Which is the better option? ryzen vs intel

Hey guys!

I'm looking for an upgrade.

I'm thinking on whether to go blue or red.

I've had my fx 8350 for 8 years now so whatever i go with will blow my current setup out of the water and across the land and into the water again :)

I'm currently looking at two different setups (currency is SEK so divide by aprox. 10 to get € or $)

From my understanding the intel cpu is not as reliant on ram speed as the ryzen. I'm also not sure whether the boards are decent. I feel like I want to spend the majority of my money on the cpu and not motherboard

therefore I am in the last second leaning towards the blue side, although all the hype around ryzen's performance have had me thinking about going red for the longest time... help me out guys, please! xD 

image.thumb.png.a5747c25ebfb2159882518c7f2ba16b0.pngblue team ~710€

image.thumb.png.606486a2ac3dfdd30f528d83b6ccc774.png red team ~770€

for those prices, only go intel if all you do is game above 60hz, i'd go with the 3700x here

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

What is it for? Overall the 3700x is just a better CPU but in some specific cases the 9700k is faster. You also don't need an x570 motherboard, b450 will do fine (though you need to update the bios with a dud cpu).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

yeah im not sure if the store upgrades their boards, and i have no friends in reach that run the previous gen cpu's for the bios upgrade? is it worth buying a tomahawk MAX board then?

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

What is it for? Overall the 3700x is just a better CPU but in some specific cases the 9700k is faster. You also don't need an x570 motherboard, b450 will do fine (though you need to update the bios with a dud cpu).

I am only going to play Escape From Tarkov and do music stuff on Fruity loops, aswell as programming (databases, c++ etc)

https://www.inet.se/

is the store im most likely going to buy from so if someone could set me up with the best price performance system that would be amazing (pref 3700x, can go 3600 aswell if thats ok)

3 minutes ago, mememaster69 said:

I am only going to play Escape From Tarkov and do music stuff on Fruity loops, aswell as programming (databases, c++ etc)

well then there's no point in paying more for the Intel chip... though to be honest your current pc seems fine for these purposes.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

well then there's no point in paying more for the Intel chip... though to be honest your current pc seems fine for these purposes.

im getting around 40-50 fps in tarkov and i think my cpu is dying since its been overclocked for the majority of its lifetime, also i cant have it crap out on me if im in the middle of a university thing, so im kind of in a pinch.

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean from the programming side the 3700x would be more beneficial depending on what you're doing exactly.

algorithms and databases

1 minute ago, mememaster69 said:

im getting around 40-50 fps in tarkov and i think my cpu is dying since its been overclocked for the majority of its lifetime

CPUs don't gradually get worse because they've been overclocked. They either work or they don't. Make sure you're under 64°C to rule out throttling. Check your CPU usage while you're playing, in particular check if any single cores are being hammered. Also check your gpu usage (by the way, what gpu do you have?)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

CPUs don't gradually get worse because they've been overclocked. They either work or they don't. Make sure you're under 64°C to rule out throttling. Check your CPU usage while you're playing, in particular check if any single cores are being hammered. Also check your gpu usage (by the way, what gpu do you have?)

970, thing is ive been trying all kinds of settings on tarkov and it does not seem to matter if i play on ultra or all the lowest settings, outside a big parkinglot ive tried all this and consistantly seeing ~45 fps no matter the settings with 100% gpu usage cpu is around 50-60% load. ill send more benchmarks unless we come to a conclusion now

47 minutes ago, mememaster69 said:

Hey guys!

I'm looking for an upgrade.

I'm thinking on whether to go blue or red.

I've had my fx 8350 for 8 years now so whatever i go with will blow my current setup out of the water and across the land and into the water again :)

I'm currently looking at two different setups (currency is SEK so divide by aprox. 10 to get € or $)

From my understanding the intel cpu is not as reliant on ram speed as the ryzen. I'm also not sure whether the boards are decent. I feel like I want to spend the majority of my money on the cpu and not motherboard

therefore I am in the last second leaning towards the blue side, although all the hype around ryzen's performance have had me thinking about going red for the longest time... help me out guys, please! xD 

image.thumb.png.a5747c25ebfb2159882518c7f2ba16b0.pngblue team ~710€

image.thumb.png.606486a2ac3dfdd30f528d83b6ccc774.png red team ~770€

Ryzen is way better right now, without a doubt.

@Sauron
I'm guessing my results are because I am playing locally (offline without AI) but is there anything that stands out in these pictures?

While having higher settings gets me 60fps here i can feel that the game is alot more sluggish with the inputs...

unknown.png

unknown.png

Full restart after changing all settings.

unknown.png

unknown.png

I don't know exactly why this is more textbook increase of performance than i expected, but im guessing that if im going online and there are players and AI the cpu has to work harder and the performance takes the hit that brings me down to 40 fps regardless? or am i clueless on this one?

something like

970 gtx is also due for replacement. would suggest this for 1080p

approx 834.20 euros but i think the krona be more accurate sounds like you are in sweden.

7 minutes ago, mememaster69 said:

@tech.guru thank you! exactly what im looking for :D but wont the 4gb struggle with games like tarkov?

if you can afford, get the 5700 xt for extra frame buffer it will be a more significant upgrade than 5500xt if you can afford the extra cost. it will also allow 1440p gaming or ultra high framerates for 1080p

your graphics card is good but is now quite old, 

if can wait a little while longer, there will ray tracing support in the next amd refresh later on this year

but  uh the waiting game in technology, its never ending.

if you have the money and want to enjoy and upgrade it now 5700xt is a very good choice

Ryzen CPU specs looks lot better

L3 Cache:  32MB vs 12MB

Memory Bandwidth: 47.68 GiB/s  vs  39.74 GiB/s

PCIe Max Lanes:  20 vs  16

PCIe 4 vs PCIe 3

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

@Sauron
These are my results jumping into live games above is lowest settings, below is highest settings

unknown.png

unknown.png

note, textures does not change since i didnt restart but its sort of emulating the results i was explaining earlier.

30 frames per second in the last screen shot is playable but less than an ideal experience.

you will definitely get a better experience after you upgrade.

higher fps and smoother game experience with all the highest graphic details enabled

1 minute ago, tech.guru said:

30 frames per second in the last screen shot is playable but less than an ideal experience.

you will definitely get a better experience after you upgrade. higher fps and smoother game experience

even if i keep the 970 for now?

while your CPU is probably a bottle neck for games, it would not improve things dramatically just upgrading the CPU.

you would need to upgrade the graphics card also to a more modern card.

its a very old card. performance seems good but its using older GDDR5 and there has just been many improvements. if can always keep it and see how well it performs after the upgrade for the games you play

To keep my budget would it be smarter to go with 3600x and 5700xt do you think? and then what ram and mobo would be the best suited ones?