Laptop vs Desktop internet speed

FRNND_P

Today I had troubles with the internet, and I decided to test both my laptop's and desktop's speeds on ookla:

laptop:

-ping: 8

-down: 17mbps

-up: 11mbps

Desktop:

-ping: 14

-down: 7mbps

-up: 10mbps

I'm in a hurry and can't post more specs now, but for now the pc has an ab350 gaming itx ac with a ryzen 1600 no OC, and a lenovo yoga 720

and  I just don't understand how these 2 have so different results being on the same network, and the laptop even gives similar results over wifi

both's drives are updated top the latest 

if someone can help me out figure this out, i'd appreciate it 

This board, and for some reason a lot of ryzen boards with included wifi cards, use Intel's 3168- which is a piece of garbage.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

This board, and for some reason a lot of ryzen boards with included wifi cards, use Intel's 3168- which is a piece of garbage.

would it help if I get a usb ethernet adapter?

Just now, FRNND_P said:

would it help if I get a usb ethernet adapter?

Yup. That's basically what I did, just because I had one on hand.

You can replace the card though. An AX200 is a decent option. They're about the same price as a decent usb adapter.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Perhaps before you run out and buy a new adapter check these things:

• Make sure you are connecting via 5GHz, not 2.4GHz. In crowded urban areas, 2.4GHz can often be so congested that it is possible to encounter very poor speeds on 2.4GHz (ex. only around 10Mbps)
  • Also make sure you are using the latest driver version.

17 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Yup. That's basically what I did, just because I had one on hand.

You can replace the card though. An AX200 is a decent option. They're about the same price as a decent usb adapter.

I pluged it with the same adapter I was using on the laptop and I'm getting similar results, is there something else I should do in addition to that?

2 minutes ago, FRNND_P said:

I pluged it with the same adapter I was using on the laptop and I'm getting similar results, is there something else I should do in addition to that?

What hardware are you using?

I assumed you were wireless - if you are getting that slow on a wired connection then something is really wrong. What is your internet speed supposed to be? (i.e. what package are you supposed to be getting)

2 minutes ago, FRNND_P said:

So if I'm getting all this straight:

The wireless on the pc is slow. Then when you try on your laptop you get similar results

Then on wired through that adapter, its slow on your pc and normal(?) on your laptop?

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

So if I'm getting all this straight:

The wireless on the pc is slow. Then when you try on your laptop you get similar results

Then on wired through that adapter, its slow on your pc and normal(?) on your laptop?

always wired, the laptop was using that adapter, the results I posted were wired for both

Can you please specify what speed you are supposed to be getting (ex. what your package speed is), and what router do you have, is it provided by the ISP, is there a switch between the router and your desktop and laptop, etc.

On 12/18/2019 at 2:27 AM, Michael Ducharme said:

Can you please specify what speed you are supposed to be getting (ex. what your package speed is), and what router do you have, is it provided by the ISP, is there a switch between the router and your desktop and laptop, etc.

-plan is advertised as up to 100 Mbps

-arris tg1672 provided by isp

-from modem cable plugs into a powerline adapter then to a router used as a spliter(already tested different ports and straight out of the powerline, still the same) out to both devices the laptop uses this adapter for ethernet https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYT481C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=linus21-20, and desktop speeds remain similar with that adapter

Edited by LogicalDrm
Shortened links not allowed