2060 super running hot and stuttering in big case with 7 fans

Joshy131

Hey guys i just got a new oc and im using a rtx2060 super and it ceeps getting hotter than 80°c.

I set the fans to 100% put 7 fans in my case ,one direktly cooling the gpu and still my card get 80°c and starts to strugel at call of duty mw on high setings.

I got an ryzen 5 3600x with a big cooler 

And a big case (corsairgraphite series 780T 

Should i send the gpu back and buy a big 2070 or an 1080?

4 minutes ago, Joshy131 said:

Hello,

What GPU do you have ? (brand and model)

Maybe the OC is too much.

27 minutes ago, Joshy131 said:

Hey guys i just got a new oc and im using a rtx2060 super and it ceeps getting hotter than 80°c.

I set the fans to 100% put 7 fans in my case ,one direktly cooling the gpu and still my card get 80°c and starts to strugel at call of duty mw on high setings.

I got an ryzen 5 3600x with a big cooler 

And a big case (corsairgraphite series 780T 

Should i send the gpu back and buy a big 2070 or an 1080?

It doesn't matter how many fans you have, it matters how the airflow works in your case.

My entire computer has only two fans.

Check the clock speed of the GPU. Basically it will boost it's clock speed until it either hits a power limit or a temperature limit (which is 83C) if I understand it correctly. You can set these limits lower using something MSI Afterburner. My card will go to  83C, but if I tell it to not exceed 80C it still clocks higher than the advertised boost speeds (slightly lower as when the temperature limit is at 83C). It doesn't have to be faulty, it could just be more enthusiastic than you are comfortable with.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

You might want to re-paste the GPU. If you have a 2.5 slot or 3 fan 2060s 80c is too high. If you have a 2 slot 2 fan 2060s than 80c could be reasonable.

My Asus 1660ti Dual was running at 83c when I got it, I installed Asus GPU Tweak and found that was the intended temp target at 100% power. I just basically got rid of the factory OC by setting the max temp to 73c as I don't need that much power. 

2 hours ago, yaboistar said:

you can have a positive pressure case with 2 intake fans which will still run hot because there's no fan to extract the air

That's exactly what I'm doing.

The only reason a regular build might need "extraction" is because they're not properly sealed and the air will leak before having past over the heat sinks.

Otherwise you don't need extraction, in fact having that makes no difference other than increase flow rate.

5 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

you're wrong.

1.) "properly sealed" computer cases practically don't exist and there are perhaps only a handful, infact i can only think of one, that has some kind of air-locking HEPA filtration setup to make it "properly sealed", and considering how much flow impedence a HEPA filter generates you bet your ass there's gonna be intake and exhaust fans there just to move enough air to keep anything more than a pi cool.

2.) you NEED flow inside a case to keep the case's internal temperatures down, especially with open air style GPU coolers which are by far and away the norm now. not only this, but the airflow from, say, a rear exhaust fan, creates a localised area of high airflow around motherboard components like the VRM, which is something that you really, really want to keep cool. you can stack up as many intake fans in your case as you like but relying on pressure alone to vent the air out is not enough given the power consumption and, consequently, heat output of modern hardware. positive pressure is not enough all by itself. you set a case up to have good flow, and then make it so that it will have just slightly more air coming in than air going out at any one time, because it does not take much to keep dust out of a machine with even the smallest amount of positive internal pressure.

1. So? Seal it manually. Why would you put a filter on the exhausts?

2. You do have flow inside the case, that's what the fans are doing.

Who said anything about where the fans are located? Of course there will be placements that don't work.

I just told you my PC only has two intake fans and it absolutely works, btw I'm cooling a 7820x with 2080ti.

What you're saying are simply rule of thumbs for regular builds, they're not actually based on the physics of how cooling works. You need to be more flexible in your thinking and understanding.

2 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

okay, you're completely right. i apologise profoundly for trying to argue with you on a topic you are knowledgable about.

What is that supposed to prove? That my PC isn't in fact working as I thought it was?

Or maybe it has more fans than I knew about?

2 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

it is an apology for arguing with you on a topic that you know more about, and an admission that you are right and that you have won the argument.

once again, i am sorry for questioning your advice to OP

The current Mac Pro and the last gen Mac Pro both have only intake fans, a lot of laptops only have exhaust fans, that new Xbox Series X looks like it'll only have one fan.

What can I say? You've been living under a rock, the rock of assembling standard PC components.