Thoughts about using the rear fan as intake?

SaHaRzZz

I know how it sounds, but the situation i'll be handling will look like this:

NZXT H710 + dual 280mm radiators front & top.
I tried to mspaint what I'm thinking of doing, do you think it's better to use the 140mm as intake rather than exhaust in my case?

Untitled.png

If you do it that way you may want one of those magnetic stick on filters for your rear fan.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, SaHaRzZz said:

I know how it sounds, but the situation i'll be handling will look like this:

NZXT H710 + dual 280mm radiators front & top.
I tried to mspaint what I'm thinking of doing, do you think it's better to use the 140mm as intake rather than exhaust in my case?

It's usually best to have the air flow smoothly from intake to exhaust without having to change direction significantly.  Otherwise you'll introduce a lot of turbulence, which could hinder cooling.

BUT, based on the fact that you have x2 280 mm rads I'm guessing your CPU and GPU are water cooled.  Is that correct?  Is so it will probably be fine, but I'd still use the rear as an exhaust to try to get some flow across the remaining motherboard components.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

I think you'll find it more satisfying to test it out yourself.  

I, myself, wouldn't use air from within the case to cool a rad.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Why tho? It will create a ton of turbulence and create dead zones where air isn't moved at all. 

@RAS_3885 Forgot to mention that CPU and GPU aren't the only components that create heat. Rest of the graphics card will create heat and VRMs around CPU will also create A LOT of heat since you will overclock the hell out of the CPU and also the GPU.

You're better off with "Classic" front intake and rear/top exhaust. Just setup the fans in such a way that intake fans spin faster than exhaust fans to create balanced airflow.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

3 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

@RAS_3885 Forgot to mention that CPU and GPU aren't the only components that create heat. Rest of the graphics card will create heat and VRMs around CPU will also create A LOT of heat since you will overclock the hell out of the CPU and also the GPU.

I agree, which is why I stated I'd still go with rear exhaust for all the reasons you mention.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

23 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

It's usually best to have the air flow smoothly from intake to exhaust without having to change direction significantly.  Otherwise you'll introduce a lot of turbulence, which could hinder cooling.

BUT, based on the fact that you have x2 280 mm rads I'm guessing your CPU and GPU are water cooled.  Is that correct?  Is so it will probably be fine, but I'd still use the rear as an exhaust to try to get some flow across the remaining motherboard components.

6 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Why tho? It will create a ton of turbulence and create dead zones where air isn't moved at all. 

You're better off with "Classic" front intake and rear/top exhaust. Just setup the fans in such a way that intake fans spin faster than exhaust fans to create balanced airflow.

Yes both my CPU & GPU are water cooled, but the VRMs on the graphics card are air cooled by a 92mm fan (NZXT Kraken g12).

And yes I want to make sure that the MB's VRMs are cooled as well (x370 crosshair vi hero),
and the main reason I think about this setup is because I want to top radiator to get cooler air and I'm thinking that this is the way to do it, I can't mount a 280mm rad as rear exhaust.

So you think keeping the rear fan as exhaust will be preferable in any case?

It should work but you'll need a solution for dust

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo

11 hours ago, vukos said:

It should work but you'll need a solution for dust

Completely blanked about this one, I don't have a rear dust filter and I should definitely use it as exhaust.

2 hours ago, SaHaRzZz said:

Completely blanked about this one, I don't have a rear dust filter and I should definitely use it as exhaust.

If it’s exaust you don’t need one.  Only if it’s intake.  They’re really cheap.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.