I just feel like Devs downgrade games for PC because of consoles.

F.E.A.R.

yes consoles are holding graphics back. without consoles existing at all we would probably have graphics cards that can do twice or thrice the performance they can do now. many people hate nvidia for releasing new cards with minor performance improvements but it is business logic that they do not reveal their cards or developments unless it is necessary so you can't really blame them. 

what's your point though? consoles are not going away so stop complaining and stop focusing so much on graphics. play games that you like and leave it at that or just quit gaming if you can't get over it. the hardware they're putting into next gen is still going to be a joke compared to what has been available on pc but as they try to keep the costs down for console plebs who don't wanna pay too much money on a console they'll be using for +5 years they are forced to put garbage in. the ssd they're putting into the consoles will probs be 20% of the total cost.

Game developers that do PC game releases will rarely target the high-end from the get go anyway. As a data point, let's take at the Steam Hardware Survey. Now this isn't the end-all-be-all what's in everyone's rigs, but it's certainly a valuable set of data. Here's the sticking point, GPUs in the top 25th percentile are mid to lower midrange GPUs; those in the ~$200 price category. CPUs in the top 50th percentile are quad cores, with over 75% of people who reported their hardware having either a dual-core or quad-core processor.

If you're going to develop a game on a PC, it stands to reason that if you want people to actually be interested enough to buy your game, you should probably target systems with hardware that people have the most of. When Crysis was released, the joke was few actually bought it. It was heavily pirated as people used it as a benchmark tool. Few people were going to drop full price for a game they couldn't run at an acceptable performance.

As for why beta footage tends to look better than the final release, it's because that's marketing's job. They exist to sell you dreams and not realities.

Not all PC gamers have PC better than consoles. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

14 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Not all PC gamer have PC better than consoles. 

I thing that it will get worse next year with the new consoles.

PC gaming was an expensive hobby at first but it got cheaper over time. Now it is getting expensive again if you want to stay ahead of consoles.

I am going back to using consoles next year because single player story based games seem to come out on them first and I will not have the excuse to wait for better graphics.  

19 hours ago, RetroGeneral said:

These days i have often more trouble with older games or heck, even new one then with the ports. Already obtained a stance not to buy in the first few months after a fresh release. EA seems to be the only company that with a line of games, spanning almost 20 years, of which almost all are playable right from the get go.

Not all.

Mass Effect 2 has glitches that I have to fix with mods or I could not complete them. Every time I do a replay I am shocked to see that they are still not fixed. Even Andromeda has glitches that make it unplayable for me and they are not being fixed either.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

5 hours ago, jones177 said:

I thing that it will get worse next year with the new consoles.

PC gaming was an expensive hobby at first but it got cheaper over time. Now it is getting expensive again if you want to stay ahead of consoles.

I don't get why anyone would care whether they're ahead of the current gen of consoles or not. They should care about what performance level they happen to want to achieve - if that happens to be better than a console, awesome. The fact that the next gen consoles are going to be a fairly significant performance boost over the current gen is an awesome thing for everyone, PC gamers included.

I am going back to using consoles next year because single player story based games seem to come out on them first and I will not have the excuse to wait for better graphics.

I game on both, but tend to do most of my gaming on my One S right now - I considered upgrading to the One X, but I may strongly consider the new gen when it's released.

Not all.

Mass Effect 2 has glitches that I have to fix with mods or I could not complete them. Every time I do a replay I am shocked to see that they are still not fixed. Even Andromeda has glitches that make it unplayable for me and they are not being fixed either.

A game as old as ME2 is unlikely to ever get any more patches, unless they decide to do some kind of HD re-master type situation. Not impossible, just unlikely. Andromeda had all kinds of issues from the get-go, and from my understanding, a lot of the glitches and bugs are so deeply tied to the core code that some of them may be impossible to fix without a complete overhaul. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but I'd be surprised if they ever fixed it completely.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

22 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Not all PC gamer have PC better than consoles. 

True,  true!  looking at the steam surveys... Many have laptops that run games at 576p or something,  but even then it's kinda superior due to latencies  and,  mods!   :)

(tho debatable ofc) 

But then again,  I think the point OP was trying to make they don't get "downgraded" they were just never optimized for PCs,  but that is also really getting better too,  many new engines have good scalability and multi core support... It all comes down to the game engines used and the devs ability to optimize for PC, with better textures or physics for example, it sometimes happens,  usually console textures with a bit better compression rate are deemed "good enough" though and PC players will be happy for any console port they get honestly it's not a given a dev or publisher goes beyond what's really absolutely necessary anymore for console ports - mainly because of what I already said,  consoles are ridiculously slow this gen so it's not really worth it to optimize for much more powerful machines. 

PS: of course many PC only games share the same issues,  game engines are generally made with console specs in mind,  altho as mentioned it seems to get better. 

Or they are made in Unity or similar "indie" engines with very low budget, can't expect much, you just have to be glad it runs at all ;)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't get why anyone would care whether they're ahead of the current gen of consoles or not. They should care about what performance level they happen to want to achieve - if that happens to be better than a console, awesome. The fact that the next gen consoles are going to be a fairly significant performance boost over the current gen is an awesome thing for everyone, PC gamers included.

I am always ahead of consoles and I can't achieve the performance I want because the hardware is not on the market yet.  I have to wait.

I play at 4k and 3840 X 1600. I would like to play at 120hz plus but my 2080 tis are not up to it. I need next gen GPUs.

I game on both, but tend to do most of my gaming on my One S right now - I considered upgrading to the One X, but I may strongly consider the new gen when it's released.

I have the X Box One but it has not been turned on for a very long time. My PS 3 is used as a Blu-ray player only.

With past gens consoles I bought both along with what ever Nintendo had. 

The only reason I have a renewed interest is because single player story based games seem to come out on them first and sometimes never on the PC.

A game as old as ME2 is unlikely to ever get any more patches, unless they decide to do some kind of HD re-master type situation. Not impossible, just unlikely. Andromeda had all kinds of issues from the get-go, and from my understanding, a lot of the glitches and bugs are so deeply tied to the core code that some of them may be impossible to fix without a complete overhaul. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but I'd be surprised if they ever fixed it completely.

They still sell them and they are still broken. There should be laws against that.

My originals of ME2 were the retail box versions. I also have the Steam version along with the Origin version.  They all have the same issues when ran on modern hardware. The reason that I have so many versions is because the only time I install the game is to "fix" a save of someone I know so they can finish the game.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV