Wii or Wii U

AndreiArgeanu

I was looking at buying an older console to play some titles on the platform and I basically never tried or had a Nintendo Wii or Wii U and I know there are loads of exclusive titles to the console that I'd like to try. Now the Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii so in theory I should go for the Wii U but the classic Wii (not the 2nd revision) has backwards compatibility with the GameCube, another console with titles that I've never played. Also the Wii is like 25£ with a Wii mote Plus but the Wii U is like 3 times with the 8gb version coming at 70£ and the 32gb at 78£. Which one would you consider to be the best choice considering that I haven't tried titles from none of these 3 platforms.

I would take a look at games you would want to play. The Wii indeed has GameCube backwards compatibility, but also the ability to use GameCube controllers in games. Some games rely on certain accessories that use the GameCube port too (like dance mats and that sort of stuff).

A lot of the best Wii U games have been ported over to the Switch too, so they may be worth more to play on there too (the only ones I can think of that have not been ported over that are worth playing are Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 and the Windwaker HD (although playing that on the Wii through GameCube compatibility is possible too)).

The Wii and GameCube have some excellent titles too, like the more well-known options, like Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl, Metroid Prime 1, 2 and 3 (you can either go GameCube for 1 and 2 or get the Trilogy on Wii.. But that has also been released on the Wii U), Mario Kart Double Dash and Wii (MKWii is one of my top ten favorite games of all time, especially with the custom tracks for it), Super Mario Sunshine (only on GameCube, which can be played on the Wii too), Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 and so many more.

They would both be pretty good options. 

If I had never however played any Nintendo Wii or Wii U games, I would probably go for the Wii (with backwards compatiblity) and pick up some awesome Wii and GameCube games. The Wii U I would only pick for pretty specific titles, more so if you don't have a Switch/not planning on getting one.

Let me know if you want some more recommendations in certain genres!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You could try emulation (should be legal as long as you own the games); GC and Wii emulation is a piece of cake nowadays, Wii U emulation isn't also too hard to do. This also gives you the option to enhance the graphics by changing the resolution, enabling anti-aliasing and various other things, if your hardware allows this. You can use original controllers using adaptors, or you could use keyboards or other types of controllers

🙂

3 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:

If you have a half decent emulator they have an emulator for all 3 and it will cost you nothing if you already have the games or decide to go another route. ?

3 minutes ago, duncannah said:

You could try emulation (should be legal as long as you own the games); GC and Wii emulation is a piece of cake nowadays, Wii U emulation isn't also too hard to do. This also gives you the option to enhance the graphics by changing the resolution, enabling anti-aliasing and various other things.

To be honest I have considered and tried emulation before but it really doesn't compare to the original, not only in gameplay but also when trying to control the game especially with the Wii where you tend to have a lot of titles relying on the motion controls which are difficult if possible at all to emulate. Plus that there is a satisfaction to owning the console itself.

Another thing to mention: You can softmod (homebrew) a Wii U to be able to play GameCube games (using a GC controller adaptor of course)

🙂

Some caveats

Wii U, you can play GameCube games through homebrew, keep in mind you can't play off of the discs though.  You'll have to pull the roms onto a hard drive for the Wii U.

The Wii has it built native, assuming you have a pre-revision Wii.

As for collecting for both.

Right now is the time to collect for the Wii U.  Minus two titles (Devil's Third and Axiom Verge) nothing is too expensive on it yet.  Wait for a deal for a used one from GameStop and stock up on games.  Keep in mind though, most of the heavy hitters for the Wii U have ports on Switch that either add extra content, or run better overall.  (Such as BotW running at 900p as opposed to 720p, Tokyo Mirage Sessions has faster load times).  On top of that you have some samey feeling exclusives.  Super Mario 3D World is fun, I loved my time with it.  But it also feels like an HD version of Super Mario 3D Land, for example.

With the Wii, a lot of the big hitters are still pretty cheap.  Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are still both under $20.  I think I picked up both for about $10 each.  You got other Nintendo IPs too.  It saw the return of some IPs since like the Super Nintendo or before.  Punch Out, Donkey Kong, the Excite series.  The Wii U has other IPs also, Metroid has the Prime Trilogy and Other M.  While Other M had a bad representation of Samus, and a weak story, the gameplay itself is top notch.  It has an actual Animal Crossing.  It saw the return of the Xeno series with Xenoblade Chronicles, which is now a Nintendo exclusive IP.  It has the first two No More Heroes.  It has other exclusives too, most aren't too expensive yet.  The biggest priced ones being Xenoblade Chronicles, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Metroid Prime Trilogy.  There's other pricier games, but these three are heavy hitters themselves.  Plus the Wii itself is cheaper to buy than a Wii U.  

Honestly if you want a console that will probably garner a cult following later, and is pretty cheap to collect for now, Wii U.

If you want one with arguably more games, and still decently cheap to collect for, the Wii.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.