going to build a new computer, and since I mostly need CPU and RAM for now, I'm going with the ryzen 3950x with 32Gb of RAM but i'm keeping my old 970 strix OC (Can't buy everything at once for now, i'll wait for what 2020 brings as far as GPUs).

I don't know much about this, as you can probably tell, but, will this have any impact in the performance of this new build? Will the old 970 hold the performance of the 3950x down? I don't even know if this makes sense but oh well. Keep in mind this is not supposed to be a gaming pc, but a workstation for 3D modeling, texturing and rendering.

Thank you in advance!

If your workload is CPU-based, you're fine, the GPU doesn't matter

if your workload is GPU-based, the GPU will work as hard as it can, but it will still be a 970.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

31 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

a slow CPU will affect a GPU's performance because it can't keep it fed with instructions

a slow GPU will not affect a CPU's performance, it will simply be a slow GPU

From what perspective? in terms of FPS? a slow GPU will hold back the CPU even if it's considered the ideal scenario in gaming, but in case of 3D Modeling/Animation it has a mix of CPU and GPU so they both need to be up to the task in order to get the most out of them, depending on what he's doing and if there's any physics involved, as modeling only is largely single threaded.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

@_Syn_ @yaboistar @RadiatingLight

I mainly model, texture and render.
Aren't physics also done with CPU power?
Tbh, I'm actually not sure what involves GPU in 3DSmax, please let me know if you do.

Thank you 

11 hours ago, yaboistar said:

the cpu is not dependent on the gpu issuing commands to it.

a slow gpu will hamper overall performance in 3d/compute tasks, yes, this is not at question, but this is not the same as a gpu being held back because the system cannot send work for it to do fast enough.

Why is it not the same? everything required to execute and compute code independently is already stored in VRAM, same as the data being sent to the CPU for it to process is stored in RAM, they don't depend on each for the most part to issue commands (not intensive) but they both have to combine what they processed of their respective tasks to complete/run the program/game, and if one of them is not able to keep up or if there's performance headroom to be had then it's still called a bottleneck.

2 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

put a GT210 into a threadripper system and tell me if it makes CPU-driven applications slow down to a crawl.

your assumption that i care enough to continue arguing this fails to take into account that i just plain don't give a shit.

good day.

Put a Celeron with an RTX 2080 system and tell me if it makes GPU-only applications slow down to a crawl..

10 hours ago, xMIDIMA said:

I mainly model, texture and render.
Aren't physics also done with CPU power?
Tbh, I'm actually not sure what involves GPU in 3DSmax, please let me know if you do.

As far as I know modeling is single threaded, so the 3950X won't be able to help much there, and rendering can be done with either CPU or GPU (or even both) depending on which performs faster for you, the only place where you'd see the GTX 970 bottleneck is when you have to do live physics simulations with textures and the GPU is not fast enough to render what's on screen.

Yes, physics is done on CPU.

10 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

okay no, at what point did i say that wouldn't happen? infact, if i remember rightly, i said that exactly WOULD happen, ah, look, here it is

No, I'm trying to say the CPU doesn't affect GPU-only applications, for example if you render with a GPU, the CPU won't be used at all.

You weren't even talking about CPU-only or GPU-only applications, and I don't know why you would mention it now, what I replied is only when both of the components have tasks to complete together.

Why don't you get a 3900X instead and get a nice RX5700 or a 2060Super with the difference you'll be saving?

So you won't have to worry about having a 970 anymore. Also, you'll be on AM4 (which i'm assuming that you're currently not atm and this is what you will be upgrading too)

So your eventual upgrade path to 3950X and Ryzen 4000 will still be open rather than tapping your feet with basically the best consumer cpu out at present paired with a saggy floppy old dick of a 970

16 hours ago, xMIDIMA said:

Hello! :D

I'm going to build a new computer, and since I mostly need CPU and RAM for now, I'm going with the ryzen 3950x with 32Gb of RAM but i'm keeping my old 970 strix OC (Can't buy everything at once for now, i'll wait for what 2020 brings as far as GPUs).

I don't know much about this, as you can probably tell, but, will this have any impact in the performance of this new build? Will the old 970 hold the performance of the 3950x down? I don't even know if this makes sense but oh well. Keep in mind this is not supposed to be a gaming pc, but a workstation for 3D modeling, texturing and rendering.

Thank you in advance!

I think 3D modeling and rendering is more dependant on cpu performance, so your 970 probably won't hold it back at all.

@magicfuturealiens

Well, I will mainly do CPU based actions, that's why I'm going all in on the cpu and ram. I'll wait for the 2020's GPUs :) 

Thanks