Get Dolby Vision instead of HDR10 on Windows 10?

FinnishArmy
9 minutes ago, Loading...... said:

This Guy seems to have it working

(1) Watch Netflix in 4K on Any Computer with AMD Graphics - YouTube

https://youtu.be/UucZsQjC6dY

I'm using Nvdia so I haven't tried it yet.

Dolby Vision works only on the built-in certified display like on a Mac. The software does Dolby Vision tone mapping and the display is not involved. I'm surprised this works in Boot Camp. I would like to know if this works on an external HDMI Dolby Vision display on a certified Mac.

I tried it on my PC with an RTX 3090 and LG CX but Netflix doesn't show the Dolby Vision logo like in the video.

• 1 month later...

For file playing consider Dune Real Vision or Zidoo Z9x...NVidia Shield is better for streaming...But when wanting to play HDR10(+) or Dolby Vision on Windows10 with MPC-HC or MPC-BE I get lost in the jungle...

...and the easy way out....convert source files into LLDV (Low Level Dolby Vision) for a screen that's capable of Standard DV and LLDV...If anyone here knows how to play HDR/Dolby Vision movies on a computer with PCIe3 (with something like RTX 2060) using MPC (with madVR) I would be glad to know...but Dune Real Vision or/and Zidoo Z9x seem to be the cheapest way out of this jungle of possibilities....

Like @Chen G said, when your display looks noticeably better in DV than in HDR or has different brightness levels than you have a different problem. HDR10 and DV result in next to no difference in real-world viewing. And especially no difference in brightness. I'd firstly check if you messed up some picture settings in your HDR10 mode.

I wouldn't get my hopes up with DV support on Windows. But in the end it doesn't really matter. If your display is really capable of HDR playback, then even HDR10 will look worlds better than SDR. (If you have HDR content...)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2021 at 7:18 AM, sonicfelipemt said:

I hate this tech age.

HDR has been around since EVER and you can`t even play a damn HDR on SDR screen or the opposite without wasting hours and days learning the crazy tech stuff trying to understand why VLC can`t properly convert HDR stuff to show correctly on a SDR screen, downloading 20 different players and codes, fiddle fiddle fiddle and NOTHING WORKS... JEZZ, NOTHING WORKS 100%. Computers are machines that always should work and humans keep f*kin sh*t upp all day long... 
We even have to pay DOLBY ACCESS or DTS to play 5.1 or 7.1 audio on our PCs... AND IT SOUNDS TERRIBLE. 

And now I just saw that there is a DOLBY VISION app on the Wincrap Store... 
FVCK THAT, it`s like paying for a video player/codec and that probably won't even work properly! 
2021 MY DUDES! Yet it feels like I`m in the 1990`s fiddling with 20 different black tech boxes to process audio, video, strange formats, etc, while not having manuals nor internet access! 
If I buy a discount Asus 1080p SDR 16500000hz monitor (full of tech lies and tech garbagery)... 
Or if I buy a 500.000 USD Samsung 700" HDR100000000 1000% GAMULT COLOR 0LED TOTAL REAL DARK FULL SUN BRIGHT 1 MILLION TRILLION PIXELS EYE BURNING FOSFATE TITANIUM BURNER TRIPLE ARRAY BACKLIGHT FRONT LIGHT SMELL FIRE BALLS LICKER DETECTOR, no matter what, ALL the customer should do is press a button in a media player to tell it if you want it to render HDR or SDR, and simillar stuff for color acurracy, brightness, etc. THE FILES ARE SAVED IN THE DISCS OR YOUR PC, 100% SHOULD BE A DAMN AUTOMATED PROCESS!!!!!
YET HERE WE ARE, 2021 AND NOTHING WORKS, NOTHING IS EASY TO SET UP AND I'M GONNA EAT DIRT BRICKS WITH ROCKS FOR LUNCH UNTIL MY DNA GOES BACK TO NEANDERTHAL AND I ATTACK THE NEIGHBOHOURHOOD SCREAMING "U U U A A AAAAAAAA". 

Bit of a rant but I agree mostly. PCs, Phones, SmartTVs, TV boxes are just bunch of microprocessor systems where one should be able to run any software(as all can run linux).

All these idiotic and frustrating steps boils down to DRM protections and IP licensings. With such a monopolistic, closed source markets I would rather just look for quality hardware(like 10bit hdr support, full range speakers) and stay in the high seas. A dumb bug in my denon avr with hdcp blocks me from consuming DRM uhd and multichannel content. A change in Windows 10 update removed my PC's ability to encode ddl/dts. My soundcard encodes DDL/DTS-X but my avr decodes DD/DTS-DS. So many parameters have to be in sync else the absolute basic audio/video is put up.

A PC or a phone could do all of these but whether it is allowed to is all determined by inflated prices, planned obsolence and patent trolls. Instead one has to invest in gazillion intermediate microprocessor systems like android tv box to get things running.

I've discovered there are cheap media players from Zidoo and Dune HD with the hardware Dolby Vision VS10 engine that can play back virtually all Dolby Vision formats over HDMI. They can stream sources files from your PC via network shares. They're better than a Shield which still has issues with decoding some Dolby Vision content.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you can play Dolby vision on Windows PC.
I have some downloaded video files with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision (HEVC codec)
that I can play now, but before it has a color rendering problem only magenta and green
This is easy to achieve.
First you must have a 4K HDR capable display. Turn on HDR on the setup in your display settings.
Then update your Windows to latest 21H1 build.
Play your video using built in Windows Apps (Movies and TVs)
It will ask you to download The HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store. you need to pay for it
Download also Dolby Access and Dolby Vision extension apps from Microsoft Store.

That's all You can now play any downloaded video with Dolby Vision on it.
This also applies when playing Netflix movie on the Windows Netflix apps.

error in color rendering
No description available.

Color problem fixed

2 hours ago, Extensis said:

Yes you can play Dolby vision on Windows PC.
I have some downloaded video files with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision (HEVC codec)
that I can play now, but before it has a color rendering problem only magenta and green
This is easy to achieve.
First you must have a 4K HDR capable display. Turn on HDR on the setup in your display settings.
Then update your Windows to latest 21H1 build.
Play your video using built in Windows Apps (Movies and TVs)
It will ask you to download The HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store. you need to pay for it
Download also Dolby Access and Dolby Vision extension apps from Microsoft Store.

That's all You can now play any downloaded video with Dolby Vision on it.
This also applies when playing Netflix movie on the Windows Netflix apps.

error in color rendering

Color problem fixed

It's likely just converting the single-layer Dolby Vision profile (which doesn't have a backwards compatible HDR10 layer baked in) to HDR10 and not running the display in Dolby Vision mode.

• 11 months later...
On 6/28/2021 at 3:43 AM, Stahlmann said:

Like @Chen G said, when your display looks noticeably better in DV than in HDR or has different brightness levels than you have a different problem. HDR10 and DV result in next to no difference in real-world viewing. And especially no difference in brightness. I'd firstly check if you messed up some picture settings in your HDR10 mode.

I wouldn't get my hopes up with DV support on Windows. But in the end it doesn't really matter. If your display is really capable of HDR playback, then even HDR10 will look worlds better than SDR. (If you have HDR content...)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bEHAjxtV4TgH2nccriQ7ngQD20g-PL1U/view?usp=drivesdk

Check this out 

dobly vision playback on pc with the Dolby vision logo as well.

42 minutes ago, Monstieur said:

Is the Dolby Vision logo produced by the Films & TV player?

Windows Pc player ap 

• 4 weeks later...

Dolby Vision Video Playback

If I take a Dolby Vision file and put it through the Windows Movies & TV app, it correctly shows the content but in HDR10 mode; not in Dolby Vision. I don't see the green and purple that shows up using MadVR.

My LG OLED tells me the HDR mode it's in, and the HDR mode doesn't change to Dolby Vision when playing those files.

Dolby Vision Licensed Devices

My Surface Pro 8 supposedly supports Dolby Vision, but it's called Dolby Vision IQ in the Dolby Access app. Not sure what that corresponds, but it does activate HDR if I play a video file in a UWP app like Dolby Access. I haven't tested it with my LG OLED yet though.

Dolby Vision Games

The only game or app that I've ever seen put Windows into Dolby Vision mode is Need for Speed Heat. I think it's actually a bug though.

If you connect a Dolby Vision display, like an LG OLED, it will set the display into Dolby Vision mode when you enable HDR in the game. Either you'll get a black screen when this happens, or you'll see green and purple if it stays in HDR10 mode. The last time I tried this was in Win10. Win11 might fare better; not sure.

For ensure Dolby Vision is work or not. It is better test the video which only have DV layer only and without HDR10 backward compatible layer.

This weekend I may will test again. 😅

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

5 hours ago, Sawtaytoes said:

Dolby Vision Video Playback

If I take a Dolby Vision file and put it through the Windows Movies & TV app, it correctly shows the content but in HDR10 mode; not in Dolby Vision. I don't see the green and purple that shows up using MadVR.

My LG OLED tells me the HDR mode it's in, and the HDR mode doesn't change to Dolby Vision when playing those files.

Dolby Vision Licensed Devices

My Surface Pro 8 supposedly supports Dolby Vision, but it's called Dolby Vision IQ in the Dolby Access app. Not sure what that corresponds, but it does activate HDR if I play a video file in a UWP app like Dolby Access. I haven't tested it with my LG OLED yet though.

Dolby Vision Games

The only game or app that I've ever seen put Windows into Dolby Vision mode is Need for Speed Heat. I think it's actually a bug though.

If you connect a Dolby Vision display, like an LG OLED, it will set the display into Dolby Vision mode when you enable HDR in the game. Either you'll get a black screen when this happens, or you'll see green and purple if it stays in HDR10 mode. The last time I tried this was in Win10. Win11 might fare better; not sure.

May I know what title of games support Dolby Vision, I like to try out.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

Done test, it is obvious not working even after install all the required extensions. this showing that Dolby Vision extensions probably only work for registered device only.

Display: LG C9

GPU: RTX 3080

Connection: HDMI 2.1

Test DV Film

• Netflix not detected Dolby Vision
  • Local film that is only DV layer showing purple and green (Playback using Microsoft Movies & TV, PotPlayer with madVR and also Plex)
  • My LG C9 TV never detect any source input as DV but only HDR10

After installed Dolby Vision Extension, it cannot be uninstall directly as they is no uninstall button or apps list.

Solution for uninstall Dolby Vision Extension

• Open PowerShell as Administrator.
  • Copy following and hit enter to removed the apps.
    • Get-AppxPackage -allusers *DolbyLaboratories.DolbyVisionAccess* | Remove-AppxPackage

52294141729_8c8a47f505_o.png

Screenshot 2022-08-18 190439.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'll test this out on my TV and take some HDR screenshots of it running a Dolby Vision test video as HDR10 using Windows Movies & TV app.

It could be because I installed the HEIF and HEVC codecs on that machine.

The game was Need for Speed: Heat. For some reason, if it's an LG TV with Dolby Vision support, it will put the TV into Dolby Vision mode, and you'll get a black screen. I tested this on my sister's PC with the same GPU as me on an LG C2 over HDMI 2.1 at 4K 120Hz.

Another note: I'm on HDMI 2.1 with an nVIDIA RTX 3090. Not sure if that changes anything.

List of Dolby Vision demo videos I have. As you can see, the thumbnails are purple and green: 

image.thumb.png.37a21ec0fe8b4423a15ac4b197b4d451.png

Filenames:

• dolby-vision-art-(www.demolandia.net).mp4
  • dolby-vision-art-of-essence-(www.demolandia.net).mp4
  • dolby-vision-blocks-(www.demolandia.net).mp4
  • dolby-vision-food-(www.demolandia.net).mp4
  • dolby-vision-landscape-(www.demolandia.net).mp4
  • dolby-vision-lg-(www.demolandia.net).ts
  • dolby-vision-lg-earth-(www.demolandia.net).ts
  • dolby-vision-nasa-(dolby-vision)-(www.demolandia.net).mp4
  • dolby-vision-onoff-(www.demolandia.net).ts
  • dolby-vision-palette-(www.demolandia.net).mp4
  • dolby-vision-people-(www.demolandia.net).mp4
  • dolby-vision-sails-(www.demolandia.net).mp4

Media Player Classic with madVR:

image.thumb.png.c55ee8613c7daf185a500df85377cb2d.png

Windows Movies & TV:

image.thumb.png.de7a6cd2daa787291b1f350e9d07e0bc.png

HDR + WCG Image Viewer data:

image.png.775fbf3ad009231526c14926ed16279a.png

I also uploaded the JXR so you can check it yourself.

When in HDR is turned off in Windows, Dolby Vision gets properly tone mapped down to SDR as well:

image.thumb.png.5c7cfbab6a1f2c98883da55f7a22cd73.png

image.png.84b3174e38f2aac3031856fcd1a9edaf.png

My device doesn't come with any Windows Store apps by default:

image.thumb.png.b79954fad4e30125b519f2c99b661b3a.png

Installed Windows store apps that look important:

image.png.8716a50fba6e49fd8195c573d415ea9b.png

I already install all the required extension but it is not working for me and if only for mp4 and .ts then it is less useful for me as most my content is .mkv

I just want to test only, I normally watch movie using Nvidia Shield TV Pro connect to my LG C9 and it work perfectly. 

So I not going to spend extra time to check why it is not working anymore.

I did more work to figure out why Dolby Vision videos worked for me and not you.

Found out that any videos in the MPEG-4 format work fine via Dolby Vision in Windows (in HDR10 mode).

But... If I play an MPEG-TS file, that's when Dolby Vision content is still green and purple for me. I have one such video called "On Off" (https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.html?id=43567783). That's the only one I have that doesn't work though.

20 minutes ago, Sawtaytoes said:

I did more work to figure out why Dolby Vision videos worked for me and not you.

Found out that any videos in the MPEG-4 format work fine via Dolby Vision in Windows (in HDR10 mode).

But... If I play an MPEG-TS file, that's when Dolby Vision content is still green and purple for me. I have one such video called "On Off" (https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.html?id=43567783). That's the only one I have that doesn't work though.

I search more and only MP4 is working, not TS or MKV. The support is very bad. That why the rating is so bad and it is hidden. 😅

• 3 months later...

Mkay, not a pirate here. Just a disgruntled streamer.

I want Disney+ and Netflix MS Store and/or Edge apps display DV content the way my LG OLED native apps do.

DOABLE? Yeah/Nay? Possible at all?

Before you send me back to LG apps, my PC is the core of all activities, connected to the LG functioning as a monitor, switching back and forth is a bit cumbersome, swapping inputs, pairing BT headphones back to TV etc. - not impossible to do, just a bit of a hindrance. I hoped there would be a way to stay on PC.

I keep reading about the issue, but no real solution has presented itself so far. Still, I'd rather accept a hard "NO", instead of clinging to false hopes that pop up here and there.

10 hours ago, Syao said:

Mkay, not a pirate here. Just a disgruntled streamer.

I want Disney+ and Netflix MS Store and/or Edge apps display DV content the way my LG OLED native apps do.

DOABLE? Yeah/Nay? Possible at all?

Before you send me back to LG apps, my PC is the core of all activities, connected to the LG functioning as a monitor, switching back and forth is a bit cumbersome, swapping inputs, pairing BT headphones back to TV etc. - not impossible to do, just a bit of a hindrance. I hoped there would be a way to stay on PC.

I keep reading about the issue, but no real solution has presented itself so far. Still, I'd rather accept a hard "NO", instead of clinging to false hopes that pop up here and there.

I'm not sure about movies other than the Dolby Vision demo videos I tried. It worked there, but it's running in HDR10 mode. Not sure what's different about it. From what I can tell, Windows the content is properly tone mapped, so I'm pretty sure it's working as-expected even in that mode. From what I understand, Dolby Vision is just tone mapping anyway. If your media player can handle the tone mapper in Windows over HDR10, you're good.

There's one Dolby Vision game I've come across that does swap a TV into Dolby Vision mode: Need for Speed Heat. It doesn't work correctly on someone else's Win10 system that I tried earlier this year. If I tried it myself in Win11 with a system known to work with Dolby Vision, it might just work. I know it's loading the Dolby Vision HDR version because it turns green and purple like those demo videos look in the wrong player.

My Surface Pro 8 has Dolby Vision, but I found out it's something called Dolby Vision IQ which is some form of SDR tonemapping for HDR content at 400-450 nits of peak brightness. It looks somewhat like HDR, but not quite. Not sure what that feature does, but it only seems to work in Windows Store apps like Windows Media Player and in the Dolby Access app itself. I tested this out using local copies of my own channel's HDR10 YouTube videos, and they definitely look like HDR, just at a darker 400 nits instead of 600+.

15 hours ago, Sawtaytoes said:

I'm not sure about movies other than the Dolby Vision demo videos I tried. It worked there, but it's running in HDR10 mode. Not sure what's different about it. From what I can tell, Windows the content is properly tone mapped, so I'm pretty sure it's working as-expected even in that mode. From what I understand, Dolby Vision is just tone mapping anyway. If your media player can handle the tone mapper in Windows over HDR10, you're good.

HI,

Thanks for taking time to answer. I understand the logic behind DV chain. I get that if, say, a motherboard is not DV licensed, this is a no go. But still I would have expected Microsoft to come up with some sort of a solution. Edge player, MS store player, Dolby Atmos-like license to purchase. Anything. But no, all this nonsense, DV app that does nothing. If Dolby Atmos is a store purchase to make it work, why not make the same for Dolby Vision?

disney+, and netflix app on windows do dolby vision. if the movie or show supports it my lg pops up dolby vision.
watching on browsers will not work

amazon and hulu as far as ive seen dont output dv

games are hit and miss

video files dv encoded will not work. i havent yet found a player that can do them correctly.

even with all the extensions