Does Frequency Response Matters for Headphones?

_ASSASSIN_

Well yes and no.

I will let one of the resident LTT forum audiophile members explain it, as I'm not the best on the subject. I just know enough to get by.

I am sure Linus says something in one of his videos about this, I am just not sure which one.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

yes it does but human can only 20 Hz to 20.000 Hz anything below or more than that is beyond human hearing. that is why looking up headphone spec is almost useless.

I just found out recently something about infrasonic resonance or something along the line, in short sound below 20hz will vibrate your internal organ in certain dB. If you want more detail use planar magnetic headphone from the like of Audeze or electrostatic headphone.

Not if you listen to classical because of course it has no bass. :rolleyes:

yes it does but human can only 20 Hz to 20.000 Hz anything below or more than that is beyond human hearing. that is why looking up headphone spec is almost useless.

I just found out recently something about infrasonic resonance or something along the line, in short sound below 20hz will vibrate your internal organ in certain dB. If you want more detail use planar magnetic headphone from the like of Audeze or electrostatic headphone.

btw have you actually used electrostatic? 

Also since when are dynamic headphones not as good as planars? they have their own pros and cons but when it comes to detail I'm not to sure about that..

20Hz - 20,000Hz

8Hz - 24,000Hz

Heaphones with these specs are comparable?

20Hz - 20,000Hz

8Hz - 24,000Hz

Yes and no. While you can technically not hear above and below 20/20k, you can tell when above/below aren't there. (I.e. roll off)  

Yes and no. While you can technically not hear above and below 20/20k, you can tell when above/below aren't there. (I.e. roll off)  

what about things like infrasound?

20Hz - 20,000Hz

8Hz - 24,000Hz

Headphones with the first spec were likely not even measured.

20Hz - 20,000Hz

8Hz - 24,000Hz

Specs like these for headphones are as pointless as specs that say a car can drive at every speed between 20mph and 200mph.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Frequency response is, from my understanding, generally talked about in terms of the relative loudness at each frequency. As in, are the headphones 5dB quiter at 2000Hz vs 5000Hz and is generally shown in a graph that looks similar to this.

sm58-freq.gif

Perfect monitoring headphones would have a flat line, playing no frequency louder than any other. Whereas headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT990 have a more 'V shaped' response curve that many people seem to enjoy as it boosts the bass and treble relative to the mids.

I'm sure some of this is wrong/could be worded better, if so then please correct me. 

I think OP might be referring to the range of the frequency response, and not the actual loudness of each level of hertz, but it's a good point too, 

Just trying to cover everything :)

Just trying to cover everything :)

except I know that I'm talking about the range of frequencies yo, @Whiskers thought it was important or something..

except I know that I'm talking about the range of frequencies yo, @Whiskers thought it was important or something..

You were arguing that it wasn't an important factor, and I was arguing that it was. :P

If I recall correctly you were trying to say there are only two things that matter when it comes to headphones, though I can't remember which those were.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

In this case it only really matters if the range is short than that of human perception, with the possible example of a few Khz above and a few Hz below.  I do know one or 2 people who can hear above 22Khz (tested the theory with an ultrasonic transducer) But that is incredibly rare. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

In this case it only really matters if the range is short than that of human perception, with the possible example of a few Khz above and a few Hz below.  I do know one or 2 people who can hear above 22Khz (tested the theory with an ultrasonic transducer) But that is incredibly rare. 

Wasn't the owner of Cowon one of the highest scoring people for that test?

Wasn't the owner of Cowon one of the highest scoring people for that test?

wouldn't know, all I know is I called BS and she proved me wrong, so I guess every now and then you will encounter the rare exceptions.

You were arguing that it wasn't an important factor, and I was arguing that it was. :P

If I recall correctly you were trying to say there are only two things that matter when it comes to headphones, though I can't remember which those were.

signal to noise ration and the frequency response graph like this

sm58-freq.gif

What volume did you test at? Maybe they felt it instead?

What volume did you test at? Maybe they felt it instead?

na,  I was holding the transducer there was no way she could feel it nor know when it was on other than if she heard it.