How do i connect this led strip to my PC?

WFishy

I recently i bought this led strip of AliExpress but I dont have clue how to connect it. Can someone help me?

IMG_4978.jpg

Hopefully you learned something... don't buy any crap without researching or reading the manual first.

That looks like it's a strip made with addressable leds , you have voltage, data and ground. Voltage is most likely 5v.

There's several standards of RGB on computers, read the manual and see what standard your motherboard supports.

One of the major ones is 4 pin, 12v (power), red, green and blue ... which won't be compatible with the strip you chose.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Hopefully you learned something... don't buy any crap without researching or reading the manual first.

That looks like it's a strip made with addressable leds , you have voltage, data and ground. Voltage is most likely 5v.

There's several standards of RGB on computers, read the manual and see what standard your motherboard supports.

One of the major ones is 4 pin, 12v (power), red, green and blue ... which won't be compatible with the strip you chose.

oh well. it was only 3 euros. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000282690862.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5d89186di7UI55&algo_pvid=f2f2f0d6-fddf-41a0-9a02-0b6f194dc33b&algo_expid=f2f2f0d6-fddf-41a0-9a02-0b6f194dc33b-2&btsid=32aeb288-d56b-422a-8294-4629a637a2b4&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5,searchweb201603_53 i guess this one would work with a molex connector right?

First lets start by addding some PC specs, ESPECIALLY your motherboard. And the led-strip itself. Maybe read my signature. :)

And i would NOT connect this to anything computer if you not sure what you doing. (i would use a cheaper adapter for that ;) )

But depending on your motherboard you might be able to connect it to your pc. But chances are slim.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

i don't think any mb has that connector so you will have to cut it off and use a standard connector or get an adapter. or you can get a cheap controller for it.

the connector on your strip is a jst-sm 3 pin 5v argb

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

As HanZie82 stated, without some of your computer specs, mainly your motherboard, we really can't help you. Let us know what you have and then help can be had.

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Heat Sink: AMD Wraith Prism RGB, Video Card: FTW GeForce RTX 3080, Memory: 4 x G. Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 8GB (total 32GB), Power Supply: Thermaltake Tough Power Grand RGB750W, MonitorAOC Q32G1WG4, HD: 2 x Samsung EVO 850 and 4 x Seagate 2TB ST2000DL 003-9VT166 SATA HD, Keyboard: G. Skill RipJaws KM780R RGB Mechanical Keyboard, Mouse: Logitech G903 Wireless, Network Adaptor: D-Link DWA-192 AC1900 Wi-Fi USB 3.0

On 1/6/2020 at 11:07 PM, thrasher_565 said:

i don't think any mb has that connector so you will have to cut it off and use a standard connector or get an adapter. or you can get a cheap controller for it.

the connector on your strip is a jst-sm 3 pin 5v argb

Just FYI my motherboard has 3 led strip connectors.

1. Regular 12 V RGB
  2. Less regular WRGB 5pin
  3. And the adressable light 3 pins, and selectable for 5V or 12V

So any ledstrip will go on my motherboard.

(The more you know :) )

11 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Just FYI my motherboard has 3 led strip connectors.

1. Regular 12 V RGB
  2. Less regular WRGB 5pin
  3. And the adressable light 3 pins, and selectable for 5V or 12V

So any ledstrip will go on my motherboard.

(The more you know :) )

ok smart ass i dint say i wouldn't work just said THAT connector dose not fit any mb rgb header! jst-sm in not a thing with pc mbs. the strips that uses it are for using it ouside or around the room.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

8 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ok smart ass i dint say i wouldn't work just said THAT connector dose not fit any mb rgb header! jst-sm in not a thing with pc mbs. the strips that uses it are for using it ouside or around the room.

Calm down, mister name caller, jees.
I just said it so the topic starter wouldn't misconstrue it as not possible at all.

And that something is made for something else don't make it non-compatible. Its how i save money on computer parts. Cus as soon as they put computer part on it the price gets 15% higher.