Should I buy a MacBook Pro 15 or iMac 27 5k

I am not sure whether to buy a imac 27 or a MacBook Pro 15 

I currently have a 13 MacBook Pro and I video edit this is a base model from 2017 and it is not powerful enough for my needs Im not sure between a MacBook pro 15 and a iMac 27 

the MacBook Pro 15 will have a rx 560 gpu and a ssd 

the iMac will have a rx 570x but a fusion drive If I were to get the desktop I would have to buy a laptop in the future for my next year of school due to no laptops being provided. Should I get the iMac 27 or the MacBook pro 15

the mbp 15 will be a 2017 model 

I can't decide between either of them 

they will cost around the same since If I get a MacBook Pro 15 it will be a 2017 model used or refurbished

what would be the better decision 

Does it have to be a Mac?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Id go macbook pro. Its nice having a fast laptop since you have to have a laptop already.

What are you editing with and what footage? Id stay away from that fusion drive on that imac. What cpu does the imac have?

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id go macbook pro. Its nice having a fast laptop since you have to have a laptop already.

What are you editing with and what footage? Id stay away from that fusion drive on that imac. What cpu does the imac have?

the imac will have a 3.0GHz 6‑core 8th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, and I will be doing editing cinematic film skits and possibly some gameplay in the future what do you think even though the iMac has a rx 570x while mbp has rx 560

1 minute ago, Joshmakey12 said:

the imac will have a 3.0GHz 6‑core 8th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, and I will be doing editing cinematic film skits and possibly some gameplay in the future what do you think even though the iMac has a rx 570x while mbp has rx 560

What programs? What type of footage?

Your old macbook should do that fine if setup right.

What games do you want to play, both aren't great for games.

I will be doing 4k raw footage for cinematic videos  mainly and doing skits and gaming  footage for youtube and other things on the side 

and for games I would want to play grand theft auto and apex

I will be editing with final cut pro 

1 minute ago, Joshmakey12 said:

I will be doing 4k raw footage for cinematic videos  mainly and doing skits and gaming  footage for youtube and other things on the side 

and for games I would want to play grand theft auto and apex

I will be editing with final cut pro 

Can you use proxies? That should let you edit easily on your current system.

Id personally get the macbook as you need a laptop aswell. 

If you need a desktop id be tempted to either get a mini or a old pro or a hackintosh and use your own monitors.

alright I will consider the MacBook Pro 15 over the iMac 27 

Would you get it WAY cheaper than the 16" Macbook Pro?

Because, even the Macbook Pro 15" from 2019 is far inferior to the 16", almost just because of the Keyboard, or even just because of the FAR superior Performance.

MBP 2017 will give you a very early revision of the Buttertrash keyboard.

In my Opinion, the 15" has to be at least 25% cheaper than the current 16" Base model, and even then i would consider the 16".

I would even go as far and say: Every single 15" Butterfly Model is completely obsolete now, because the FAR better 16" exists - which doesn't just fix the defective Keyboard, but also way better Sound, bigger Battery, WAY MORE performance.

But to answer your question:

Buy a Macbook, if you want a Mobile Notebook.
Buy an iMac, if you want a stationary Computer.