High CPU when watching YouTube compared to Windows - WHY?

So I noticed that my CPU is reaching about 40%-50% when watching youtube at 1080p on Ubuntu, Mint, and Kubuntu

On Windows it's WAY lower than that. 

I googled it a bit (so much confusing information) and it seems to do with hardware acceleration? What?!

Anyone know if this is something that can be fixed? I don't mind switching browsers, just don't want to keep the cpu running like this as this PC is meant mainly for youtube. 

Thanks for the advice!

Likely you're missing drivers for your GPU, or software doesn't know how to make use of it. Need to list specs.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Indeed, but it is the "software doesn't know how to make use of it" :)

You can try that special Chromium build, but otherwise if you're not OK with that CPU usage it's back to Windows...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

Indeed, but it is the "software doesn't know how to make use of it" :)

You can try that special Chromium build, but otherwise if you're not OK with that CPU usage it's back to Windows...

That sucks! 

are you using chrome? or chromium?

if you are, go to chrome://flags and enable the "Override software rendering list" flag. this will force hardware acceleration even if chrome doesn't detect it in the driver (a common issue on linux)

She/Her

On 12/27/2019 at 8:55 PM, Twilight said:

are you using chrome? or chromium?

if you are, go to chrome://flags and enable the "Override software rendering list" flag. this will force hardware acceleration even if chrome doesn't detect it in the driver (a common issue on linux)

That won't work since the default builds for chrome and chromium on linux do not include VAAPI support (the thing needed to actually use hardware acceleration). The only option is to use the custom chromium build that enables it, or to wait for Firefox to enable it.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

As the others are saying you are missing hardware acceleration on Linux, I once made a repository if you are on Ubuntu I'll try to update it, it only works with chromium since Firefox has no intention to enable it.

If you are on an arch-based distro you can install it from the AUR

If you want to properly enable hardware acceleration in Firefox, then type "about:config" in the address bar and switch these to "true":

gfx.webrender.all

layers.acceleration.force-enabled

webgl.force-enabled

media.hardware-video-decoding.force-enabled

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain