100Mb/s speeds in Gb network?

ChalkChalkson
2 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

I know, we are getting close ;)

BTW:

After redoing the wiring it now behaves VERY weirdly. When I start a file transfer from windows it shows 10-12Mb/s. But when I rip 2 BD directly to the NAS it does ~20Mb/s on both... Same thing for multiple file transfers, together they can reach ~40Mb/s....

Did we verify that it was a cable issue? You tried connecting the NAS/computer to each other in the same room and got 1Gbit speeds?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Did we verify that it was a cable issue? You tried connecting the NAS/computer to each other in the same room and got 1Gbit speeds?

I used my laptop and did file transfers from both it to the NAS, it to the computer and vice versa... Also, when I plugged it directly into the cable it listed 100Mb/s. But now I am supremely confused

4 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

I used my laptop and did file transfers from both it to the NAS, it to the computer and vice versa... Also, when I plugged it directly into the cable it listed 100Mb/s. But now I am supremely confused

Is this pre-terminated cable or did you terminate them yourself? Were you able to test the cable before installing it? These obscure numbers make me think there's signal loss somewhere along the wire which is indicative of having it too close to something high voltage.

Also we want the cable to report as 1000mbits or 1gbit assuming both your switch/computer or NAS/computer are 1gbit capable.

Scrap it all, run fiberoptics! :D

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Is this pre-terminated cable or did you terminate them yourself? Were you able to test the cable before installing it? These obscure numbers make me think there's signal loss somewhere along the wire which is indicative of having it too close to something high voltage.

terminated it myself. I didn't test it preinstalling. It enters the basement next to the breakers and runs next to some of those wires for a meter or so.

Also we want the cable to report as 1000mbits or 1gbit assuming both your switch/computer or NAS/computer are 1gbit capable.

they all are, but I didn't actually re-check with my laptop directly plugged into the wire after redoing the run.

Scrap it all, run fiberoptics! :D

I wish that were feasible... :D

8 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

terminated it myself. I didn't test it preinstalling. It enters the basement next to the breakers and runs next to some of those wires for a meter or so.

Did you see what happened if you snaked a cable through the house (hallways, down the stairs, etc) for 5 mins to see if you got the same or improved speeds? If you got the speeds you want we'll know it's something fishy about the wiring in the wall. And about a meter or so. I suppose that depends on how energized those lines are.

13 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

they all are, but I didn't actually re-check with my laptop directly plugged into the wire after redoing the run.

If you're seeing over 10MB/s it is over 100Mbit in some regard.

14 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

I wish that were feasible... :D

Eh, little copper over here, a little glass over there...If the issue is EMI fiber would fix everything. I'd also question the wall jacks/plates/keystone jacks. Were they particularly cheap? Did you successfully test gigabit on any other line?

32 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Did you see what happened if you snaked a cable through the house (hallways, down the stairs, etc) for 5 mins to see if you got the same or improved speeds? If you got the speeds you want we'll know it's something fishy about the wiring in the wall. And about a meter or so. I suppose that depends on how energized those lines are.

sadly it's solid core and I don't have spare jacks :/

If you're seeing over 10MB/s it is over 100Mbit in some regard.

Yeah that's the weird part.... Thought maybe when ripping windows might cache locally, but I do have caching turned off for the drive and that doesn't explain why I can transfer multiple files to go over 100Mb sum total.

Eh, little copper over here, a little glass over there...If the issue is EMI fiber would fix everything. I'd also question the wall jacks/plates/keystone jacks. Were they particularly cheap? Did you successfully test gigabit on any other line?

I did test gigabit over another line, but there I also use differnt jacks since the other run could use flush mounted ones... maybe I should try getting a better surface mounted one

Maybe I should cut a known good cable, solder/crimp it to the ends of the runs and check that way first....

8 hours ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Maybe I should cut a known good cable, solder/crimp it to the ends of the runs and check that way first....

Yes, do this. Buy a cable tester (continuity tester?) and make sure it's terminated correctly. Not saying you can't terminate cable but 99% of the times I've seen Gigabit interfaces run at 100Mbps it's been the cable.