Video2x directory change

mockedarche

To put it simple and to the point I'm using a program that puts files into a folder inside the temp directory. These files aren't needed after the program is finish thus why its in that directory. The issue is these files can add up to a large size. My ssd only has 60ish gb left and it wont fit all these files. Is there a way to have a folder be placed on a different drive that's under that directory? There doesn't appear to be any way to change the location these files are placed. Thanks for any help!

You can try changing the default TEMP folder in Windows by editing the environment variable.

I don't know if it changed in Windows 10.

I only have Windows 7 here... In Windows, start, right click on Computer, Properties,  Advanced system settings , Advanced, Environment Variables ,

image.png.dadb24b36e4a0c13dc66bf3c10f1b163.png

then scroll down and edit TEMP and TMP

image.png.a0519e5af8aec331f840a9b0f852078b.png

You may have to reboot or logout / login for the new folder paths to be picked up.

IF the application is stubborn and has that folder hardcoded and continues to write there, you can try to create a junction

Close the application

Move the folder to your new drive ex D:\Temp

Now open a command prompt with Administrative rights  (start > search > cmd.exe  right click run as administrator)  and type there

MKLINK /D  "C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Temp"  "D:\Temp"

will create a "virtual folder" Temp in C:\Users\[Username] - when the application reads or writes to files there, the files are actually created on D:\Temp

Note that Windows may refuse to let you delete the folder if it's within the Windows folder or set through an environment variable.

If you want to force it, you may have to go in Windows safe mode to do it.

// if you then want to delete the redirection, you have to remove the fake folder by saying

RMDIR "C:\Users\[Username]\Temp" (or whatever the folder path is)  in a command prompt.

If you try to delete the folder from windows explorer, it will probably try to delete d:\temp 's contents.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You can try changing the default TEMP folder in Windows by editing the environment variable.

I don't know if it changed in Windows 10.

I only have Windows 7 here... In Windows, start, right click on Computer, Properties,  Advanced system settings , Advanced, Environment Variables ,

image.png.dadb24b36e4a0c13dc66bf3c10f1b163.png

then scroll down and edit TEMP and TMP

image.png.a0519e5af8aec331f840a9b0f852078b.png

You may have to reboot or logout / login for the new folder paths to be picked up.

IF the application is stubborn and has that folder hardcoded and continues to write there, you can try to create a junction

Close the application

Move the folder to your new drive ex D:\Temp

Now open a command prompt with Administrative rights  (start > search > cmd.exe  right click run as administrator)  and type there

MKLINK /D  "C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Temp"  "D:\Temp"

will create a "virtual folder" Temp in C:\Users\[Username] - when the application reads or writes to files there, the files are actually created on D:\Temp

Note that Windows may refuse to let you delete the folder if it's within the Windows folder or set through an environment variable.

If you want to force it, you may have to go in Windows safe mode to do it.

// if you then want to delete the redirection, you have to remove the fake folder by saying

RMDIR "C:\Users\[Username]\Temp" (or whatever the folder path is)  in a command prompt.

If you try to delete the folder from windows explorer, it will probably try to delete d:\temp 's contents.

Changing environment variables worked PERFECTLY. Thank you so much!