Upgrading W10 Home to Enterprise?

dubdubhk
Go to solution Solved by Viper9,

If the laptop comes with Windows 10 Home built in you'll need to edit your Windows installation media.

In the source folder create a PID.txt file and enter the following:

[PID]

Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Value = Your licence.

Then the installer gonna bypass the built in W10 home key and install W10 Enterprise. 

So I'm in charge of getting some new machines for my company, but the soonest Dell can ship to us what we want is longer than ideal.

On Amazon there is a re-seller that can get us what we need but all the machines will have Windows 10 Home edition. I know I cannot directly upgrade Home to Enterprise. But I'm wondering if I enter an Enterprise key on a Home edition, would it allow me to upgrade to Pro, and then Enterprise from there?

If I cannot do that, then could I could wipe the OS, install from a Windows 10 Pro ISO and then upgrade? Or is it still going to give me grief for not having a Pro key.

Thanks in advance for your help, I keep on reading conflicting info online and figure this is the place to get a proper answer.

If the laptop comes with Windows 10 Home built in you'll need to edit your Windows installation media.

In the source folder create a PID.txt file and enter the following:

[PID]

Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Value = Your licence.

Then the installer gonna bypass the built in W10 home key and install W10 Enterprise. 

no, direct upgrade path

see, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/windows-10-upgrade-paths

you would need to go from home -> pro-> enterprise

✔ = Full upgrade is supported including personal data, settings, and applications.
D = Edition downgrade; personal data is maintained, applications and settings are removed.

Windows 10 Home Windows 10 Pro Windows 10 Pro Education Windows 10 Education Windows 10 Enterprise Windows 10 Mobile Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise
Windows 7
Starter      
Home Basic      
Home Premium      
Professional D    
Ultimate D    
Enterprise          
Windows 8.1
(Core)      
Connected      
Pro D    
Pro Student D