100Mb/s speeds in Gb network?

ChalkChalkson

Hi!

Recently I put down some Cat7 in the house so my NAS in the basement finally has a decent connection. Both my PC on the 1st floor and my NAS in the basement tell me their connection is Gb, but when I start a transfer it's very close to 100Mb/s (slightly below) with only very minimal fluctuations. The NAS has a (SATA sadly) SSD as cache, so it shouldn't be shitty drives, and when I use a PC that's hooked up to the same switch as the NAS I do actually get my Gb transfers.

Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

Did you mean MB/s? Or was Mb/s intentional? (b = bit, B = byte. 8 bits per byte)

Do both your NAS and PC have gigabit ethernet?

If you go to Network and Sharing Center, then click 'Ethernet' next to Connections for your current network, what does it say the speed is?

image.png.f3d3fed039b5d7aab7ef0456b4459bb0.png

image.png.eac5550b09f3d5b75382d53319a7033d.png

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Something on one end is crapping out and making the entire connection default down to 100mbit.

What's the make and model of the NAS?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Cat6a would have been fine for 10Gbit, Cat5e would have done the job fine for mere 1Gbit. I think you could have better allocated your money than putting it into Cat7.

1. Did you try another cable?
  2. Are you sure you're reading it correctly? (~115MB/s is 1Gbit)
  3. Did you try connecting it directly?
  4. Did you try booting another OS and doing a transfer?

DIY thingy made from left over PC parts and a couple WD Red drives. But I did validate that I can write to it at Gb when I am on the same switch

Just now, Windows7ge said:

I think you could have better allocated your money than putting it into Cat7.

Well, it was significantly cheaper than the Cat6e for some reason (reduced price and free shipping)....

1. Did you try another cable?

You mean the switch to the decive or the cabling in the walls?

1. Are you sure you're reading it correctly? (~115MB/s is 1Gbit)

~ 11.1-11.4 MB/s

1. Did you try connecting it directly?

Will do next

1. Did you try booting another OS and doing a transfer?

Not yet, guess I need to get another OS ready

So how many devices (switches/routers etc.) does the connection go through when you're not on the same switch? Sounds like it could be a bad connection ie. a badly terminated cable or keystone connector on one of the ethernet sockets in your house.

2 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Well, it was significantly cheaper than the Cat6e for some reason (reduced price and free shipping)....

Cat6a would have been for 10Gbit networking. Cat5e would have been sufficient here.

4 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

You mean the switch to the decive or the cabling in the walls?

Run a known good cable directly between the NAS and your computer. Eliminate all the networking equipment from the equation.

5 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

~ 11.1-11.4 MB/s

Yep that's 100Mbit.

Will do next

Let us know how that goes.

6 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Not yet, guess I need to get another OS ready

You can boot something off a USB. It doesn't have to be a complete install. (faster/easier)

4 minutes ago, Arttu89 said:

So how many devices (switches/routers etc.) does the connection go through when you're not on the same switch?

Router -> Switch upstairs -> my PC

Router -> Switch downstairs -> (switch that was temporarily there for trouble shooting) -> NAS

4 minutes ago, Arttu89 said:

Sounds like it could be a bad connection ie. a badly terminated cable or keystone connector on one of the ethernet sockets in your house.

Weird then that both devices report Gb though. Guess I could check by plugging my laptop in each of the switches

Router -> Switch upstairs -> my PC

Router -> Switch downstairs -> (switch that was temporarily there for trouble shooting) -> NAS

Weird then that both devices report Gb though. Guess I could check by plugging my laptop in each of the switches

The PC and NAS would normally just report the speed to the nearest network device they're connected, that would be the switches, which leaves the connection between the switches and the router.

I'd start with plugging the laptop with the cable that goes to the PC you're having problems on and then try to go towards the NAS, to see where the speed picks up.

1 hour ago, Arttu89 said:

I'd start with plugging the laptop with the cable that goes to the PC you're having problems on and then try to go towards the NAS, to see where the speed picks up.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Let us know how that goes.

Turns out the run from the router to the basement is only 100Mb/s. For now I have moved the NAS directly to the router, but that might not do the trick. My TV is in the basement and 4k blue rays are around 100Mb/s bit rate as well IIRC

11 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Turns out the run from the router to the basement is only 100Mb/s. For now I have moved the NAS directly to the router, but that might not do the trick. My TV is in the basement and 4k blue rays are around 100Mb/s bit rate as well IIRC

Do you know if it's the wiring or is the routers interfaces only 100Mbit?

Re-terminating wall jacks isn't hard. If you know that's the issue its a 20~30 min fix.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Do you know if it's the wiring or is the routers interfaces only 100Mbit?

Yeah, now I have the nas hooked up to the router directly and I can write to it at Gb speed (I use the same model switch in the basement and upstairs and I checked direct transfer through the router->basement cable so I'm pretty sure that's at fault)

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Re-terminating wall jacks isn't hard. If you know that's the issue its a 20~30 min fix.

Yeah I know, I wired it up originally after all :P But that'll have to wait until tomorrow, spent too much time with this already

4 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Ended up being more like an hour since the better half made sure that everything is hidden (aka inaccessible) :D

Still sitting at 100Mb/s... Maybe the wire is bad (wouldn't be surprised considering it's literally bargain bin) or the run is too long or a combination of both.

Nobody here happens to know a piece of software that I can test a cable with? I checked if all the wires are hooked up correctly and whether they conduct, but that obviously doesn't say anything about signal integrity...

Yeah its probably gonna be a problem with the wiring/connection in the socket.  One of mine has the same issue because I struggled to crimp it correctly and didn't leave enough spare cable to redo it.  Fortunately the other end of that cable is only a 100Mbit switch at the moment anyway.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Ended up being more like an hour since the better half made sure that everything is hidden (aka inaccessible) :D

Still sitting at 100Mb/s... Maybe the wire is bad (wouldn't be surprised considering it's literally bargain bin) or the run is too long or a combination of both.

Nobody here happens to know a piece of software that I can test a cable with? I checked if all the wires are hooked up correctly and whether they conduct, but that obviously doesn't say anything about signal integrity...

Have you verified this section of cable is the limiting factor? Cat5e can do 1Gbit up to 100m(328ft) so unless you're running a UTP line across a very active high voltage electrical wire then a basic cable tester that says all four pairs are good should mean the issue isn't in that section of line.

If it is I'd leave it up to an imperfection in the wire or damage during installation. Solid core Ethernet cable will work harden if it's bent too much. If the installation was rough a wire may have snapped inside giving goofy readings.

25 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If it is I'd leave it up to an imperfection in the wire or damage during installation. Solid core Ethernet cable will work harden if it's bent too much. If the installation was rough a wire may have snapped inside giving goofy readings.

that's what I suspect, too. Will do proper measurements tomorrow, check if the resistence of one line is significantly higher than the others. Hopefully I don't need to redo the run

13 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

that's what I suspect, too. Will do proper measurements tomorrow, check if the resistence of one line is significantly higher than the others. Hopefully I don't need to redo the run

Drop ceiling?

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Drop ceiling?

worse, in the room with the router we had to drill through the floor behind a cabinet since the walls are fully solid, then we had to route the cable under the basement ceiling diagonally through the entire house. No cabel channels in the walls or ceilings/floors - when they built it, they wired electricity up before casting the concrete for the basement

Edit: "under" means "fixed to the underside of" in this case

1 minute ago, ChalkChalkson said:

worse, in the room with the router we had to drill through the floor behind a cabinet since the walls are fully solid, then we had to route the cable under the basement ceiling diagonally through the entire house. No cabel channels in the walls or ceilings/floors - when they built it, they wired electricity up before casting the concrete for the basement

Jesus. Well, if that's the only section of wire in question and re-terminating the ends didn't help replacing the whole line is the next course of action.

You might as well run a couple extras while your at it. Run 3 or 4 between the plates. Future-proof. :D

Jesus. Well, if that's the only section of wire in question and re-terminating the ends didn't help replacing the whole line is the next course of action.

Yeah, really hope I find that I was dumb in some way.... But at least the other line is working great, for that we had to uncover part of the roof^^

You might as well run a couple extras while your at it. Run 3 or 4 between the plates. Future-proof. :D

That's a nice idea, should probably do that. Not wanting to ever do this again was why I wanted to get at least Cat6 to start with :P

39 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Yeah, really hope I find that I was dumb in some way.... But at least the other line is working great, for that we had to uncover part of the roof^^

If it was going to be that much work for you you probably could have used outdoor rated cable and tacked it along the side of the house. Would have been easier.

41 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

That's a nice idea, should probably do that. Not wanting to ever do this again was why I wanted to get at least Cat6 to start with :P

You should be good for 10Gbit if you ever choose to go that route. It'll also raise the homes value should you ever choose to sell it.

11 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

If it was going to be that much work for you you probably could have used outdoor rated cable and tacked it along the side of the house. Would have been easier.

Was my first suggestion, but someone else was vehemently against that ^^

11 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

You should be good for 10Gbit if you ever choose to go that route. It'll also raise the homes value should you ever choose to sell it.

Yeah, wanted to be able to go 10Gb once switches get down to the 100$ range

Was my first suggestion, but someone else was vehemently against that ^^

Figures.

Yeah, wanted to be able to go 10Gb once switches get down to the 100$ range

The MikroTik 5-Port Desktop Switch is $130.

On 12/29/2019 at 8:09 PM, Windows7ge said:

I know, we are getting close ;)

BTW:

After redoing the wiring it now behaves VERY weirdly. When I start a file transfer from windows it shows 10-12Mb/s. But when I rip 2 BD directly to the NAS it does ~20Mb/s on both... Same thing for multiple file transfers, together they can reach ~40Mb/s....