New Radeon Driver

rx590overclocker

What is everyones take on the new Radeon Driver?  I can actually open my games from it!

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte x470 Ultra Gaming

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

2x8 Corsair LPX Vengeance 2933

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

23 minutes ago, rx590overclocker said:

What is everyones take on the new Radeon Driver?  I can actually open my games from it!

Is there a new new one or are you referring to the 2019 update that came out around November '19?

there is a new one. this month

I'm talking about the update that turned it into a half driver half game hub

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

1 hour ago, rx590overclocker said:

there is a new one. this month

I'm talking about the update that turned it into a half driver half game hub

Interesting. I'll have to try it out when I get home. I last updated in December around Christmas after I installed a RX 5700. I think I have the v19.12.2 drivers but it looks like the new version was just released on Jan 9th...

I know the update that was released in November had a TON of problems causing games to crash while vsync, antilag and boost were turned on under Radeon...have they fixed these issues?

5 hours ago, steelo said:

Interesting. I'll have to try it out when I get home. I last updated in December around Christmas after I installed a RX 5700. I think I have the v19.12.2 drivers but it looks like the new version was just released on Jan 9th...

I know the update that was released in November had a TON of problems causing games to crash while vsync, antilag and boost were turned on under Radeon...have they fixed these issues?

I've been doing some research on the new 20.1.1 drivers as of 1/9/20 and they seem top be okayish. I experienced a TON of issues with 19.12.2 (i think, may have been 19.12.1) and immediately rolled back to 19.11.1. Works great with my rx 5700 reference card. I'm debating on reinstalling the new driver update but if all else fails, I'm just going to go back to 19.11.1. If you get a chance to update before me, be sure to let me know! I'm curious to see if anything's changed performance wise.

it has something called Radeon boost

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-boost

does boost performance by A LOT.  boosts fps by avg of 23%

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

13 hours ago, crippchip said:

I've been doing some research on the new 20.1.1 drivers as of 1/9/20 and they seem top be okayish. I experienced a TON of issues with 19.12.2 (i think, may have been 19.12.1) and immediately rolled back to 19.11.1. Works great with my rx 5700 reference card. I'm debating on reinstalling the new driver update but if all else fails, I'm just going to go back to 19.11.1. If you get a chance to update before me, be sure to let me know! I'm curious to see if anything's changed performance wise.

I installed the 20.1.1 drivers last night and after I installed everything, I tried to open a game through the AMD suite. Nothing. So, I rebooted and double clicked on the AMD Radeon icon under the taskbar...Nothing. So, I thought to myself...oh great, this update is worse than before and nothing is going to run. 

Well, I guess Windows was installing updates in the background as my PC hasn't been turned on in 3 days because when I came back, I was finally able to open Witcher 3 through the AMD software. However, I noticed some VERY annoying micro stuttering I didn't have before. I did verify all special features on the AMD side were turned off. I'm going to try it again tonight as I'm hoping maybe my computer was still running updates in the background. Next, I tried playing ST bridge crew and it ran just as smooth as before. Finally, since I upgraded to the RX 5700 I've had a problem with a 'double vision' display with 'Onward' in VR. It's very strange, one display will be very close up and the second display will be normal distance...this, as you can imagine makes the game absolutely unplayable. Unfortunately, the AMD update didn't fix this issue.

As far as the UI, I really didn't notice too much of a difference between this new version and the last. However, I really didn't spend much time digging through the menus. I have quite a few NVidia games and have noticed as far as the last driver update that Radeon Adrenaline doesn't play nice with this software. For instance, if I attempt to turn on vsync or cap the frame rate on Radeon rather than from within the game, I'll get to the title screen and then the game will completely lock up...

It's annoying that AMD software in general always seems to be flaky...don't even get me started on wattman. However, as long as I can adjust vsync and cap the frame rate at 60 fps from within the game, I'm fine with that.

I would just go through the settings and try enabling and disabling different things until u get to where you like it.  some features to look at:

- anti lag

- Radeon boost

- chill

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

15 minutes ago, rx590overclocker said:

I would just go through the settings and try enabling and disabling different things until u get to where you like it.  some features to look at:

- anti lag

- Radeon boost

- chill

Unfortunately for me with these NVidia games, changing any of these settings in Adrenaline will result in them freezing at the title screen...=(

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Unfortunately for me with these NVidia games, changing any of these settings in Adrenaline will result in it freezing at the title screen...=(

oof

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

1 hour ago, Xkillerpn said:

Vega 64 here with LC bios.

2020 driver no problem. 

DX12,DX11, Vulkan and DX9. Tested games with all of them, no issues at all.

That's generally what I'm seeing on forums and youtube...AMD fixed a lot of the issues.

R9 280X & 5700XT both work great on these drivers.

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

That's generally what I'm seeing on forums and youtube...AMD fixed a lot of the issues.

they did

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

14 hours ago, rx590overclocker said:

it has something called Radeon boost

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-boost

does boost performance by A LOT.  boosts fps by avg of 23%

It's a pretty terrible feature tbh. Only ups fps while moving, and does so by massively dropping the quality of your game (it renders frames at a lower resolution depending on mouse movement). It'll boost fps average by a lot but that's average. In actual use it'll he jumping up and then back down all the time, which results in screen tearing and overall a worse experience. At the very best it's sooooomewhat justifiable at 4K, but in pretty much every case you're better off just tuning your settings to get a playable fps all the time. 

As for the driver itself, it's hit or miss. The WQHL ones still crash for me (Radeon VII) if I run F@H, or sometimes at random. And full crash, blackscreen to audio glitch if I'm using my speakers, and then the PC does a full hard restart. Haven't tried 20.1.1, don't trust Optional drivers given that the Adrenaline 2020 WQHL ones are having issues. 

Adrenaline 2019 WQHL drivers are fine and were rock solid for my bench runs, and even better, Wattman actually worked properly for once. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

It's a pretty terrible feature tbh. Only ups fps while moving, and does so by massively dropping the quality of your game (it renders frames at a lower resolution depending on mouse movement). It'll boost fps average by a lot but that's average. In actual use it'll he jumping up and then back down all the time, which results in screen tearing and overall a worse experience. At the very best it's sooooomewhat justifiable at 4K, but in pretty much every case you're better off just tuning your settings to get a playable fps all the time. 

As for the driver itself, it's hit or miss. The WQHL ones still crash for me (Radeon VII) if I run F@H, or sometimes at random. And full crash, blackscreen to audio glitch if I'm using my speakers, and then the PC does a full hard restart. Haven't tried 20.1.1, don't trust Optional drivers given that the Adrenaline 2020 WQHL ones are having issues. 

Adrenaline 2019 WQHL drivers are fine and were rock solid for my bench runs, and even better, Wattman actually worked properly for once. 

My PC felt pretty sluggish last night after installing the 2020 drivers (I just installed a Ryzen 5 1600 AF to replace a 2400g)...Witcher 3 would stutter every few seconds for some reason. It very well could be I haven't turned it on in 3 days and Windows needs updating