Sennheiser HD558 first impression [UPDATE REVIEW]

WereCat

Hi (sorry for my english), I just received my new Sennheisers HD558. I was using Sennheiser HD203 and Koss Porta Pro before. But Koss build quality was awfull, they was falling apart since they were new and Sennheiser HD203 had not near such a good sound in terms of listening to music, in video games they were very decent. But since I dont play so much games lately and listen more to music I decided to invest some more money into headphones and also out of curiosity. I never had oportunity to try high end headphones so I couldnt tell what is good/bad about them.

First impression:
They arrived, I unpacked them, plugged them into my PC, tried few songs and was really dissapointed. They were better than HD203 but not near what I expected... and then I noticed that jack that goes into headphones is not connected properly, so I pushed it in and ... I feel like in heaven now. Everything is clear, even song on youtube sound a lot different, better. I can hear sound I had no idea they were here before or they were like behind doors.

Summary:

I am verry happy with these, after I resolved problem with jack I can tell there is a huge difference in sound quality. Now I will use them for at least month to let them burn in and then write update about how I feel about them.

I hope that you had good reading. Have a nice day!

UPDATE:

So I was using them for month now.

Compared to when I first used them, they were comfortable before but now I dont even feel them on my head.

Sound wise, I dont see much of a difference after burning in. Yes they sound a little bit better in every aspect but its not a big deal. They still sound really good.

Nothing broke on them so far and build quality looks solid so I am happy.

I dont really know what more to say other than that they are the best headphones I ever had and I will be using them for quite along time (hopefully). But I am glad that I did not spend more money on HD 598s as they may sound better but I dont think that kind of price gap is worth it as these sound really really really good.

Cheers for the update, I'm (still) shopping for new headphones and the HD558 were in my list. How comfortable are they?

Cheers for the update, I'm (still) shopping for new headphones and the HD558 were in my list. How comfortable are they?

They are little bit heavier than I am used to but they are not pushing me anywhere or causing uncomfort. I am wearing them for like an hour and half now and my ears are not warm or sweaty or in pain. So comfort is definitely great.

Very comfortable headphones, but if you can get the HD 598`s or the HD 600`s is even better.

The 598s are heavenly

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

As I promised, there is review after letting them burn in after one month intensive usage.

I edited my first post.

The 598s are heavenly

More comfortable than the 558?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

They are identical in comfort. I personally prefer the sound and look of the 558s more than the 598s as well.

to me the 598's did look odd. Like old computer beish with old car wood

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

to me the 598's did look odd. Like old computer beish with old car wood

I liked the look for approximately 10 minutes until my girlfriend said "imagine those on your head in public" and I immediately laughed.

I liked the look for approximately 10 minutes until my girlfriend said "imagine those on your head in public" and I immediately laughed.

Yeah

Ive tried them in futureshop. Id say just putting them off i was sure they were comfy. Also comparing sounds for one. The iconic dr.drebeats a like listening music through a tin can. While 558 is like being in real life listening to all the insterments. All low mids and highs aRe clear. Down the road i do plan to buy these on sale if they go for like 149.99. I have pc320 for gaming sound is good to but but lacks bass vs 558. Pc320 have good sound for gaming head set. I got those babies for 49.99. Reg 129.99

Amd fx-8320 oc 4.1ghz, 8gb ram, gtx 780ti 3gb, 240gb ssd, 1.5tb hdd,