Get Dolby Vision instead of HDR10 on Windows 10?

FinnishArmy

Nice find!

I don't believe that HGIG mode (BT.2020, PQ hard-clipped without tone mapping) allows the TV to achieve the same image as player-LED Dolby Vision mode. It's possible the TV goes into a non-standard mode with different gamut or some other parameters. For the player-LED processing to work correctly at the source, it would need to read and make use of such parameters if they exist. I don't believe that any desktop software will do this correctly if such processing is required, even if they display a fancy Dolby Vision logo. A certified device like Xbox might.

Yeah, I'm not expecting the resulting image to be exactly the same as a "real" Dolby Vision setup would produce, but I don't think it can be that far off either.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! nice find!

Is it possible to upload a guide to GitHub or somewhere similar? This is the first time I've ever seen someone so close to a solution.

//edit

0. Download dolby vision extensions and HEVC Video Extensions

1. Download CRU

2. Open CRU

3. Select the display from the dropdown menu

4. Export (dolbyvisionmonitor.bin)

5. Download AW EDID Editor

6. Open AW EDID Editor

6. Open the exported bin file (dolbyvisionmonitor.bin)

7. Click on the Vendor-Specific Video

8. Edit the hex string (i own a lg c1 so my hex string was 480376825e6d95 and i changed it to 480377825e6d95)

9. Save As (fixeddolbyvisionmonitor.bin)

10. Open CRU

11. Import the edited bin file (fixeddolbyvisionmonitor.bin)

12. Run Restart64.exe/Restart.exe inside of the cru folder

Uploaded mine fixeddolbyvisionmonitor.bin so you only need to do 10-12 steps (LG C1)

Made a github repo, so anyone can contribute balu100/dolby-vision-for-windows (github.com)

Icon appears in Movie & Tv App

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

3 hours ago, balu100 said:

Untitled.png

Did you manually enter the peak brightness value? I noticed your peak brightness shows 1000 nits. Isn't that a problem when the PC does the tonemapping for 1000 nits even though your TV isn't capable of that? Normally this would result in clipping unless you also use dynamic tone mapping on the TV side.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 2/9/2024 at 12:58 PM, Stahlmann said:

Did you manually enter the peak brightness value? I noticed your peak brightness shows 1000 nits. Isn't that a problem when the PC does the tonemapping for 1000 nits even though your TV isn't capable of that? Normally this would result in clipping unless you also use dynamic tone mapping on the TV side.

A while back, I was reading that Windows doesn't detect the LGC1 peak brightness properly, so it needs to be set manually. The usually suggested max luminance and max frame-avg to use were 128, if I remember correctly.

No clipping issues on my end. I also found somebody else who had clipping before, but after setting it to 128, it was fixed.

//edit

Actually, i'm using HGiG tone mapping (and manual HGiG color profile), but even when I turn it off, I can't see any clipping.

• 4 weeks later...

found a update but not sure. i dont have any DV videos to verify, BUT this is what i was told by a few people.
Microsoft's Movies and TV app using the Dolby Vision Extensions and HEVC Video Extensions works in playing DV movies

The first actual Dolby Vision monitor has released and from what it seems achieving true DV output isn't really desirable right now anyway, due to how Windows handles it. Windows cannot distinguish between DV and HDR10 content, so the display is receiving a DV signal all the time, which leads to wrong tonemapping for HDR10 content.

Here are a few more details if you're interested:

So I'd say give it a few more months (or years in Microsoft time). The difference between actual DV and HDR10 isn't that big either way. Once more DV monitors pop up they will probably have another look at it and maybe even fix it. Until then stick to what works.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.