Google Pixel 3a Battery Drain Overnight

AYDANN6ix9ine

So I recently received my first smartphone yesterday, which was a Google Pixel 3a I bought on a special deal on Amazon for $249. Honestly, I am loving the experience so far. Great and easy OS, snappiness, stunning photos, OLED Display, etc. But one thing that is bothering me is when I woke up this morning, I found my phone to be at 72% when I went to sleep with it at 97%. What is causing its battery to be drained so hard overnight? I don't have always-on display or anything like that so I am not sure why. Honestly if it were to keep up like this, I would return it but I really don't want to considered the great experience I have already been having with the Pixel. Anyone know any way I could prevent the battery drain?

5 minutes ago, AYDANN6ix9ine said:

So I recently received my first smartphone yesterday, which was a Google Pixel 3a I bought on a special deal on Amazon for $249. Honestly, I am loving the experience so far. Great and easy OS, snappiness, stunning photos, OLED Display, etc. But one thing that is bothering me is when I woke up this morning, I found my phone to be at 72% when I went to sleep with it at 97%. What is causing its battery to be drained so hard overnight? I don't have always-on display or anything like that so I am not sure why. Honestly if it were to keep up like this, I would return it but I really don't want to considered the great experience I have already been having with the Pixel. Anyone know any way I could prevent the battery drain?

For a new phone it's really to much, probably a battery issue. RMA it

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

4 minutes ago, Constantin said:

For a new phone it's really to much, probably a battery issue. RMA it

This probably isn't true.  OP needs to look if an app is draining his battery before he assumes it's the actual battery.  

@AYDANN6ix9ine  I don't know what the menu structure on vanilla Android is, but the path on LG is Settings > General tab > Battery and at the bottom it shows app usage.  At the top of the screen you can look under Battery Usage which breaks it down, but doesn't show specific apps usage.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Agree with @nick name. Especially since it's a brand new phone, it's highly possible that it's had to install a whole load of updates that might've caused this to happen, so check for app battery usages in Settings, and also check if this happens the next few days too.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

13 minutes ago, AYDANN6ix9ine said:

What is causing its battery to be drained so hard overnight?

Background updates etc. If there is battery to be used. At night phones like to do app updates and OS updates. 

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

This probably isn't true.  OP needs to look if an app is draining his battery before he assumes it's the actual battery.  

@AYDANN6ix9ine  I don't know what the menu structure on vanilla Android is, but the path on LG is Settings > General tab > Battery and at the bottom it shows app usage.  At the top of the screen you can look under Battery Usage which breaks it down, but doesn't show specific apps usage.  

No matter what app, as it is also a brand new phone, how could it drain 25% of the battery overnight ?

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Just now, Constantin said:

No matter what app, as it is also a brand new phone, how could it drain 25% of the battery overnight ?

This will sound rude, but you clearly don't understand that rogue processes can absolutely drain a battery.  It doesn't matter the age of the phone -- if an app is constantly performing tasks in the background then it's going to consume power.  And depending on what those tasks are it could be a dramatic increase in power consumption.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Background updates etc. If there is battery to be used. At night phones like to do app updates and OS updates. 

My phone got Android update yesterday and some play store apps and used 4% of the battery.

And it's also a 3 year phone, S8

1 minute ago, Constantin said:

My phone got Android update yesterday and some play store apps and used 4% of the battery.

Just because you're not experiencing the issue I'm describing doesn't mean OP isn't.  

Just now, Constantin said:

My phone got Android update yesterday and some play store app and used 4% of the battery.

And it being a 3 year old Samsung phone it would get security updates at best. Meaning its a small update that requires little load on the CPU. 

The pixel 3a on the other hand after just being turned on yeasterday would get a lot of updates, including major ones. 

On 1/26/2020 at 10:39 AM, AYDANN6ix9ine said:

Believe it or not, brand new Lithium batteries have a 'break-in' period. It varies from phone to phone and can last anywhere from just a day or two to an entire week. Some don't even notice it happening. But, basically what happens is you'll get terrible battery life overall, or periods of time where it drains quickly for no apparent reason. This is the cells inside the battery getting broken in but once you start a charging schedule and use it normally, the battery will return to normal and the software will adapt to your habits.

iPhones are not as prone to this but Android for some reason is. I'd give it at least a week and use it normally to see if the situation persists. Also, as everyone else has pretty much said in this thread, check your apps and background usage and make sure there isn't something draining the battery unnecessarily. Big updates and multiple updates will kill it rather quickly so bear that in mind. I have the 3a myself and experienced what you're describing and it lasted about three days. Go through each setting on your phone, every option, and turn off/disable/lower items you don't need. This includes apps, permissions and display settings. Also don't be afraid to restart your phone every now and then, it's a good habit to get into; I do mine at least once a week and my battery can go almost two days with normal (for me) use.