Convince me not to buy a Pixel 3a

Spotty
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions.
Just to update this I ended up getting the Samsung Galaxy A50. Got it for $429 (approx $300 USD) from Amazon.au along with a case and screen protector.

Few thoughts based on really early impressions...

The Good:

• Screen is very good, good brightness and vibrancy
  • Notch does not bother me as much as I thought it would, I barely even notice it and I'm sure with regular use it will disappear completely
  • Much more responsive. When I click something what I want actually happens. No more waiting 3-5 seconds thinking "Oh, did I press the button to open a new tab?.... Oh wait there it goes"
  • Face unlock works pretty quick, often I will try unlocking with my fingerprint and face unlock will beat the fingerprint sensor.
  • Battery life is much better. After 4 hours of use (2hr 20m screen on time) installing apps and playing around with settings I'm down to 81% battery from a full charge. My old phone would be about dead by now

The Bad:

• WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I UNINSTALL FACEBOOK
    • No, "Disable" is not the same
  • WHY THE FUCK IS LINKEDIN INSTALLED BY DEFAULT
  • SOOOO MUCH SAMSUNG CRAP
  • FUCK BIXBY
  • I'm actually going to miss the Google Discovery page (left from home, can't add it while using Samsungs CrapUI because FUCK BIXBY)
  • I want to use the Android/Google clock, but Samsung doesn't let me disable/uninstall their clock or set a default clock app. Now any time I ask google to set an alarm it prompts me to choose which clock I want to use. 
  • In the settings there was a security prompt trying to get me to activate or install McAfee... No. That is a no from me. I do not like that.
  • Samsung App store
    • and all the crappy paid wallpapers and themes and shit
  • Keeps prompting me to sign up with a Samsung account to access Bixby features. No. Not happening.
  • Fingerprint sensor is slower and less accurate than the one on my Nexus 5X.
  • Fingerprint sensor only allows a maximum of 3 prints to be stored. That's actually annoying because I want both thumbs for when I'm holding it in either hand, and both index fingers for if it's sitting flat on the desk either side of me when using thumb is awkward. Give me 1 more. Please.

All up I'd give the phone hardware an 8/10. The software a 2/10. Samsung's garbage & bloatware really lets the phone down.

Plan is to give Samsung CrapUI a go for a week or two and see if I can tolerate it. I might just be hating it because it's different to what I'm used to. If not I'll start looking for different launchers that will hopefully solve most of my issues.

8 hours ago, rickymohk said:

Sadly only iPhone fit the last point "I don't want to have to explain to people what my phone is". Many people don't even bother to treat "smartphone" or even "phone" as a thing, they just say iPhone all the time.

Rant from a sole non-Apple user among iSheep friends.

I think it's more diverse than that, but among the mainstream I often see it divided into "iPhone" or "a Samsung."  I don't think it's being sheep-like, it's that everyday people have no particular reason to know every last phone vendor and model.  And let's face it, unless you're in China (and other parts of eastern Asia) there's a good chance that many of the people you meet will have an Apple or Samsung device in their pocket.