Scratches motherboard new CPU heatsink screws

Made a scratch on the motherboard near the cpu heatsink holes. When i tried to turn the PC on, the led light in the fan flickered for a moment and the pc didn't boot up. Motherboard debug leds dont turn on eithee.

15790201065306349266788659526324.jpg

EDIT: TO CLARIFY, MY PC DOES NOT TURN ON AND ONLY THE LED IN TBE FRONT PANEL FAN TURNS ON FOR A SPLIT SECOND. THIS COULD BE DUE TO ME NOT CONNECTING THINGS PROPERLY, BUT PLEASE TAKE THIS INTO CONSIDERATION.

I would check your PSU connections. I personally have abused motherboards far worse and been able to boot without an issue. 

Looks like you scratch the traces on the PCB.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Looks like you nicked some important signal/delay sensitive traces that go to your RAM slots. If you can verify the traces aren't touching each other and if you remove the sticks of RAM associated with those traces the system should turn on.

Looks like these two traces under longer scratch on the left have shorted, you can try separate them by scratching off a bit with a needle or box cutter right in the middle (very carefully and just at the surface), shouldn't do any more harm that have already done.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

18 minutes ago, Juular said:

Looks like these two traces under longer scratch on the left have shorted, you can try separate them by scratching off a bit with a needle or box cutter right in the middle (very carefully and just at the surface), shouldn't do any more harm that have already done.

I see, thank you. Do you have a video on how to do this perhaps?

2 minutes ago, PcMasterRaceNewborn said:

I see, thank you. Do you have a video on how to do this perhaps?

No :) I'm not even sure how would i do that myself, can you make some more pictures to confirm that these scratches are actually shorted adjacent traces (as in the metal got smeared over and shorted them) and it's not just reflection or smth.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Use a needle or something to scrape a bit between the two traces circled in yellow. Make sure there's nothing conductive between.

Everything circled in green and yellow ... make sure the cuts aren't deep enough to cut the traces. IF you have a multimeter with continuity mode, carefully scrape away a bit of the laquer/transparent paint (whatever you want to call it) over the trace on each side of the cut and use the meter in continuity mode to see if there's connection.

If there isn't, it can be fixed with a good soldering iron and some flux ... scrape on both sides of the trace with a sharp blade/knife to get to copper then a bit of flux and then drag solder over the cut to create a "bridge"

Put some electrical tape / kapton tape over the areas that are cut to insulate them from outside world, don't wanna touch them with standoffs or the heatsink.

image.png.e9dbaa058ad33f4102321787490c5c4a.png

You'll be fine. You've just scratched the lacquer off the top. You won't have shorted any traces. At worst you could have broken some but that will take a really deep scratch.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

6 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

You'll be fine. You've just scratched the lacquer off the top. You won't have shorted any traces. At worst you could have broken some but that will take a really deep scratch.

Edited my post in case there are any misunderstandings

2 minutes ago, PcMasterRaceNewborn said:

Edited my post in case there are any misunderstandings

Disconnect everything and take the system out the case. Lay it on top of the motherboard box. Put the cpu in and its cooler and just the ram. Connect the 24pin power and the 4/8pin cpu power cable. Then short the pins for power if you dont have a mobo with a button. If it does not at minimum allow you to access the bios then something is up.

To fix it you'll need s fine tipped soldering iron and some flux. Cover the damaged area in flux, then slowly rub over the damaged parts with the iron while applying solder. You have to be super careful at this point not to bridge anything.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

12 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

Disconnect everything and take the system out the case. Lay it on top of the motherboard box. Put the cpu in and its cooler and just the ram. Connect the 24pin power and the 4/8pin cpu power cable. Then short the pins for power if you dont have a mobo with a button. If it does not at minimum allow you to access the bios then something is up.

To fix it you'll need s fine tipped soldering iron and some flux. Cover the damaged area in flux, then slowly rub over the damaged parts with the iron while applying solder. You have to be super careful at this point not to bridge anything.

Alright so i did as you said and it runs, so the mobo isnt broken I think.. now i need to figure out ehay the issue was then

3 minutes ago, PcMasterRaceNewborn said:

Alright so i did as you said and it runs, so the mobo isnt broken I think.. now i need to figure out ehay the issue was then

This is why its always best to build the pc outside of the case First. It means you know it works before you shove it all in the case.

Id double check the motherboard standoffs are all in the right place and there's not one thats in the wrong place touching the back of the motherboard.