Ethernet in my Room far from the WiFi router to my computer

PedroGaspar

So, i bought a PC, but cant play without internet. So how can i link the Ethernet cable to my PC without bringing it all the way to my Room?

4 minutes ago, PedroGaspar said:

So, i bought a PC, but cant play without internet. So how can i link the Ethernet cable to my PC without bringing it all the way to my Room?

ethernet is a cable, no matter how you look at it, it needs to go from point A(router) to point B(pc)

either move the pc or the router if you cannot get the cable from point to point.

or invest in a very long cable and wrap it the long way around your house.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

2 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

ethernet is a cable, no matter how you look at it, it needs to go from point A(router) to point B(pc)

either move the pc or the router if you cannot get the cable from point to point.

or invest in a very long cable and wrap it the long way around your house.

Isnt there like a switch or an "extender" that i can just plug in the cable between it and the PC? Or having like a second router queres i can plug the cable?

1 minute ago, PedroGaspar said:

Isnt there like a switch or an "extender" that i can just plug in the cable between it and the PC?

yeah but that often adds lag and complexity, a 100ft cable is $20 on amazon, which should cover most houses

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

2 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

yeah but that often adds lag and complexity, a 100ft cable is $20 on amazon, which should cover most houses

What about like a second router? Is it too expensive?

Doesn't work like that... You can try powerline adapters, they convert the electrical wiring in your home to Ethernet without needing to run cable, you plug one in the wall by the router and hook up the Ethernet then one in the wall by your pc and then connect the Ethernet from the adapter to the computer. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV1000-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B06WP2ZT5N/ref=sxts_b2b_sx_reorder?keywords=powerline+adapter&pd_rd_i=B06WP2ZT5N&pd_rd_r=c2694e1e-f956-4141-80fd-afc06494bd35&pd_rd_w=m0cIg&pd_rd_wg=GakJu&pf_rd_p=a7bfb983-e674-4caa-917b-596cc469ad1f&pf_rd_r=NX2K3764Y5EEJYXE1TYF&qid=1577752786

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

6 minutes ago, PedroGaspar said:

$20 for a single 100ft cable vs $50 for a network switch and a hit to performance.

You may also add more switches in the future, which even hits your speeds even more.

This is why your router must be as close to the center of the house as possible, as much as wifey says no, makes all these issues much smaller

2 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Doesn't work like that... You can try powerline adapters, they convert the electrical wiring in your home to Ethernet without needing to run cable, you plug one in the wall by the router and hook up the Ethernet then one in the wall by your pc and then connect the Ethernet from the adapter to the computer.

powerline only works if it's the same line from the breaker.

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Doesn't work like that... You can try powerline adapters, they convert the electrical wiring in your home to Ethernet without needing to run cable, you plug one in the wall by the router and hook up the Ethernet then one in the wall by your pc and then connect the Ethernet from the adapter to the computer. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV1000-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B06WP2ZT5N/ref=sxts_b2b_sx_reorder?keywords=powerline+adapter&pd_rd_i=B06WP2ZT5N&pd_rd_r=c2694e1e-f956-4141-80fd-afc06494bd35&pd_rd_w=m0cIg&pd_rd_wg=GakJu&pf_rd_p=a7bfb983-e674-4caa-917b-596cc469ad1f&pf_rd_r=NX2K3764Y5EEJYXE1TYF&qid=1577752786

Sounds promissing, isnt there a cheaper modelo that doesnt make the internet unstabble?

1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

$20 for a single 100ft cable vs $50 for a network switch and a hit to performance.

You may also add more switches in the future, which even hits your speeds even more.

This is why your router must be as close to the center of the house as possible, as much as wifey says no, makes all these issues much smaller

A cable flying around here is not an options.

Just now, PedroGaspar said:

A cable flying around here is not an options.

then wifi is your only option, if your pc doesn't have wifi, get a wifi card for $30

then wifi is your only option, if your pc doesn't have wifi, get a wifi card for $30

But why wouldnt the powerline work?

My wi-fi house WiFi os terrible, thats why i need it by cable

But why wouldnt the powerline work?

5 minutes ago, PedroGaspar said:

Sounds promissing, isnt there a cheaper modelo that doesnt make the internet unstabble?

all powerline adapters are more or less the same. mostly glitchy and slow, only a last resort, and wifi is better if you actually try to set it up properly.

Like someone said already I think the 100ft ethernet cable works

1 hour ago, PedroGaspar said:

You have 4 options. 

1) Use Ethernet cable directly

2) Use Moca adapters (Expensive ish, and you need coax near your router and near your computer) 

3) Use Powerline adapters (may or may not work with your electrical, depends on age of wiring and if its to code) 

4) Use WiFi 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

ethernet, will always be the best option, 

move your router closer to potentially help with wifi signal

install a AP not a router to also help with wifi.

moca,powerline may or may not work.

15 hours ago, Jumballi said:

all powerline adapters are more or less the same. mostly glitchy and slow, only a last resort, and wifi is better if you actually try to set it up properly.

Not at all the case, 9/10 times I've set up powerline adapters in homes with good wiring they've been able to deliver pretty much the full internet speed and have been completely stable, if you get cheap or off brand adapters or have shit wiring in your home then they will work poorly or not at all. It's something you would just have to get and test, if they work for you they work, if they don't return them, it's as simple as that. OP doesn't want to run cable and doesn't want to buy expensive equipment, so I gave them a less expensive option, which as long as the wiring in their home is good and they get a quality adapter should work well for them.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

15 hours ago, Jumballi said:

Switches add near imperceptible amounts of latency, on the order of 10s of nanoseconds and do not impact your speed in any way.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

17 hours ago, PedroGaspar said:

Had this exact problem... Move the MODEM to the pc, not the other way.

If you still need wifi, bring the router too, but plug you pc into the modem if it allows a second port. This will lower your ping an extra 1 or 2ms

derp

6 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

Had this exact problem... Move the MODEM to the pc, not the other way.

If you still need wifi, bring the router too, but plug you pc into the modem if it allows a second port. This will lower your ping an extra 1 or 2ms

If it's a true modem with no built in router functionality then it will hand out a public IP to the first device that asks and ignore the rest leaving either your PC or the rest of the home without internet.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 hours ago, Lurick said:

If it's a true modem with no built in router functionality then it will hand out a public IP to the first device that asks and ignore the rest leaving either your PC or the rest of the home without internet.

Yeah... I avoided that... whatever you said... by just calling the ISP. Cost like 30 bucks, works flawless.

derp