About to begin my first ever self build..any tips or advice?

GamerBlake
3 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Case fans are low RPM and are not made for static pressure, unlike the fans that come with your radiator.  They will not work well together.  And having the fans on the inside is more convenient, as any dust you accumulate will be stuck on the outside of the radiator, which only necessitates you remove the front panel to clean.  Having the fans in front of the radiator means dust will be stuck in between the rad and fan, requiring you to remove the radiator and fan from the case to clean.

Oh ok so I messed up by switching it around and trying to keep the fans visible to the front of the case? ? 

Here is how I re-installed them last night. They are sucking air in and I plan on having the top and back fans as exhaust to blow air out.

080B0DF0-F274-4A39-A0B6-FA20DB3281CC.jpeg

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

3 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Oh ok so I messed up by switching it around and trying to keep the fans visible to the front of the case? ? 

Here is how I re-installed them last night. They are sucking air in and I plan on having the top and back fans as exhaust to blow air out.

They all work.  I'm just telling you what you'll have to do to clean dust.  You have to decide whether the extra time and effort is worth it for a nicer looking case where the fans and ARGB are visible.  If they are then go for it.  I have mine on the outside too, only cos my tubing is actually a TINY bit short if I have to put my radiator further in the front, and the fans at the back.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

They all work.  I'm just telling you what you'll have to do to clean dust.  You have to decide whether the extra time and effort is worth it for a nicer looking case where the fans and ARGB are visible.  If they are then go for it.  I have mine on the outside too, only cos my tubing is actually a TINY bit short if I have to put my radiator further in the front, and the fans at the back.

Oh ok, so it won’t affect performance or anything? It’s just a matter of needing to clean more often than the other way if I prefer better aesthetics? ? 

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

1 minute ago, GamerBlake said:

Oh ok, so it won’t affect performance or anything? It’s just a matter of needing to clean more often than the other way if I prefer better aesthetics? ? 

Not needing to clean more often, you have to unmount the entire thing from the case to clean it.  You have to get the radiator and fans off the case to get in between the fans and rad after all.

2 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Not needing to clean more often, you have to unmount the entire thing from the case to clean it.  You have to get the radiator and fans off the case to get in between the fans and rad after all.

Do you know how often it will require doing that? I have my PC running about 3-4 hours a day.

If it’s like once every few months I don’t mind but if it’s like once a week I will probably want to install the fans on the other side.

2 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Do you know how often it will require doing that? I have my PC running about 3-4 hours a day.

If it’s like once every few months I don’t mind but if it’s like once a week I will probably want to install the fans on the other side.

One every 3 months maybe?  Or 6 if the room isn't dusty.

-= Merged Topics =-

Please do not re-post a topic under a different title.

One topic is enough, members will continue to contribute to one thread as so not to ensue confusion.

Thank you.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

If this was screwed onto the front of the case as is, this is still front exhaust....

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Merged Topics =-

Please do not re-post a topic under a different title.

One topic is enough, members will continue to contribute to one thread as so not to ensue confusion.

Thank you.

Oh ok, I wasn’t exactly trying to repost the same thing just asking something different about my original post.

Sorry if I wasn’t supposed to do that.

42 minutes ago, For Science! said:

If this was screwed onto the front of the case as is, this is still front exhaust....

No I flipped the fans around so the air is blowing into the case rather than out.

See the fans are blowing towards the radiator which is behind them so it will blow through the radiator and into the case as an intake.

9A9A8D86-B2E6-4D9F-91CA-4B1C4F28DDCF.jpeg

30 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

No I flipped the fans around so the air is blowing into the case rather than out.

See the fans are blowing towards the radiator which is behind them so it will blow through the radiator and into the case as an intake.

So in this picture, the fans will be blowing air towards the camera.

See video below for visuals for this exact fan since you don't seem to get how fan airflow works.

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

So in this picture, the fans will be blowing air towards the camera.

See video below for visuals for this exact fan since you don't seem to get how fan airflow works.

Well then I guess Linus was wrong when he said fans blow the opposite direction of the side the logo stickers are on.

Just now, GamerBlake said:

Well then I guess Linus was wrong when he said fans blow the opposite direction of the side the logo stickers are on.

Except for the wackiest of fans, fans almost always push against the grill side of fan. I'm pretty sure whatever Linus said in the video you are describing is correct, you may have just misinterpreted or misremembered the statement. Feel free to post a link to the video if you are bothered.

10 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Except for the wackiest of fans, fans almost always push against the grill side of fan. I'm pretty sure whatever Linus said in the video you are describing is correct, you may have just misinterpreted or misremembered the statement. Feel free to post a link to the video if you are bothered.

I’ll have to find it. I’m not bothered by it I’m just explaining why I thought it worked the way it did.

If I recall correctly he said something like: “If you’re unsure of which way the fans blow, there’s often an arrow pointing in the direction they blow. If not, here’s an an easy way to remember: ‘The base of the fan, with the label on it, is usually the direction the fan will be blowing air.’”

4 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

You remembered well enough for me to find the video, an old techquickier

"Out and away from that side". Which is correct.

Congrats!   That GPU is as beast as can be. ?

Seems like a good excuse to try some rtx games.

4 hours ago, Matacks said:

Congrats!   That GPU is as beast as can be. ?

Seems like a good excuse to try some rtx games.

Thanks! ? 

I just wish it wasn’t so darned expensive. ? 

5 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

Thanks! ? 

I just wish it wasn’t so darned expensive. ? 

Now, I've always thought this.. computer hardware has to be one of the worst possible investments of money you can make..  that thing is gonna depreciate faster than a new Porsche.   But, hey it's still fun as a hobby and worth it to be on the cutting edge.     Enjoy it my man!..  also, the way we build PCs here on ltt, they typically last longer anyway.. I'm still rocking a 2011 socket.  ?

6 minutes ago, Matacks said:

Now, I've always thought this.. computer hardware has to be one of the worst possible investments of money you can make..  that thing is gonna depreciate faster than a new Porsche.   But, hey it's still fun as a hobby and worth it to be on the cutting edge.     Enjoy it my man!..  also, the way we build PCs here on ltt they typically last longer anyhow.. I'm still rocking a 2011 socket.  ?

Yeah it’s true it’s definitely not a good investment.

But I’ve always been the kind of person who strongly believes that people have the right to do whatever they want with their own money (as long as it’s legal) and I have always wanted to know what it’s like to have an xX80 Ti GPU before it became outdated or replaced by something else.

I couldn’t afford a 780 Ti, 980 Ti or 1080 Ti when those came out so I pulled the trigger on the 2080 Ti.

Does it have great price for performance? No. Will I do it again? Probably not.

But just like people sometimes buy luxury clothes, cars, food, cosmetics, etc., I chose to spoil myself a little bit by buying a 2080 Ti that I always wanted.

Plus I was also sort of rewarding myself for 2 years of sobriety. ? I figure I saved a lot of money not buying the pills and stuff and that I deserved to reward myself for achieving 2 years clean and sober. ??‍♂️ 

19 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Yeah it’s true it’s definitely not a good investment.

But I’ve always been the kind of person who strongly believes that people have the right to do whatever they want with their own money (as long as it’s legal) and I have always wanted to know what it’s like to have an xX80 Ti GPU before it became outdated or replaced by something else.

I couldn’t afford a 780 Ti, 980 Ti or 1080 Ti when those came out so I pulled the trigger on the 2080 Ti.

Does it have great price for performance? No. Will I do it again? Probably not.

But just like people sometimes buy luxury clothes, cars, food, cosmetics, etc., I chose to spoil myself a little bit by buying a 2080 Ti that I always wanted.

Plus I was also sort of rewarding myself for 2 years of sobriety. ? I figure I saved a lot of money not buying the pills and stuff and that I deserved to reward myself for achieving 2 years clean and sober. ??‍♂️ 

Oh shoot, you quotes me.  I was gonna edit and make it less doomy gloomy..  oh well.  

Sir, your investment sounds like a wholly worthwhile endeavor.  Also, with the display port output on your GPU you can always get into VR.    

I'm a Minecraft fan myself so I like trying the SUES PTGI shader mod.  It's like an rtx shader for Minecraft tho technically not Ray tracing but path tracing .  But, oh boy, with a 2080ti the skys the limit.. I'd probably try battlefield V even though I don't like the feminist element but instead for the rtx.  Or just run some 3Dmark benchmarks and see what the beast can do.  

Hey guys this is my first ever 100% self build and I tried to do cable management the best I could.

Did I do good or is it a crappy cable management job? ? 

1C060F9F-8896-4A4B-B4C6-5EB53E7697E5.jpeg

I would say that's a solid job overall

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

IMHO try to hide the cables over the CPU and you will be OK :D

i have the same case and did the VGA power cables different, try routing them by the bottom hole right below the VGA..

but its pretty good. 

as for ur first build its a very good job, if you´d do it like that in your 10th build then it would be just ok around 6/10 in general but for first time id say its a solid 8/10

Some EU input to Canadian IT :D 

Looks good. But I think cable management is just as important on the back; because I think cable management is mostly about being able to easily service your PC.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/