curious question about the 5ghz limit or wall

im curious about something i have an 8700k in my windows computer and id like to know about the 5ghz overclock thing whats the difference between a 8700k running at 5ghz and a 9900k running at 5ghz it sounds like theres no difference why cant CPUs be overclocked even higher than 5ghz hell why cant 5ghz be the base clock speed and like 10ghz be overlocked speeds of newer CPUs is there something im not understanding did we hit some kind of limit a single CPU can do?

1 minute ago, SirTexas said:

why cant CPUs be overclocked even higher than 5ghz

Says who

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Intel has essentially been on the same architecture for the last 5 years+, so it's not much of a wonder why they must hit a certain wall some time.

I mean, we have seen even an FX 9590 hit 5.1Ghz and some chips even more on LN2, so it's not like it's the theoretical limit, but more like the practical limit.

At some point you will be hitting thermal limits, or just limits on how far the silicon goes.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Says who

serious answer please

1 minute ago, SirTexas said:

serious answer please

Serious answer is yes, we have hit a clock speed limit with current CPU technology that's very hard to break.

But I mean what I said, CPUs can be overclocked over 5GHz. world record holders for CPU clock speeds get pretty close to 10GHz

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Serious answer is yes, we have hit a clock speed limit with current CPU technology that's very hard to break.

But I mean what I said, CPUs can be overclocked over 5GHz. world record holders for CPU clock speeds get pretty close to 10GHz

so is there a difference between a 8700k running at 5ghz vs a 9900k running at 5ghz

2 minutes ago, SirTexas said:

so is there a difference between a 8700k running at 5ghz vs a 9900k running at 5ghz

Maybe, there may be a very slight IPC increase between the two. With the 9900KS, it's actually got a very slight IPC decrease from the 9900K. KS also clocks higher on average though (5.3 on air should be a lot more common than on the 9900K and 8700K, though good chips from those models will still clock similarly, and good 8086Ks did as well) so it can overcome that slight nerf. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

24 minutes ago, SirTexas said:

im curious about something i have an 8700k in my windows computer and id like to know about the 5ghz overclock thing whats the difference between a 8700k running at 5ghz and a 9900k running at 5ghz it sounds like theres no difference why cant CPUs be overclocked even higher than 5ghz hell why cant 5ghz be the base clock speed and like 10ghz be overlocked speeds of newer CPUs is there something im not understanding did we hit some kind of limit a single CPU can do?

There's two major reasons why clock speeds tend to hit a wall:

• Power budget. Clock speed is directly related to how much power a processor will dissipate, which in turn means how much heat it generates. Sure we can make processors run to 7-8GHz, but they're outputting so much heat that it requires basically running freezer unit directly on the processor to keep it from frying.
  • Timing issues. Instructions are processed on the CPU in stages. Some stages may become a bottleneck, meaning it limits the actual performance in the end. For example if we had this setup:
    21164347225l.jpg
    And stage 3 was the bottleneck, then increasing the clock speed means that while the rest of the stages complete their work in a shorter amount of time, stage 3 will just hold up the line rendering all of that time savings moot:
    21164347163l.jpg

There's probably other reasons other things, but those are the two primary ones.

1 hour ago, SirTexas said:

You experience a thermal wall.

Look into de-lidding and using Liquid Metal under the IHS plate. You'll drop around 15-20c in temps just from that alone.

I run 5.4ghz with HT off, 5.3ghz with HT on. 

(turning off HT helps reduce thermals and power consumption.)

The reason for lower base clocks is the pipeline length. That's why AMDs FX series processors (long pipelines) where hitting beyond 8ghz on LN2, I've had mine mid 7ghz. Transisor density, TLB errata and various other things prevent chips from being really high in frequency. 

But technically, the manufacturers build the cpu as best as possible for efficiency and per core IPC. 

IPC does not come directly from cpu frequency either. Other variables like memory speed and latency increase this performance.

So it is possible to have a processor that is only 4ghz be faster than a cpu that is 4.7ghz. Intel (of the same era as->) vs AMD FX is a very good example of this.

35 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

There is no wall. Only temporary limitations... 

well its a good thing its not my job to create the next generation of CPUs that has a base clock speed of 5ghz and can overclock to 10ghz

8 hours ago, SirTexas said:

2 cores and $150

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x