CPU Frequency dropped when exporting video in Premiere

NoobVigilante

Hey guys, as you can see on the title you may understand part of my question now.

I'm doing my homework with my newly built PC, which has a R5 3600 and RX 5700 in it.

While I'm exporting the video in H.264 format, I found that the CPU frequency was dropping from the idle speed of around 3.9Ghz all the way down to 2Ghz, with the utilization of mere 50%.(p1)

Screenshot20191220193313.thumb.png.e5b2ec487092d17321d8954a55958e1a.png

When the export work was done, CPU went back to a boost clock of 3.9G. (p2)

Screenshot20191220193652.png.515d5ed59a6f6eef4d8f6af3fa88de62.png

That's very odd, since everything worked quite well in my old i5 machine. So I start a stress test in AIDA64, and found that everything was normal: all cores are in base clock and their temp. are around 70 degrees.

I searched on the Internet about my question but had no result.

I'm confused now so I wonder how to make the exporting process normal, at least the CPU should be fully used.

Perhaps I didn't express my question clearly since I'm not a native speaker, so ask for more info if needed. And you can ignore the strange Chinese characters in the screenshot, you guys are good enough to guess the meaning of them.

Thanks for answering my questions. Hi from China.

I'd suggest downloading and running Ryzen Master and do another export. It shows various limiters, that might give a clue as to what is causing it to downclock.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

It looks like it's throttling, either your 70°C readings are wrong (use Ryzen Master) or you've set too low thermal target in BIOS.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Well, your readings are most likely wrong,  Ryzen should be more like at 0.2GHz while idling too (under normal circumstances) 

As others have said use Ryzen Master to monitor this. 

33 minutes ago, NoobVigilante said:

Perhaps I didn't express my question clearly since I'm not a native speaker, so ask for more info if needed.

No, it's not quite clear to me, what is the actual issue,  does the export take longer than expected or are you just concerned about notoriously wrong frequency readings from Microsoft Windows 10 task manager? 

来自欧洲的你好 ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

How large have you set the pagefile? If you haven't done so, increase it to at least 8GB.

The users above have a bit better suggestions, but if that all checks out the pagefile size could be the issue.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Which motherboard do you have?

I had issues like this with my B450 motherboard. Updating the bios fixed it all for me so it's worth a try.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

One thing that's definitely weird, when I decode or I guess export a video (is this what OP is doing?) my CPU is used like 99-100% constantly, so 55% like in this screen shot is definitely weird,  but I suppose that could be the program that's used to export since stress tests seemingly work normally?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity