(Fixed) Computer freezes at mobo logo

Artoo
Go to solution Solved by Tombfoot,

Could you inspect the Ryzen chip for me and make 100% sure that all the pins on the chip are good and not bent?

I would have suspected the memory but it seems you have covered yourself by using your old memory.

If after inspecting your CPU all pins are good then my suspicion is faulty CPU or motherboard.

SOLUTION:

CPU pretty much died and would freeze during bios.

Hello,

I built a new PC recently and everything worked perfectly, flawless victory I'd say.

Well...almost flawless... untill yesterday....

After around hour of normal working I got my first BSOD and I didn't mind much of it. I let it finish collect data and restart by itself...

5 minutes after a reboot it got me back to BSOD once again... this time i was worried a bit more.

The error was: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

I wanted to try and troubleshoot it this time but that's when the nightmare began. Suddenly my computer would just hard freeze right after mobo's logo. Sometimes I would see a line at top left (not blinking, just static) and sometimes nothing at all. Would see that monitor is connected and trying to display the darkness...

Whenever I tried to enter BIOS it would just freeze on the logo, sometimes it would get me into an easy mode and crash a second after it.

I tried so far:

1. Disconnect everything but keyboard and HDMI out of I/O.

2. Switch RAM from A1 B1 to A2 B2 channels

3. Use only 1 stick of RAM both at A1 and A2

4. Use RAM from an old build

5. Unplug all HDD, SSDs

6. Clear CMOS

7. QFLASH PLUS to latest update (which worked as I see new updated UI logo frozen.)

8. Sleep it off

I still wanna try to plug all the storage, RAM and GPU into an old build and see if it boots up, I will do it later today as I am back home.

My rig:

Mobo: Aorus elite x570 - new

CPU: Ryzen 3 3700X - new

RAM: 2x8 3200 16CL vengeance rgb pro - new

PSU: Gugabyte 750W PFC Gold 80+ part modular - new

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 WINDFORCE OC 8G - old

SOS

9 minutes ago, Artoo said:

Hello,

I built a new PC recently and everything worked perfectly, flawless victory I'd say.

Well...almost flawless... untill yesterday....

After around hour of normal working I got my first BSOD and I didn't mind much of it. I let it finish collect data and restart by itself...

5 minutes after a reboot it got me back to BSOD once again... this time i was worried a bit more.

The error was: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

I wanted to try and troubleshoot it this time but that's when the nightmare began. Suddenly my computer would just hard freeze right after mobo's logo. Sometimes I would see a line at top left (not blinking, just static) and sometimes nothing at all. Would see that monitor is connected and trying to display the darkness...

Whenever I tried to enter BIOS it would just freeze on the logo, sometimes it would get me into an easy mode and crash a second after it.

I tried so far:

1. Disconnect everything but keyboard and HDMI out of I/O.

2. Switch RAM from A1 B1 to A2 B2 channels

3. Use only 1 stick of RAM both at A1 and A2

4. Use RAM from old build

5. Remove all HDD, SSD

6. Clear CMOS

7. QFLASH PLUS to latest update (which worked as I see new updated UI logo frozen.)

8. Sleep it off

I still wanna try to plug all the storage, RAM and GPU into an old build and see if it boots up, I will do it later today as I am back home.

My rig:

Mobo: Aorus elite x570 - new

CPU: Ryzen 3 3700X - new

RAM: 2x8 3200 16CL vengeance rgb pro - new

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 WINDFORCE OC 8G - old

SOS

try replacing the hdd

4 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

try replacing the hdd

I tried to get to mobo without any storage, it still freezes.

4 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

try replacing the hdd

And try researching more about the BSODs you get

8 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

Find the solution for the BSOD

I did read about it,

It's a deadlock (one process waiting for another in an infinite loop).

My windows was updated to the latest version and I haven't overclocked my CPU nor my GPU. I would try and reinstall the windows but I am not even able to get into a bios as it freezes on me instantly.

Could you inspect the Ryzen chip for me and make 100% sure that all the pins on the chip are good and not bent?

I would have suspected the memory but it seems you have covered yourself by using your old memory.

If after inspecting your CPU all pins are good then my suspicion is faulty CPU or motherboard.

Wait. I just did a google search for Ryzen and your error code and found the following-

Guy with the same issue reinstalled Windows using the latest build of Windows 10. If you use an older version of Win10 apparently Ryzen does not play nice with it. Make sure you use an installation media with a very recent version of windows and try doing a fresh install of that.

Also make sure to install the AMD chipset drivers.

7 minutes ago, Tombfoot said:

Wait. I just did a google search for Ryzen and your error code and found the following-

Guy with the same issue reinstalled Windows using the latest build of Windows 10. If you use an older version of Win10 apparently Ryzen does not play nice with it. Make sure you use an installation media with a very recent version of windows and try doing a fresh install of that.

Also make sure to install the AMD chipset drivers.

Or he could just replace the CPU with a another one. But your method is probably better.

11 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

Or he could just replace the CPU with a another one. But your method is probably better.

The thread in question I found that info from -- the guy who had the same issue returned his CPU thinking it was faulty only to have the same problem upon arrival of a brand new replacement processor.

7 minutes ago, Tombfoot said:

The thread in question I found that info from -- the guy who had the same issue returned his CPU thinking it was faulty only to have the same problem upon arrival of a brand new replacement processor.

When I meant by replacing the CPU, I meant by using a different CPU.

So I tested my GPU, RAM and SSD with my older build and it works just fine.

My windows is updated to the latest version.

When I did QFLASH PLUS which requires to remove everything except 24 and 8 pin connectors I checked the pins and none are bent.

Edit: I cant check my CPU nor my mobo in other build as it contains I7 7700 and an intel mobo.

21 minutes ago, Artoo said:

So I tested my GPU, RAM and SSD with my older build and it works just fine.

My windows is updated to the latest version.

When I did QFLASH PLUS which is requires to remove everything except 24 and 8 pin connectors I checked the pins and none are bent.

Edit: I cant check my CPU nor my mobo in other build as I have I7 7700 and an intel mobo.

So the problem is either the motherboard or on the CPU.

Your going to have look for solutions online, which most of the time is frustrating.

Okay so I found the issue, it was the CPU, would freeze on any other bios as well.

Waiting for a new replacement, thanks for the help.

I am afraid though if it was the mobo that fried my CPU... I guess I will find out soon.

21 minutes ago, Artoo said:

Okay so I found the issue, it was the CPU, would freeze on any other bios as well.

Waiting for a new replacement, thanks for the help.

I am afraid though if it was the mobo that fried my CPU... I guess I will find out soon.

I mean, of course it's possible,  reading the trouble shooting section here for some time and my own experience is it's usually the motherboard,  Ryzen failure rate seems rather low... 

But either way,  you have to try... If new CPU still not work it's 99% your motherboard. In which case I would try a different model probably as your current one might have issues with the rest of your setup. 

The issue I had was random reboots into BIOS, which you'd think could have all kinds of reasons, CPU, RAM,  Windows...  But I just changed my motherboard (to an older one) and it's fixed completely... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity