Why does Noctua use these colors

-iSynthesis

Why does Noctua use that ugly brown/old Pc white? i dont think anyone has got a brown themed build...

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Why does Noctua use that ugly brown/old Pc white? i dont think anyone has got a brown themed build...

Noctua black is coming plus performance over style

They are good performing fans, (well, GT's are better lol) and high quality. Therefore, they could be pink and they would still be selling to people who favor silence and performance rather than looks.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

@Kiwiandapple is making a rust colored build, that is a very good example. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/70086-phantom-antique-noctua/

Never said anything... :-). I`ve got one lying around(f14, cant use it because i dont have any 140mm fan mouns left, my case has too much airflow atm)

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Noctua black is coming plus performance over style

Yeah Black and Brown. <_<

I'm beginning to think they are trying to seperate themselves from gamers and flashy enthusiasts.

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

Brand recognition.  When you see a Noctua fan, you know it.  If you don't know what Noctua is, you ask about the fan because it's ugly.  You never forget what a Noctua fan looks like, nor do you forget the name.

If i were them, I wouldn't change it.

The people they are marketing to are the people will buy performance over looking pretty every single time.

Wait for Noctua Linus Edition. I belive he will buy 5000 of them. Or just alot.

NH-D14 FTW

But seriously I don't think that their fans look that bad.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

They work quite well in my build. [White tubing, clear DI water, copper blocks, sabertooth mobo, noise dampening mats, no lights] they make for a good stealth build, they're close to inaudible and they got an iconic appearance, you'll know what fans they are once you see them.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

That's like asking why do Porsche 911s still look like VW beetles. It's called recognizability. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

If you havent realized their logo is part of a owl and owls are commonly known for being very quiet when catching rodents for their consumption

take a look at the logo and compare it with a real image of a brown owl

not sure if owls were used commonly in Austria for delivering messages but who knows this is my theory of the colour of the fans

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

- Brand recognition (not generic fan #592)

- Keeps people talking how ugly they are, however how they are the best in the industry, which is excellent advertismeent

Why these specific colors?

-> Color of the logo/company which is an owl. And generally, owls are usually known to be beige/brown to be camouflages by the trees surrounding them.

Athene_noctua_(cropped).jpg

I must wonder why this subject keeps popping up regularly.

If they are ugly, don't buy them. They use those colors because they can. Those fans are so high quality and performace that customers will have to decide whether they want their build to look good or be silent. On looks side the competition is much tougher.  

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

They haven't quite worked out that they can make good looking fans that provide brand recognition, so they make loads of rubbish ugly ones.

So that people can waste pointless time in their lives wondering about the purpose of the color scheme.

"Rawr XD"

Call it what you want. I don't think an ugly color was the brightest of ideas. They've missed out on sales solely from the color and now they're beginning to realize that.

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

Brand recognition, and they make your computer faster, even compared to painting red stripes on it. ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Brand recognition, and they make your computer faster, even compared to painting red stripes on it. ;)

But they told me red striped would... THEY LIED! *Sniff....

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

well your average black fans don't stand out too much. They are those colors because you can look at a build and see those colors and you automatically know what fans they where using. It gets them recognized.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Corsair should make a beige case to match with Noctua fans.

corsair900dseb_480.png

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Ahh yes, poo brown and prosthetic leg beige :)

IMO they look good in white and black builds (like mine ;) )

"if by "bass" you mean wet farts then yes, those are the razer crapkens"

They are unique. No other fan looks like a noctua. When you see a noctua fan you know that persons knows what's going on. I personally like the look of noctua fans.

I must wonder why this subject keeps popping up regularly.

If they are ugly, don't buy them. They use those colors because they can. Those fans are so high quality and performace that customers will have to decide whether they want their build to look good or be silent. On looks side the competition is much tougher.  

The competition on the quiet side is tough enough. That's what i don't get. Why do people not just buy bequiets or GTs?

But Nactuas marketing sure speaks for themselfs. They lay their focus only on performance and maximum silence. a different color scheme would be a confession to looks, which isn't what they want to stand for. They're not the best silent fans imo, but they apear to be.

who cares...