IF YOU RECEIVE THIS EMAIL THEN DO NOT OPEN IT!!!!

These never fool me. Phishy emails are really annoying and it makes me wonder who is selling my info to these idiots!

Google does a pretty good job at sweeping these emails into your spam folder.

The problem is that they used an alternative way of sending out the phishing email, they used an unregistered domain to send out the email so this would bypass the sorting system where as normally the use a fake domain such as paypaI.com (the L is a i) and use that to send the email which would be picked up since its a untrusted email

The problem is that they used an alternative way of sending out the phishing email, they used an unregistered domain to send out the email so this would bypass the sorting system where as normally the use a fake domain such as paypaI.com (the L is a i) and use that to send the email which would be picked up since its a untrusted email

So what you're saying is that instead of checking whether mails from paypal are actually from a trusted paypal domain you check if they're from an untrusted domain? That's not very smart.

So what you're saying is that instead of checking whether mails from paypal are actually from a trusted paypal domain you check if they're from an untrusted domain? That's not very smart.

It probably wouldn't work either, it's easy to change the sender to whatever you want, or in that case an official paypal one.

Signatures are stupid.

nooo?? I don't target a specific service such as paypal? I mostly try to avoid hard code things like that since mostly you'd then target a specific provider and if you'd receive a email from a second then it wouldn't apply to it unless ofcourse I'd exclude them and let them go through a second system

I didn't get this email in any of my emails.

Not even in the spam folder.

I feel left out. ;)

I didn't get this email in any of my emails.

Not even in the spam folder.

I feel left out. ;)

Well that's a good thing then since they don't have your email stored somewhere

These paypal phishing scams have been going on for years.. This is nothing new..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Yea i got a e-mail from paypal once telling me my Paypal account had been compromised and that paypal locked my account until i reset my password. The e-mail looked 100% legit and i can see how MANY unfortunate people will fall for it.

Use a password that's entirely different for your important things such as e-mail, Paypal, Online banking etc and ONLY login in to those websites direct. Problem solved.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Yea i got a e-mail from paypal once telling me my Paypal account had been compromised and that paypal locked my account until i reset my password. The e-mail looked 100% legit and i can see how MANY unfortunately people will fall for it.

That's what I'm worried about since most people I know don't even know how a website works or emails work they more then likely would fall for such a trap, I've reported it to paypal and they gave me a email of a person who could take care of it and he said he'll make sure that the person behind this won't get away so hopefully everything should be in good hands now

In Gmail you can turn on weather something is 100% from Paypal and or some other places.

Whether*

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H CPU: i5 4690k GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB @ 1600mhz Case: Fractal Design define R5 CPU-Block: EK-Supremacy Acetal GPU-Block:EK-FC970 GTX WF3 Pump: Alphacool VPP655  Reservoir: EK-XRES 140 D5 HDD: WD Blue 1TB Keyboard: Ducky shine 3 /w mx black

Because PayPal would totally ban your account for infrequent activity.

That's why I got suspicious and checked the link

How did you almost fall for this? The grammar in this obvious phishing email is atrocious, PayPal would never use the word "banned" to refer to an account with "due infrequent logins." <-- REALLY?! So much for being able to spot a "spoof" email instantly.

Seems legit for a couple of seconds until you see their email address and the links that they redirect to. But thanks for the info. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I believed it until "log into your PayPal account at click here". And anyone smart would immediately look at the browser link. But then again, these aren't meant to fool smart people :P

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

I believed it until "log into your PayPal account at click here". And anyone smart would immediately look at the browser link. But then again, these aren't meant to fool smart people :P

Yerp that's what I was trying to show 

How did you almost fall for this? The grammar in this obvious phishing email is atrocious, PayPal would never use the word "banned" to refer to an account with "due infrequent logins." <-- REALLY?! So much for being able to spot a "spoof" email instantly.

Do you really bother checking the grammer on every email? I mean I barely even read things out the way the have been written, normally I just read the main keywords and would get a idea of what's going on.

Cheers for that, I just finished emailing a Nigerian Prince about some financial matters. You just have to be so careful these days on the interwebs. geez. :rolleyes:

There was quite a legit looking hotmail one going around, just watch out for that too. Basically wanted password and something else, I know most of you guys/girls know that whenever an email asks for a password it is fake but your family members or friends might not.
Yes, before you say it has now changed to outlook and you would have received about a million emails from MS telling you this I imagine people still get fooled.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Thanks man. 

CPU: Ryzen 7-3700x 4.4GHz, MB: ASUS PRIME B450M-AGPU: SAPPHIRE RX 590, RAM: 16GB Corsair 3200MHz, SSD: 480GB Kingston HDD: 2TB WD Green, CHASSIS: CoolerMaster HAF 912, PSU: CoolerMaster Thunder 700W, COOLERHyper 212 Black Edition

Cheers for that, I just finished emailing a Nigerian Prince about some financial matters. You just have to be so careful these days on the interwebs. geez. :rolleyes:

There was quite a legit looking hotmail one going around, just watch out for that too. Basically wanted password and something else, I know most of you guys/girls know that whenever an email asks for a password it is fake but your family members or friends might not.

Yes, before you say it has now changed to outlook and you would have received about a million emails from MS telling you this I imagine people still get fooled.

Will you be receiving 1,000,000 Nigerian dollars from him? Because I received that email as well and somehow ended up in the spam box, weird :/ No worries though I've send him my credit card and personal details and should receive the 1,000,000 Nigerian dollars by today and if I haven't then could you just please forward him my details?

they are:

Full Name: Dr. Prof. Mr. Mrs. Gandhi Gaboshi

Address: 69 flinstone street

DOB: 06/90/6969

Bank No: 6969-9696-690D

Telebank No.: 6969

Bank No.: 9696

This is all secret so don't share it with anyone! Especially don't share it over the net!

Wait, I thought we couldn't spam the forum? Or can we start posting our Spam here now?

When did the CoC's change, so many things change so fast around here :huh:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Will you be receiving 1,000,000 Nigerian dollars from him? Because I received that email as well and somehow ended up in the spam box, weird :/ No worries though I've send him my credit card and personal details and should receive the 1,000,000 Nigerian dollars by today and if I haven't then could you just please forward him my details?

they are:

Full Name: Dr. Prof. Mr. Mrs. Gandhi Gaboshi

Address: 69 flinstone street

DOB: 06/90/6969

Bank No: 6969-9696-690D

Telebank No.: 6969

Bank No.: 9696

This is all secret so don't share it with anyone! Especially don't share it over the net!

I've wondered what would happen if you sent those Nigerian prince emails the details of some hardcore underground mafia types.  I sure it wouldn't be hard to get the legit business details.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Wait, I thought we couldn't spam the forum? Or can we start posting our Spam here now?

When did the CoC's change, so many things change so fast around here :huh:

I'm basically respamming spam so technically it's not my spam.

Here have some spam

Spam_with_cans.jpeg

Do you really bother checking the grammer on every email? I mean I barely even read things out the way the have been written, normally I just read the main keywords and would get a idea of what's going on.

Do I even bother checking the grammar on every email? What does this even mean? Do I read? If I start to read something whether by keywords or not, and it doesn't make any sense, I'm going to notice it. Every single line of this email is filled with atrocious use of English, to me that would be an instant red flag, as most phishing emails are riddled with poor grammar and spelling, and is something that would be considered unacceptable for a company like PayPal to send out. You seem to have made this post because you were surprised this managed to bypass your alien technology algorithm, though it seems to have missed the mark on checking simple spelling and grammar.

A summary of my favorite lines:

"Dear Customer,"

"Encountered a problem in your account"

"May get banned due infrequent logins"

"Get back your account to normal state"

"Login to your paypal account at Click Here"

"Enter or your details"

"And you would be redirected"

Do I even bother checking the grammar on every email? What does this even mean? Do I read? If I start to read something whether by keywords or not, and it doesn't make any sense, I'm going to notice it. Every single line of this email is filled with atrocious use of English, to me that would be an instant red flag, as most phishing emails are riddled with poor grammar and spelling, and is something that would be considered unacceptable for a company like PayPal to send out. You seem to have made this post because you were surprised this managed to bypass your alien technology algorithm, though it seems to have missed the mark on checking simple spelling and grammar.

A summary of my favorite lines:

"Dear Customer,"

"Encountered a problem in your account"

"May get banned due infrequent logins"

"Get back your account to normal state"

"Login to your paypal account at Click Here"

"Enter or your details"

"And you would be redirected"

Well english was my 3rd language so don't expect it to be the best ok ;) Just started speaking it 5 years ago