Convince me not to buy a Pixel 3a

Spotty
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions.
Just to update this I ended up getting the Samsung Galaxy A50. Got it for $429 (approx $300 USD) from Amazon.au along with a case and screen protector.

Few thoughts based on really early impressions...

The Good:

• Screen is very good, good brightness and vibrancy
  • Notch does not bother me as much as I thought it would, I barely even notice it and I'm sure with regular use it will disappear completely
  • Much more responsive. When I click something what I want actually happens. No more waiting 3-5 seconds thinking "Oh, did I press the button to open a new tab?.... Oh wait there it goes"
  • Face unlock works pretty quick, often I will try unlocking with my fingerprint and face unlock will beat the fingerprint sensor.
  • Battery life is much better. After 4 hours of use (2hr 20m screen on time) installing apps and playing around with settings I'm down to 81% battery from a full charge. My old phone would be about dead by now

The Bad:

• WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I UNINSTALL FACEBOOK
    • No, "Disable" is not the same
  • WHY THE FUCK IS LINKEDIN INSTALLED BY DEFAULT
  • SOOOO MUCH SAMSUNG CRAP
  • FUCK BIXBY
  • I'm actually going to miss the Google Discovery page (left from home, can't add it while using Samsungs CrapUI because FUCK BIXBY)
  • I want to use the Android/Google clock, but Samsung doesn't let me disable/uninstall their clock or set a default clock app. Now any time I ask google to set an alarm it prompts me to choose which clock I want to use. 
  • In the settings there was a security prompt trying to get me to activate or install McAfee... No. That is a no from me. I do not like that.
  • Samsung App store
    • and all the crappy paid wallpapers and themes and shit
  • Keeps prompting me to sign up with a Samsung account to access Bixby features. No. Not happening.
  • Fingerprint sensor is slower and less accurate than the one on my Nexus 5X.
  • Fingerprint sensor only allows a maximum of 3 prints to be stored. That's actually annoying because I want both thumbs for when I'm holding it in either hand, and both index fingers for if it's sitting flat on the desk either side of me when using thumb is awkward. Give me 1 more. Please.

All up I'd give the phone hardware an 8/10. The software a 2/10. Samsung's garbage & bloatware really lets the phone down.

Plan is to give Samsung CrapUI a go for a week or two and see if I can tolerate it. I might just be hating it because it's different to what I'm used to. If not I'll start looking for different launchers that will hopefully solve most of my issues.

My current phone (Google/LG Nexus 5X) is getting a bit long in the tooth. Battery life is abysmal (I've already replaced the battery once) with the device spending more time charging than being used. It's also super slow to use. Even after replacing the battery ~6 months ago it is still sluggish and battery life still sucks. It also hasn't received feature or security updates in over a year. It's probably time to look at replacing it rather than just keep throwing fresh batteries in to it.

I would prefer android phone, preferably as close to stock android as possible. I'm not a power user either so I don't want to spend too much on a flagship device, I really just use my phone for messaging or for web browsing. I don't play any games or watch movies on my phone.

What I would like:

• Android.
  • No notch (I would rather thick bars than a notch).
  • Type C Charging.
  • Would be nice to have a fingerprint sensor on the back since that's what I'm used to using.
  • Fast enough that when I click a button I don't wait 3 seconds and wonder if I actually clicked it, only for it to eventually pop up.
  • Unlocked carrier.
  • I've used up 17GB of storage on my current phone, so at least 32GB internal storage (what I currently have) would be good.
  • I want something fairly 'brand name' and common so that compatible accessories (cases, etc) are easy enough to find. I also don't want to have to explain to people what my phone is every time I pull it out of my pocket (I'm not vain, I just don't want to talk to people)

Things I don't care about:

• Doesn't need fancy cameras.
  • Not a big deal if it doesn't have a 3.5mm audio jack

I've been looking at the Pixel 3a 64GB. Currently available for AUD$550 ($380). It seems to fit what I'm after but I honestly don't know anything about phones or if there are any flaws with the 3a. One thing I'm not sure about is if it's even worth upgrading from a Nexus 5x > Pixel 3a?

I'm open to other suggestions as well. Buying in Australia.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Android

I was about to say iPhone 11 or the older iPhone 8+ but since you prefer Android, you may want to look into Motorola and Nokia (HMD-Global) phones. They’re not as bloated as Samsung or Huawei phones and I believe they both receive timely software updates. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

I was about to say iPhone 11 or the older iPhone 8+ but since you prefer Android, you may want to look into Motorola and Nokia (HMD-Global) phones. They’re not as bloated as Samsung or Huawei phones and I believe they both receive timely software updates. 

I have terrible experience with new Nokia phones. I wouldn't go that route again.

I had a Nexus 5x and then I switched to the pixel 2 xl. I think if you can find it renewed or something of the sort, it might be very cheap and it'll be better than the 3a in... Everything wise. 

Honestly, I would have no problem with telling you to go with the 3a if mkbhd didn't show it lagging throw the home screen when it was new. Nope. Not doing that.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

My current phone (Google/LG Nexus 5X) is getting a bit long in the tooth. Battery life is abysmal (I've already replaced the battery once) with the device spending more time charging than being used. It's also super slow to use. Even after replacing the battery ~6 months ago it is still sluggish and battery life still sucks. It also hasn't received feature or security updates in over a year. It's probably time to look at replacing it rather than just keep throwing fresh batteries in to it.

I would prefer android phone, preferably as close to stock android as possible. I'm not a power user either so I don't want to spend too much on a flagship device, I really just use my phone for messaging or for web browsing. I don't play any games or watch movies on my phone.

What I would like:

• Android.
  • Type C Charging.
  • Would be nice to have a fingerprint sensor on the back since that's what I'm used to using.
  • Fast enough that when I click a button I don't wait 3 seconds and wonder if I actually clicked it, only for it to eventually pop up.
  • Unlocked carrier.
  • I've used up 17GB of storage on my current phone, so at least 32GB internal storage (what I currently have) would be good.
  • I want something fairly 'brand name' and common so that compatible accessories (cases, etc) are easy enough to find. I also don't want to have to explain to people what my phone is every time I pull it out of my pocket (I'm not vain, I just don't want to talk to people)

I've been looking at the Pixel 3a 64GB. Currently available for AUD$550 ($380). It seems to fit what I'm after but I honestly don't know anything about phones or if there are any flaws with the 3a. One thing I'm not sure about is if it's even worth upgrading from a Nexus 5x > Pixel 3a?

Nokia 9 Pureview

why? : because its wierd.

it is "lagship" but android pure.

The Samsung A-series is pretty cool. Though it might only be the A80 that has no notch. 

i know you said Android, but I’d look into buying an iPhone. The longevity is crazy and parts and cases are everywhere. My 6s+ is super fast still, and I wouldn't be upset if this was a new budget phone. It also gets around any update problems. I'd look into something like the 8 Plus for great battery life and a very speedy experience 

That's an F in the profile pic

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

I was about to say iPhone 11 or the older iPhone 8+ but since you prefer Android,

I don't have any other Apple devices, with my last Apple device being an iPod Nano (2nd gen?) from 10+ years ago. So I'm simply not part of that ecosystem and it would just be one more thing I have to set up.

I also have to say that I simply don't like most of Apple's recent devices. Can't stand the notch and lack of Type C is a pain.
Also the 8+ starts at $950 AUD and the 11 starts $1150 AUD. I've also looked in to the iPhone Xr but again that starts at $1050, so double what the Pixel 3a costs. Since I'm a fairly light user I'd rather not spend that much on a phone if I can avoid it.

Any model suggestions I should check out for Nokia/Motorola?

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

You cant fix abysmal battery life by getting something that has abysmal battery life.

By Abysmal battery life I mean browse a few pages on LTT and drop 10%. Go to sleep with 100%, wake up next morning having not used my phone, down to 65%. Put phone on charge in the morning, charge to 100%, use phone throughout the day and be on 20% when I put it on charge at the night time. Rinse repeat.
I'm pretty sure it's just degraded over time. When I did replace the battery it improved somewhat... For a few months. Now it's just as bad as it was before on the old battery. Given that it's older and might be time for a replacement I'm not really bothered swapping the battery again.

To be clear I'm not a power user and I'm not going to be watching youtube videos for 6 hours on it. Just needs to last the day with me occasionally checking it and the occasional post to LTT forums without needing to be charged 53 times. :D

Is the Pixel 3a battery life really that poor that it's worth avoiding, at least for my use?

12 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Consider the Galaxy A50 instead. Much better battery. Popular, is a Samsung, has accessories for it, looks more impressive than the 3a, and is on Samsung's monthly update list.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like it's cheaper than the Pixel 3a as well at around AUD$450. Pimple notch looks crap though, and 6.4" screen might be too big for me. I'll definitely give it a chance and have a look at it while I'm shopping and hold it in my hand see how the size feels though.

1 minute ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Honestly, I would have no problem with telling you to go with the 3a if mkbhd didn't show it lagging throw the home screen when it was new. Nope. Not doing that.

Interesting, I'll have to go check out his video on it. (I never watch phone reviews)

7 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

I had a Nexus 5x and then I switched to the pixel 2 xl. I think if you can find it renewed or something of the sort, it might be very cheap and it'll be better than the 3a in... Everything wise. 

I hadn't really considered refurbished phones. The 2XL would have battery battery life. I'd have to see if anyone has one I can hold to see how large it is. I find the screen on my Nexus 5x to be big enough for what I use it for, and I'm concerned if I go too much larger it would probably become annoying and unwieldy.

Thanks for the tips so far! Given me some things that I hadn't considered.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

30 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What I would like:

• Android.
  • Type C Charging.
  • Unlocked carrier.

I replaced my Nexus 5X with a Moto Z2 Play and I'm pretty happy with it. Better than average battery life, 64 GB  + card slot (I'm using about 100 GB of total storage right now), USB type-c, no notch or rounded display corners, OLED display, unlocked carrier.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

How so?

Current phone is 5.2". That's plenty big enough for me and how I use my phone. Never really thought to myself I wanted it bigger.
Not really a deal breaker, but I'd have to check it out in store and see how big it feels in my hand and if it's too big for my pockets and whatnot. Maybe the little notch it has won't bother me as much either.
It's on my short list of contenders, but those are my two main concerns with it for the moment.

26 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I hadn't really considered refurbished phones. The 2XL would have battery battery life. I'd have to see if anyone has one I can hold to see how large it is.

When my Pixel XL died I used Swappa to replace it with a great deal on a Pixel 2 XL for $149 and the condition was excellent:

https://swappa.com/mobile/buy/google-pixel-2-xl/unlocked?sort=price_min&condition=mint&condition=new&condition=good

That said I know the site mostly tailors to US buyers, but if they don't do shipping to Australia hopefully there's a local equivalent.  Also an option is eBay but they're a bit trickier to get the nice pictures of the condition and proper descriptions (Swappa has good seller requirements and makes it easy to buy a 2nd-hand phone).

Also an option is the Pixel 3 if the 2 XL seems a bit big:  https://swappa.com/mobile/buy/google-pixel-3/unlocked?condition=good&condition=mint&condition=new&sort=price_min

8 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Remember to physically place it and your 5X side by side so that you realize screen size =/= device size.

The office printer has a smaller screen than my 10" tablet but its somehow harder to carry around.

Good point! Looked a little more in to it and turns out body size isn't much bigger than the Pixel 3a. Guess that notch makes a big difference on screen size compared to having a bezel.

However, thanks to a notch at the top of the screen for the front camera and speaker and slim bezels, the A50 is dimensionally smaller than the 3a XL and not much bigger than the 3a:

• Galaxy A50: 158.5 x 74.7 x 7.7mm
  • Pixel 3a: 151.3 x 70.1 x 8.2 mm
  • Pixel 3a XL: 160.1 x 76.1 x 8.2 mm

How about Xiaomi Mi A3?

SuPYL05.png

6.09 OLED display, 11nm SoC, triple camera setup (wide, ultrawide, depth), 32MP cam at the front (If you're into selfies), screen embedded fingerprint scanner, 6 Gigs of RAM, 128 Gigs of storage, 4,000 milliamp battery, 18W fast charging (Quick Charge 3.0), Snapdragon 665 (comparable to SD821), Stock Android (AndroidOne) with 2 years worth of updates, small form factor (See below), glass build with Gorilla Glass 5 front & back, infrared port and of course... a headphone jack!

Z6G5CBG.png

What else?

You can find it for around $250 AUD (Unlocked). 

3 minutes ago, Man said:

What about Xiaomi Mi A3?

Body looks very similar to the Samsung A50, but it only has a 720p display? The Pixel 3a, Samsung A50, and even my Nexus 5X have 1080p displays. Is the lower resolution something most people would notice the difference between? I imagine going from a 5.2" 1080p screen to a 6.1" 720p screen the lower dpi would be noticeable?

What site did you get the size comparison to the Nexus 5x from?

20 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Body looks very similar to the Samsung A50, but it only has a 720p display? The Pixel 3a, Samsung A50, and even my Nexus 5X have 1080p displays. Is the lower resolution something most people would notice the difference between? I imagine going from a 5.2" 1080p screen to a 6.1" 720p screen the lower dpi would be noticeable?

Well, the A3 has a pixel density of 282 PPI, whereas the iPhone XR has 323 which is fairly close (~41 PPI difference). If you find the iPhone XR's screen tolerable then you probably won't have any problems with the A3's display as well. Besides, the 720p resolution is about the only downside of this otherwise near-perfect lower mid-range phone.

As a matter of fact, this is the first phone that popped in my mind when I saw your requirements, and if you look at some of its reviews on YouTube you'll see why. 

20 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What site did you get the size comparison to the Nexus 5x from?

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10,Apple-iPhone-11-Pro/phones/11155,11239

Hope it helps!

22 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

When my Pixel XL died I used Swappa to replace it with a great deal on a Pixel 2 XL for $149 and the condition was excellent:

https://swappa.com/mobile/buy/google-pixel-2-xl/unlocked?sort=price_min&condition=mint&condition=new&condition=good

That said I know the site mostly tailors to US buyers, but if they don't do shipping to Australia hopefully there's a local equivalent.  Also an option is eBay but they're a bit trickier to get the nice pictures of the condition and proper descriptions (Swappa has good seller requirements and makes it easy to buy a 2nd-hand phone).

Also an option is the Pixel 3 if the 2 XL seems a bit big:  https://swappa.com/mobile/buy/google-pixel-3/unlocked?condition=good&condition=mint&condition=new&sort=price_min

We don't have Swappa here, and buying from USA would mean expensive shipping charges + import fees & taxes.

Looking on eBay it's about $330 for a 2nd hand/refurbished Pixel 2XL. The Pixel 3 starts at around $450 2nd hand/refurbished... For those prices I would rather just buy the A50 ($450) brand new and at least get warranty with it and not have to deal with scummy ebay sellers. I'd probably rather just go for a new phone I think to avoid those hassles.

3 minutes ago, Man said:

Well, the A3 has a pixel density of 282 PPI, whereas the iPhone XR has 323 which is fairly close (~41 PPI difference). If you find the iPhone XR's screen tolerable then you probably won't have any problems with the A3's display as well. Besides, the 720p resolution is about the only downside of this otherwise near-perfect lower mid-range phone.

The iPhone XR is only 1792x828 as well.
My current Nexus 5X has a pixel density of 423 ppi so going to a phone with only 282 ppi seems like a backwards step.

The 32MP camera doesn't interest me at all. Photos just need to vaguely resemble the thing that I'm taking a photo of and that's good enough for me.

Thanks for the link to comparing phone sizes though, that'll help a lot narrowing things down before I head out to stores!
I was really hoping to just buy online with the sales leading up to Christmas and avoid dealing with the busy Christmas crowds, but looks like I might need to get hands on with a few devices. :(

So far the Samsung A50 is growing on me, and while I still prefer no notch, the small drop notch is less irritating than the stupid notch some other phones have that take up 80% of the screen defeating the purpose of even having the notch in the first place. Still got the Pixel 3a in the back of my mind but the smaller battery is a bit of a negative I didn't consider.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Moto G line

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

So far my options are looking like the Samsung Galaxy A50 ($437) and the Motorola G8 Plus ($497). Anyone have any thoughts between the two?

G8 Plus has

• Rear fingerprint sensor
  • 4k Video/1080p 60fps
  • IPS LCD display
  • Snapdragon 665
  • Probably a more 'stock' android than Samsung?
  • Not available in black (I'd probably put a case on it anyway)
  • More expensive AUD $497

Galaxy A50 has

• In-display fingerprint sensor
  • AMOLED display
  • Exynos 9610
  • More/Better cases for it on ebay
  • AUD $437 for the Samsung

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

I don't have any other Apple devices, with my last Apple device being an iPod Nano (2nd gen?) from 10+ years ago. So I'm simply not part of that ecosystem and it would just be one more thing I have to set up.

I also have to say that I simply don't like most of Apple's recent devices. Can't stand the notch and lack of Type C is a pain.
Also the 8+ starts at $950 AUD and the 11 starts $1150 AUD. I've also looked in to the iPhone Xr but again that starts at $1050, so double what the Pixel 3a costs. Since I'm a fairly light user I'd rather not spend that much on a phone if I can avoid it.

By Abysmal battery life I mean browse a few pages on LTT and drop 10%. Go to sleep with 100%, wake up next morning having not used my phone, down to 65%. Put phone on charge in the morning, charge to 100%, use phone throughout the day and be on 20% when I put it on charge at the night time. Rinse repeat.
I'm pretty sure it's just degraded over time. When I did replace the battery it improved somewhat... For a few months. Now it's just as bad as it was before on the old battery. Given that it's older and might be time for a replacement I'm not really bothered swapping the battery again.

To be clear I'm not a power user and I'm not going to be watching youtube videos for 6 hours on it. Just needs to last the day with me occasionally checking it and the occasional post to LTT forums without needing to be charged 53 times. :D

Is the Pixel 3a battery life really that poor that it's worth avoiding, at least for my use?

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like it's cheaper than the Pixel 3a as well at around AUD$450. Pimple notch looks crap though, and 6.4" screen might be too big for me. I'll definitely give it a chance and have a look at it while I'm shopping and hold it in my hand see how the size feels though.

Interesting, I'll have to go check out his video on it. (I never watch phone reviews)

I hadn't really considered refurbished phones. The 2XL would have battery battery life. I'd have to see if anyone has one I can hold to see how large it is. I find the screen on my Nexus 5x to be big enough for what I use it for, and I'm concerned if I go too much larger it would probably become annoying and unwieldy.

Thanks for the tips so far! Given me some things that I hadn't considered.

The pixel 2 XL is roughly the same size as the Nexus 5x, ever so slightly taller, perhaps. I can take a picture if you can wait until Tuesday :P

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

2 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

The pixel 2 XL is roughly the same size as the Nexus 5x, ever so slightly taller, perhaps. I can take a picture if you can wait until Tuesday :P

Thanks, but I think I'm going to go for a new phone not a refurb/2nd hand.

I went Nexus 5X > Xiaomi Mi A1 > Pixel 3a.

The A1 is a lower positioned device, which I got for two reasons: it was Android One, which is about the nearest you get to native Android on a 3rd party device as it is Google supported. The other reason was I was concerned about reports of bootloop issues with age on 5X, combined with it nearing end of its software support. It was fine for general use, but what made me look at the 3a was the camera. I know it wasn't stated as a requirement, but the one on the A1 was a noticeable drop from the 5X or 3a. Ok in bright light, rather horrible otherwise. Maybe the later models in the line are worth another look.

The 3a, very happy with. If I'm not gaming on it, I have no problems with the battery making it through the day (occasional checking of social media). Not much more to say other than it does feel the spiritual successor to the 5X. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

Anyone have any thoughts between the two?

G8 Plus has

• IPS LCD display
  • More expensive AUD $497

Galaxy A50 has

• AMOLED display
  • AUD $437 for the Samsung

Personally I put the most weight on the screen quality (assuming nothing deal-breaking like awful battery or low-end SoC).  If you're going to use it outside a lot in the sun, the IPS will pale on brightness to the AMOLED, and I find OLED just tend to look more pleasing to my eye.  The bonus is that it's Samsung using their own quality O-LED panels that even Apple turned to for the newer iPhones (some cheaper P-OLED from LG and possibly 1 other company were used by other phone makers and it seemed like they weren't as good, and had color calibration issues vs Samsung's QC, which seems to have a solid track record).

So unless the A50 has any deal breakers for you, I'd give it the nod as the screen is such an important part of how good it looks while using it.  Can always put a different launcher on it and ignore whatever weird Samsung does with the Android skin.  They do know how to make good parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions.
Just to update this I ended up getting the Samsung Galaxy A50. Got it for $429 (approx $300 USD) from Amazon.au along with a case and screen protector.

Few thoughts based on really early impressions...

The Good:

• Screen is very good, good brightness and vibrancy
  • Notch does not bother me as much as I thought it would, I barely even notice it and I'm sure with regular use it will disappear completely
  • Much more responsive. When I click something what I want actually happens. No more waiting 3-5 seconds thinking "Oh, did I press the button to open a new tab?.... Oh wait there it goes"
  • Face unlock works pretty quick, often I will try unlocking with my fingerprint and face unlock will beat the fingerprint sensor.
  • Battery life is much better. After 4 hours of use (2hr 20m screen on time) installing apps and playing around with settings I'm down to 81% battery from a full charge. My old phone would be about dead by now

The Bad:

• FUCK BIXBY
  • I'm actually going to miss the Google Discovery page (left from home, can't add it while using Samsungs CrapUI because FUCK BIXBY)
  • I want to use the Android/Google clock, but Samsung doesn't let me disable/uninstall their clock or set a default clock app. Now any time I ask google to set an alarm it prompts me to choose which clock I want to use. 
  • In the settings there was a security prompt trying to get me to activate or install McAfee... No. That is a no from me. I do not like that.
  • Samsung App store
    • and all the crappy paid wallpapers and themes and shit
  • Keeps prompting me to sign up with a Samsung account to access Bixby features. No. Not happening.
  • Fingerprint sensor is slower and less accurate than the one on my Nexus 5X.
  • Fingerprint sensor only allows a maximum of 3 prints to be stored. That's actually annoying because I want both thumbs for when I'm holding it in either hand, and both index fingers for if it's sitting flat on the desk either side of me when using thumb is awkward. Give me 1 more. Please.

All up I'd give the phone hardware an 8/10. The software a 2/10. Samsung's garbage & bloatware really lets the phone down.

Plan is to give Samsung CrapUI a go for a week or two and see if I can tolerate it. I might just be hating it because it's different to what I'm used to. If not I'll start looking for different launchers that will hopefully solve most of my issues.

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:
  • FUCK BIXBY

roooooot!!

26 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If not I'll start looking for different launchers that will hopefully solve most of my issues.

Rootless Pixel Launcher is a thing if you miss your Google-themed "home sweet home".  If not there are decent options like Lawnchair 2 and Trebuchet.

Also while I'm thinking of it if you miss google camera there may be a way to force the Google camera via sideload if you're lucky.

10 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Rootless Pixel Launcher is a thing if you miss your Google-themed "home sweet home".  If not there are decent options like Lawnchair 2 and Trebuchet.

Also while I'm thinking of it if you miss google camera there may be a way to force the Google camera via sideload if you're lucky.

Thanks for the recommendations. Rootless Launcher does look more like what I'm used to.

I've taken a few photos with the Samsung camera app and it seems fine and easy enough to use. I honestly don't use the camera that often so that one isn't a huge deal for me either way.

Sadly only iPhone fit the last point "I don't want to have to explain to people what my phone is". Many people don't even bother to treat "smartphone" or even "phone" as a thing, they just say iPhone all the time.

Rant from a sole non-Apple user among iSheep friends.