What are the benefits? Should I Make the Swap?

Dxrk

Hello there everyone! I have a question.  I currently have an iPhone 7 Plus, but I want to get a phone upgrade. I’m tired of paying the Apple premium, and since the release of android 9.0, I am seriously thinking of jumping ship (or swapping ship if you say). My battery on my 7 plus is horrendous. I am thinking of going to the a50, which on paper seems like the right thing to do, since it is still budget but still more powerful than what I have now. If you are an a50 user reading this, what are your thoughts on the phone? Battery life? Overall build quality?

2 hours ago, Dxrk said:

Hello there everyone! I have a question.  I currently have an iPhone 7 Plus, but I want to get a phone upgrade. I’m tired of paying the Apple premium, and since the release of android 9.0, I am seriously thinking of jumping ship (or swapping ship if you say). My battery on my 7 plus is horrendous. I am thinking of going to the a50, which on paper seems like the right thing to do, since it is still budget but still more powerful than what I have now. If you are an a50 user reading this, what are your thoughts on the phone? Battery life? Overall build quality?

Honestly, the A50 would be more of a sidegrade.  You do get the newer screen and (theoretically) better battery life, but you also lose a lot in terms of camera quality.  And remember what Huilun didn't tell you: Samsung will abandon support for your phone in about two years, and your resale value will tank.

He is right about one thing, though... if you want a meaningful improvement camera-wise, and likely in other areas, you'll probably want to pay premium prices.  That means something like a OnePlus 7 Pro on the Android side, or an iPhone 11 if it's really more about money than the platform.

I am unsure of what budget you have but at similar price of the A50 you could get a LG G7 thinQ , a galaxy S8 or a Mi 9 lite, all of which have a better performance.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Them strange priorities man

Not for software, it isn't.  Your phone shouldn't go without feature and security updates just because you have the audacity to keep a phone for longer than it takes to pay it off.  I'm fine with Android on a general level, but I find it baffling that people will excuse a poor support policy that leaves most users permanently vulnerable to old attacks and a clear step or two behind Google's progress.  Imagine if Microsoft only issued two years of updates to Windows 10 for a given PC and effectively told you to buy a new system if you wanted to stay current... you'd be livid!  But that mediocrity is somehow deemed acceptable in the Android world.

Resale value isn't nearly as important, but it may come as a rude surprise if you're used to selling your old iPhones to help subsidize new models.  People grouse about high iPhone prices, but forget that it's considerably easier to keep upgrading  when your phone holds significantly more value than some mid-tier Samsung or LG handset.

Don't. iOS is better. If you have the money, get an Xr or 11. There is no such thing as the Apple premium when it comes to flagship phones.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:55 AM, Dxrk said:

I suggest go with the A51 or S10e, or the rumored S10+ Lite.

11 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

Don't. iOS is better. If you have the money, get an Xr or 11. There is no such thing as the Apple premium when it comes to flagship phones.

Or you like a completely biased apple fanboy?

iOS is known to be a lot less customizable then Android, and there is totally such a thing the "Apple Premium" when it comes to all of there phones.

16 hours ago, SnowTech said:

Or you like a completely biased apple fanboy?

iOS is known to be a lot less customizable then Android, and there is totally such a thing the "Apple Premium" when it comes to all of there phones.

I am not a completely biased apple fanboy. I used to be a completely biased Android fanboy. I’ve ROMed 3 devices. Don’t assume I’m an apple fanboy just because I prefer their devices.

iOS is less customizable but it doesn’t matter. What most people want is something that always works, has a great camera, great display, great battery, and is very fast. That’s what apple gives you.

There also isn’t any such thing as the Apple premium if you compare similar class products. Apple devices are all flagships, and they’re not more expensive than other flagships.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 5:45 AM, Daniel Z. said:

iOS is less customizable but it doesn’t matter. What most people want is something that always works, has a great camera, great display, great battery, and is very fast. That’s what apple gives you.

Has a great camera? Galaxy Note 10 | Has a great display? All of samsungs devices | Has a great battery? Mostly androids | Very fast? O+ 7T Pro? Snapdragon 855+?

And the "Apple Premium"? You say there's no such thing?

Galaxy Note 10+ (Direct Competitor to iPhone 11 Pro Max)

256GB - $639 (Official Samsung site)
512GB - $969 (Official Samsung site)

iPhone 11 Pro Max (Direct Competitor to Galaxy Note 10+)

64GB - $1099

256GB - $1249
512GB - $1449

Is there still no "Apple Premium"?

2 hours ago, SnowTech said:

Has a great camera? Galaxy Note 10 | Has a great display? All of samsungs devices | Has a great battery? Mostly androids | Very fast? O+ 7T Pro? Snapdragon 855+?

And the "Apple Premium"? You say there's no such thing?

Galaxy Note 10+ (Direct Competitor to iPhone 11 Pro Max)

256GB - $639 (Official Samsung site)
512GB - $969 (Official Samsung site)

iPhone 11 Pro Max (Direct Competitor to Galaxy Note 10+)

64GB - $1099

256GB - $1249
512GB - $1449

Is there still no "Apple Premium"?

Apple devices are faster, with more accurate displays, and have the best cameras of any phone. If you want the best smartphone, you get an iPhone. The Note 10+ regular price is 1099 dollars, it is currently on sale.

24 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Apple devices are faster, with more accurate displays, and have the best cameras of any phone. If you want the best smartphone, you get an iPhone. The Note 10+ regular price is 1099 dollars, it is currently on sale.

Apple devices are faster, but that doesn't really matter in daily use unless you're constantly bragging about benchmarks, display accuracy is indistinguishable in most flagship phones as well, camera quality is mostly subjective as well as down to what the OS is doing with image processing.

The point in pricing is the Note 10+ 256GB is priced about half of what the iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB is, and the Note10+ has a microSD slot so you aren't limited to the internal storage. There is definitely an Apple premium with the 11 Pro Max.

50 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Apple devices are faster, but that doesn't really matter in daily use unless you're constantly bragging about benchmarks, display accuracy is indistinguishable in most flagship phones as well, camera quality is mostly subjective as well as down to what the OS is doing with image processing.

The point in pricing is the Note 10+ 256GB is priced about half of what the iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB is, and the Note10+ has a microSD slot so you aren't limited to the internal storage. There is definitely an Apple premium with the 11 Pro Max.

It is extremely unlikely you’d go over 64 GB of storage on a phone. I’m at 37 GB used with 400 songs saved on Spotify and over 2000 photos. Speed does matter, as Apple devices feel more fluid to use and have a better user experience. Display accuracy is not indistinguishable. Camera quality is not subjective. Apple cameras have top tier photos, and completely destroy any competitor when it comes to video

32 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

It is extremely unlikely you’d go over 64 GB of storage on a phone. I’m at 37 GB used with 400 songs saved on Spotify and over 2000 photos. Speed does matter, as Apple devices feel more fluid to use and have a better user experience. Display accuracy is not indistinguishable. Camera quality is not subjective. Apple cameras have top tier photos, and completely destroy any competitor when it comes to video

You're clearly showing a bias for Apple, both flagship phones are very fluid to the point you won't notice in real world usage and the "user experience" is subjective to OS preference. More storage for the price is always better,and the Note 10+ has 256GB for the price of the 64GB iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Display accuracy isn't noticeable unless you're bragging about some benchmark scores. Looking at unbiased reviews, camera quality is very subjective and most flagships nowadays have great cameras.

50 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

You're clearly showing a bias for Apple, both flagship phones are very fluid to the point you won't notice in real world usage and the "user experience" is subjective to OS preference. More storage for the price is always better,and the Note 10+ has 256GB for the price of the 64GB iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Display accuracy isn't noticeable unless you're bragging about some benchmark scores. Looking at unbiased reviews, camera quality is very subjective and most flagships nowadays have great cameras.

Camera accuracy, dynamic range, microphone quality, and sharpness is certainly not subjective. You clearly show a bias for Android. I’ve used many android devices before, and Apple is simply better. I guarantee I’ve had more experience with android that you.

9 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

Camera accuracy, dynamic range, microphone quality, and sharpness is certainly not subjective. You clearly show a bias for Android. I’ve used many android devices before, and Apple is simply better. I guarantee I’ve had more experience with android that you.

Color reproduction and sharpness certainly is subjective.

1 hour ago, EL02 said:

Color reproduction and sharpness certainly is subjective.

Colour reproduction isn’t subjective. It’s always good to be as close to reality is possible. That is completely objective.

27 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Colour reproduction isn’t subjective. It’s always good to be as close to reality is possible. That is completely objective.

Yes, i agree with you, but different phones take different photos in different light conditions. Some phones take photos with better color reproduction on day time, some on night time. What you like most is totally subjective.

1 hour ago, EL02 said:

Yes, i agree with you, but different phones take different photos in different light conditions. Some phones take photos with better color reproduction on day time, some on night time. What you like most is totally subjective.

The iPhone has top notch quality in every setting, and it is far ahead of any other phone when it comes to video. That makes it objectively the best camera

18 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Daniel's definitely being partisan and you do have points on storage, but at the same time, I think you're glossing over some important concerns.

While it's getting better, Samsung is still known for "bit rot" where devices get slower and less responsive over time -- and that's before OS updates.  I've seen Samsung phones that bogged down after their first OS upgrade (not that they'll get more than two, since this is Android).  This doesn't happen in the iOS world, and even those iPhones at the tail end of the support cycle now have pretty solid performance.

And I'm sorry, but display accuracy matters.  If I'm taking a photo, I want to know that the preview reflects the colours others will see.  I want to know that an image is punchy because it's actually punchy, not because the screen is exaggerating everything.

Also, while elements of camera quality are subjective, there are many areas that are not.  Colour reproduction.  Dynamic range.  Sharpness and noise levels.  And while Samsung phones are generally good for photos, they're starting to fall behind in areas like colour (they tend to produce overly cool images) and low-light performance.  In video, Apple is in another league.  It's actually quite sad that Samsung only recently introduced video stabilization that was decent, and it's still well behind what Apple has had for years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 8:25 PM, Daniel Z. said:

Blademaster is correct.

On 1/4/2020 at 1:22 AM, Daniel Z. said:

Ok, let me get this straight. You basically dont know what your talking about and your just saying what everyone says without knowing what you are saying. I understand you, its because you dont know in what apple is better and you are just completely biased.

21 hours ago, SnowTech said:

Ok, let me get this straight. You basically dont know what your talking about and your just saying what everyone says without knowing what you are saying. I understand you, its because you dont know in what apple is better and you are just completely biased.

You're really saying that it is subjective whether more accurate colours are better. I'm not completely biased, I've most likely had more experience with Android than you ever will.

On 1/14/2020 at 6:39 AM, Daniel Z. said:

You're really saying that it is subjective whether more accurate colours are better. I'm not completely biased, I've most likely had more experience with Android than you ever will.

To be fair colour accuracy is both objective and subjective depending on what you’re talking about. The pixel and iPhone both take great photos but they do look different based on how the image is processed. One is cooler one is warmer etc. PANEL accuracy is objective, how a photo looks is subjective. 

in any case OP I’d stick with apple. Your battery is probably hammered by being used 3 1/2 years (check your battery health in settings btw). The only android phones you should be thinking about vs an iPhone are the most recent note (believe the S11 is coming too) and the pixel 4/XL. Because they’re the only phones that come close flexibility wise. You’ll learn that on Android a phone might be as good or slightly better than an iPhone one way but no phones come close to be as good at everything as the iPhones are. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 8:39 AM, Daniel Z. said:

You say to the man who had a Galaxy Note5, S6 edge+, OnePlus 6T, Galaxy Note 8, S10+, Xiaomi Mi 9T, Galaxy A50 & Note10.