Please Educate Me On VR Headsets

nightmarevoid

I wasn't sure if I should put this in Peripherals or Displays, so I put it in General  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I finally finished my new build, and now I have the llamathrust to up my display tech. The thing is, I haven't been paying much attention to the current happenings in VR. I know Valve is making a new headset with Valve branding, and Oculus threw out a few different Versions of the rift, but I don't really know what's what, so I was hoping the kind people here could help. 

I'm more biased towards the Rift because I plan to play sitting down (I have cats that learned how to commit apology-treat fraud, no spare room for a VR... room, and minor nerve damage from the chest down sooo yeah) and I remember people saying it has better controllers. That being said, I'm open to helpful disagreement. Also I don't get motion sickness, but I think I would get annoyed by the "Screen Door Effect". I think that's all the necessary info, but I have some questions below:

1. I saw something called the oculus quest, which was standalone, but the website now shows a fiber optic cable that can connect to a PC. In this case, does the headset work like just a display, or is it limited? 

2. I remember seeing reports that oculus and HTC were only allowing certain games to be played on their tech. I hate exclusives. Is this still going on? Where can I find what headset plays what games?

3. Sensors. If I'm in a chair, how necessary are they? Do the headsets not have a gyro inside to sense motion?  Do I always need at least two?

4. Is the Oculus CV1 still viable? I've seen one of those for sale used, and I'm really into used stuff.

Don't feel the need to type everything out. If there's an article that can answer all of my questions you can just post that. Thanks in advance!

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

None of these headsets eliminate the screendoor effect.  You'll need to go quite a bit higher resolution for that to happen, and for once it isn't the GPU tech that's holding it back, it's the display cable bandwidth.

1. It has both with a new update, it's firstly a wireless device powered by a mobile processor in the headset, but it can now also be connected to the PC.

2. Yes it's still going on but there's various workarounds for most of them, and they're all collected in a community spreadsheet that gets updated frequently.

3. Sensors are a must, and 2 is the minimum recommended.

4. CV1 is still viable, but IIRC it's a bit lower res etc Just get a Rift 2nd hand, that's what I use.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

None of these headsets eliminate the screendoor effect.  You'll need to go quite a bit higher resolution for that to happen, and for once it isn't the GPU tech that's holding it back, it's the display cable bandwidth.

1. It has both with a new update, it's firstly a wireless device powered by a mobile processor in the headset, but it can now also be connected to the PC.

2. Yes it's still going on but there's various workarounds for most of them, and they're all collected in a community spreadsheet that gets updated frequently.

3. Sensors are a must, and 2 is the minimum recommended.

4. CV1 is still viable, but IIRC it's a bit lower res etc Just get a Rift 2nd hand, that's what I use.

Thanks for the help! I've found both CV1 and Quest for a good price. Oculus has very little technical info no their website, so it looks like I'll be doing some digging.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

Corsair SFX 750W

1 minute ago, nightmarevoid said:

Thanks for the help! I've found both CV1 and Quest for a good price. Oculus has very little technical info no their website, so it looks like I'll be doing some digging.

Both first gen devices from Oculus and Vive share the exact same specs IIRC.  Same resolution and refresh rates.  Refresh rates are a major concern, as the PS4 VR only does 60hz and that's....not enough for VR.

2 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Both first gen devices from Oculus and Vive share the exact same specs IIRC.  Same resolution and refresh rates.  Refresh rates are a major concern, as the PS4 VR only does 60hz and that's....not enough for VR.

I totally understand. My main concern for the Quest is that it has a refresh of only 75Hz, and I don't know how well the inside-out sensors will do.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

Corsair SFX 750W

1 minute ago, nightmarevoid said:

I totally understand. My main concern for the Quest is that it has a refresh of only 75Hz, and I don't know how well the inside-out sensors will do.

The sensors on the quest are great, and don't require external sensors if you're doing the wireless thing.  I don't know about the wired usage of that though, it's pretty new functionality for it.