Windows 10 Version 1909

Iron_Aspect 1

Is it worth updating to Windows 10 Version 1909? I'm currently running Windows 10 Version 1903. Just curious because I've known a couple of the windows updates are buggy. 

Nothing new features wise really, but I did it for the systems at work via wsus as fallupdates are going to be more stability and enterprise focused, and spring for features. Then update everother

I updated from win 8.1 to 1909 and it’s causing all sorts of wild problems.  If update “for stability” means removing stability from Older  systems then mission accomplished.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Iron_Aspect 1 said:

Is it worth updating to Windows 10 Version 1909? I'm currently running Windows 10 Version 1903. Just curious because I've known a couple of the windows updates are buggy. 

Here is what is new:

Summary: The focus of this version was bug fixes, not features. Microsoft wanted to improve quality of the OS instead of pushing out new features. 

Like every version of Windows 10, before upgrading, make sure that you update all your drivers and software before updating to ensure that everything is compatible with the update process and reduce the chances of issues.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Here is what is new:

The focus of this version was bug fixes, not features.

I found more bug creation myself.  There was feature removal though.  Features like my graphics card.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I found more bug creation myself.  There was feature removal though.  Features like my graphics card.

Sorry to hear. Microsoft is not responsible for the termination of support by your graphics card GPU manufacture.

As for Windows 10 update, you can follow the known issues and if they are fixed (or what is the related fix) before upgrading to the latest version:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1909

Normally, when a new version is released and Windows Update detects an issue that is known, the update will not be made available to you until the situation is solved. Forcing updates is not recommended as you by-pass the upgrade block and you get what you get.

Supposedly 1909 is "bad for gaming"  seen on several websites, even here I think? 

So depending on what you use your computer for not much? 

Btw I had also terrible performance on 1909, am back to uh, 1803 or something and everything is fine and dandy - will update in ca. 355 days as per my "organization's"  settings!   :)

(I don't have an organization but windows seems to think so,  fine with me lol)

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Sorry to hear. Microsoft is not responsible for the termination of support by your graphics card GPU manufacture.

As for Windows 10 update, you can follow the known issues and if they are fixed (or what is the related fix) before upgrading to the latest version:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1909

Normally, when a new version is released and Windows Update detects an issue that is known, the update will not be made available to you until the situation is solved. Forcing updates is not recommended as you by-pass the upgrade block and you get what you get.

Well considering he updated from 8.1... Doesn't that like almost always cause issues?  It would probably be best to fresh install Windows 10, and I'm kinda surprised @Bombastinator doesn't know that? 

Maybe had a bad day? ? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It was responsible in that it kept on auto updating my gpu driver to one that didn’t work.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

It was responsible in that it kept on auto updating my gpu driver to one that didn’t work.

Well that's why you turn auto updates of drivers off. 

I think you can even select which hw / drivers. 

But don't ask me how, Windows is complicated and my organization doesn't tell me anything!  

(I honestly forgot how)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well that's why you turn auto updates of drivers off. 

I think you can even select which hw / drivers. 

But don't ask me how, Windows is complicated and my organization doesn't tell me anything!  

(I honestly forgot how)

I tried but was unable to figure out how.  I did set my internet to “metered” as was suggested in numerous places as a back door way to get it to behave better, but it had limited effectiveness.  Atm I’m hosed because I no longer have the driver that worked.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I tried but was unable to figure out how.  I did set my internet to “metered” as was suggested in numerous places as a back door way to get it to behave better, but it had limited effectiveness.  Atm I’m hosed because I no longer have the driver that worked.

Just look up disable win 10 driver update... It's not that hard but it's a bit hidden, hence idr. 

Or you could install SU10... 

It's a legit program,  just select "disable automatic windows driver updates"  and then reinstall your old driver (if you have it)

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

44 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well considering he updated from 8.1... Doesn't that like almost always cause issues?  It would probably be best to fresh install Windows 10, and I'm kinda surprised @Bombastinator doesn't know that? 

Maybe had a bad day? ? 

I updated win 8.1 to win10 1909 last week on laptop without any issues. And works better than 8.1, all problems gone etc. And that was not my first update from 8.1 to 10. I never understand that problems people have with that. Old Windows files are in separate directory that you can remove by disk cleaner, everything is new except software registry entries (which is good, because old soft still works), Windows removes old drivers and incompatible tools and replace it with new ones.

Maybe I just have only good days? :)

25 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Just look up disable win 10 driver update... It's not that hard but it's a bit hidden, hence idr. 

Or you could install SU10... 

It's a legit program,  just select "disable automatic windows driver updates"  and then reinstall your old driver (if you have it)

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Yeah.  There’s a lot that’s hidden.  Getting to safe mode for instance is an incredible totally non intuitive hassle.  I would never have found it at all without instruction.  It’s like they don’t want you to use it.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah.  There’s a lot that’s hidden.  Getting to safe mode for instance is an incredible totally non intuitive hassle.  I would never have found it at all without instruction.  It’s like they don’t want you to use it.

Not really. Look at Linux - lot of settings are possible only using command line, because nobody never prepare any GUI for them.

Making GUI for everything is lot of work and most of people will be terrified if control panel gives them 1000 options more. Especially if that options may cause problems later (for example - user first disable driver updates and then, after a week, will be angry because he will have problems with update drivers somehow - and of course because "stupid Windows don't let me do it!"). So Windows is flexible enough to setup everything you like, just not everything is possible using GUI.

So programs like OO ShutUp 10 are basically list of shortcuts to registry entries or some more hidden settings. But they're not for regular users.

And who said that Microsoft must prepare every possible tool for everything? 3rd party tools are the same good for configure system (if they're good written).

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Not really. Look at Linux - lot of settings are possible only using command line, because nobody never prepare any GUI for them.

Making GUI for everything is lot of work and most of people will be terrified if control panel gives them 1000 options more. Especially if that options may cause problems later (for example - user first disable driver updates and then, after a week, will be angry because he will have problems with update drivers somehow - and of course because "stupid Windows don't let me do it!"). So Windows is flexible enough to setup everything you like, just not everything is possible using GUI.

So programs like OO ShutUp 10 are basically list of shortcuts to registry entries or some more hidden settings. But they're not for regular users.

And who said that Microsoft must prepare every possible tool for everything? 3rd party tools are the same good for configure system (if they're good written).

I try not to look at linux and I fully agree.  Comparing the linux GUI to the win10 gui is quite a smear against Microsoft: “people working randomly for free and actively fighting each other are doing as good a job as you lot are” is quite an accusation.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

“people working randomly for free (..)"

...will be poor in the future. A programmer with great experience will earn less than an unskilled worker washing dishes, because "good programmers works for free" (and there is no group of people who offers "free dishwashing").

I have mixed feelings about that working for free idea. It's nice when programmers learn or create small tools, but whole operating system or complex software? I would not like to work in company that must declare bankruptcy because bunch of people makes similar software for free.

But hey - it's still better to be a programmer than graphics designer. ;)

Sorry for OT.

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Did you report the problem to the GPU manufacture? Nvidia/AMD/Intel doesn't browse this forum to know about issues.

In the case of issues like this, Microsoft has issued ages ago, a utility to exclude/hide driver updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

213480112_Annotation2020-01-08091929.png.b67226d8060297ac52c6c6e20b88c013.png

Simply run, pick the driver you don't want, and it will not be installed. 

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

...will be poor in the future. A programmer with great experience will earn less than an unskilled worker washing dishes, because "good programmers works for free" (and there is no group of people who offers "free dishwashing").

No. Programmers don't work for free. Being paid allows them to do this side work, which helps others and themselves do their job.

This is like saying Good IT work for free, because you have Linus Tech Tips where you have free advice from highly knowledgeable people.

I have mixed feelings about that working for free idea. It's nice when programmers learn or create small tools, but whole operating system or complex software? I would not like to work in company that must declare bankruptcy because bunch of people makes similar software for free.

You should not worry about Microsoft or any company financial situation if you are not a shareholder or investor. A well manage company will adapt. Microsoft is adapting to market changes... and they were very late to the party, and look, they are doing great! Great leadership mixed with talented people at all levels in a corporation thanks to careful hiring, puts everything on their side to succeed. Windows is getting to be a service, full on. It is question of time. They are almost there. The moment they get users using Edge and/or Bing and/or Microsoft Store (doing purchases, that is), then that would definitely replace the revenue from Windows sales and be officially free. Microsoft main revenue is no longer Windows. If you see their financial statements, it is pretty shocking how little Windows brings in these days. The company has adapted, the company main revenue is Azure now, not Windows, and Azure is not up to sizes of AWS which has majority shares, thank of them being, as we speak, a more mature platform, ease of use, better connectivity, and bigger and better servers. (Azure wins by having pricing cheaper on setup environments that are more costly than AWS, Azure ready to negotiate long terms deal with companies, AWS doesn't really, beside massive deals, Azure wins in company ease of payment  system (goes through Office 365), Azure has more locations around the world than AWS, so if you need a strong global access, including regions like Africa, with great performance, than Azure is your best choice.

But anyways.

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Supposedly 1909 is "bad for gaming"  seen on several websites, even here I think? 

Link please (link must include an article with actual data and not just random claims). Keep in mind that CPU performance can get a hit due to the security vulnerabilities that have been discovered. You can regain the performance by making your BIOS/UEFI and CPU microcode (comes with it) is updated, if the motherboard manufacture chooses to still support the affected hardware, or well, upgrade your CPU (which will also be faster).

40 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Link please

I'm finding tons of such issues for 1903, but not really for 1909, so maybe I mixed those up. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techpowerup.com/253427/microsoft-confirms-latest-windows-10-update-may-decrease-performance-in-certain-gaming-scenarios%3famp

However,  I knew I read something about it here too,  and also several reddit posts with similar content (which I can't find now but I know I saw them lol)

^ I actually thought there was a thread about this too,  but seems it was only this lone post? 

And like I said,  I tested it too,  I had really bad performance with 1903 and 1909, even though, weirdly, the windows power plans actually worked for once, ie actually automatically downclocked my CPU, which I have to accomplish with manual settings in my current version (1803)

So even if that's not widespread perhaps there is an issue with 1903/1909  and I certainly will not update to it.  Next update is scheduled around end of the year, heh. 

PS: 1903 also removed my surround sound settings,  which did not come back even after restoring to a previous version, very mysterious! 

At least I got my performance back though. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity