computer nerd question, wireless cards

Kaspersome

So im a little broke rn, too broke to afford a wireless card. So i thought to myself, hmm i had a laptop that worked, its battery just broke. Maybe i can just take its wireless card out and plug it into my pc. So basically i got the card, and since its an older laptop i was wondering if this card would even work in my pc. Here is a picture of the card. Note this may not even be a wireless thingy, i just assumed it was. Im not experienced with computers like you guys are.

please help meh.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm not sure that would work without any sort of antennae.  Hopefully someone will chime in, but I'm not hopeful for your chances of success.  

PS

If that's your desk then it appears we use the same folding table as a desk.  High five.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Oh, and I believe most mobos put their wifi cards under the IO shield.  If someone gives you promising news you could remove the IO shield to see if there is a slot for that card.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, nick name said:

I'm not sure that would work without any sort of antennae.  Hopefully someone will chime in, but I'm not hopeful for your chances of success.  

PS

If that's your desk then it appears we use the same folding table as a desk.  High five.  

we do indeed, also there were like 2 gray and black cords plugged into it.

Have you looked up battery replacements for your laptop?

Just now, nick name said:

Have you looked up battery replacements for your laptop?

no, its so old. Once the battery broke, i gave up on it.

1 hour ago, Kaspersome said:

So im a little broke rn, too broke to afford a wireless card. So i thought to myself, hmm i had a laptop that worked, its battery just broke. Maybe i can just take its wireless card out and plug it into my pc. So basically i got the card, and since its an older laptop i was wondering if this card would even work in my pc. Here is a picture of the card. Note this may not even be a wireless thingy, i just assumed it was. Im not experienced with computers like you guys are.

please help meh.

42 minutes ago, nick name said:

Oh, and I believe most mobos put their wifi cards under the IO shield.  If someone gives you promising news you could remove the IO shield to see if there is a slot for that card.

Unfortunetly it's not that easy, those laptop wifi cards use a mini PCIe slot, so you would need to buy an adaptor card that would slot into one of your standard PCIe slots on the motherboard and convert it to the mini PCIe standard and even if you go that route you'd have to pull the wi-fi antennas out of your laptop, because it won't work otherwise. Typical desktop PC motherboards generally don't have mini PCIe slots, unless they come with on-board wi-fi, but in those cases it's already populated with a wi-fi card.

Given how cheaply you can get even the most basic usb wi-fi adaptors trying to get that card into your PC just isn't worth all the hassle.

Edit:

Oh and some newer motherboards that come with on-board wi-fi don't even use the old mini PCIe format for the wi-fi cards, but instead use the m.2 format, so that renders that old wi-fi card even more useless nowadays, since you wouldn't even be able to use it as a replacement for a faulty wi-fi card on a modern mobo.

Those cables that went to the card were the antennas, I believe. Arttu89 is right about the mini PCI slot, would best just to grab one from Newegg. Like this one. Wireless NIC Card 802.11 b/g/n

"Soli Deo Gloria"

IT Technician by trade. Computer/Network equipment enthusiast!

Gaming PC: 

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Stock Core Clock)
  • XFX RX 590 FATBOY 8 GB (Stock Core Clock)
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-F Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2x8) kit 3200 Mhz RAM
  • 512 GB Intel 660p M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot & Current Games)
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Data)
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Backup)
  • Corsair CX650M PSU
  • NZXT S340 Elite Case
  • 24" AOC C24G1 1500r Curved Gaming Monitor 144hz 1080p
  • Turtle Beach Stealth 450 Gaming Headset
  • Corsair K63 10-Keyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX)
  • Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, Razor Death Adder
  • Win10 Home

PC Part Picker Link

"Soli Deo Gloria"

IT Technician by trade. Computer/Network equipment enthusiast!

Gaming PC: 

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Stock Core Clock)
  • XFX RX 590 FATBOY 8 GB (Stock Core Clock)
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-F Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2x8) kit 3200 Mhz RAM
  • 512 GB Intel 660p M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot & Current Games)
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Data)
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Backup)
  • Corsair CX650M PSU
  • NZXT S340 Elite Case
  • 24" AOC C24G1 1500r Curved Gaming Monitor 144hz 1080p
  • Turtle Beach Stealth 450 Gaming Headset
  • Corsair K63 10-Keyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX)
  • Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, Razor Death Adder
  • Win10 Home

PC Part Picker Link

There are PCI_e adapters that would allow you to connect that to your PC. They're cheap. The question is does Windows have a driver for that NIC or does the manufacturer have a Windows 10 version you can download.