Installing a wired network in my house.

Doug West
Go to solution Solved by scottyseng,

I don't think you need a modem, you sound like you have a WISP setup (wireless internet provider). You just need to plug the Ethernet cable from the POE brick to your router, then from there to your switch. You have to have the router as the first device on the network.

So I feel like this is a stupid question, but here it goes. ?‍♂️

I have internet through wireless broadband, I have a receiver antenna on my roof and a cat5e cable that runs from the antenna into my house, into a PoE brick, then another ethernet cable from the PoE to my TP Link Archer C9 Router. I want to run ethernet cables throughout my house so I don't have to rely on the unreliable wi-fi for gaming, streaming, etc.

The question is, do I need a modem since the internet comes in as a cat5e cable with an RJ45 plug? Can I just plug that into an ethernet switch and then connect my wireless router to the switch for phones and tablets? And last one, does wireless broadband = DSL?

I appreciate any help I can get with this, as my google searches and internet scouring doesn't seem to give me a clear answer.

I am planning on installing it throughout the house, about 12+ different ethernet cables.

And I don't believe my router is/has a built in modem (it only has a WAN ethernet port and then the 4 supply ethernet ports), so I shouldn't need a modem to connect my ethernet switch right?

I don't think you need a modem, you sound like you have a WISP setup (wireless internet provider). You just need to plug the Ethernet cable from the POE brick to your router, then from there to your switch. You have to have the router as the first device on the network.

Just now, scottyseng said:

Awesome, that gets me going in the right direction. Just a question on that though, is there a reason the router should be first? Will that bog down the switch with 12+ devices on it if it has to go through the router?

Never mind, I think google just answered that for me.

4 minutes ago, Doug West said:

Awesome, that gets me going in the right direction. Just a question on that though, is there a reason the router should be first? Will that bog down the switch with 12+ devices on it if it has to go through the router?

The router is the master of the network, handing out IP addresses to the devices. It is also the firewall.

Switches allow the devices to communicate with each other at full speed. The wire between the router and switch is 1Gb/s, which is far faster than what your internet bandwidth is (unless you somehow have 1Gigabit WISP speed). You'll be plenty fine.

I myself have a router plugged into a 24 port switch, the internet speed gives up way before the link speed between the router and switch.

Happy to help though. Networking is a fun thing to learn for newcomers. Have fun wiring the house though, I did so myself crawling through the attic.

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

The router is the master of the network, handing out IP addresses to the devices. It is also the firewall.

Switches allow the devices to communicate with each other at full speed. The wire between the router and switch is 1Gb/s, which is far faster than what your internet bandwidth is (unless you somehow have 1Gigabit WISP speed). You'll be plenty fine.

I myself have a router plugged into a 24 port switch, the internet speed gives up way before the link speed between the router and switch.

Haha, yeah I wish I had those speeds. I am currently at about 65Mbps down and 10Mbps up. That makes sense. I appreciate you helping me out!