Widening 1" hole to 1.5" ??

Sid Manly

I wasnt quite sure where to post this. But I have a countertop from IKEA im using as a desk and I was wondering how I would be able to open up a 1" grommet hole up to 1.5" without chewing up the surface. I've tried a hole-saw in the passed, but without the pilot bit, it walks and eats up the surface bad. 

Sig

4 minutes ago, Sid Manly said:

I wasnt quite sure where to post this. But I have a countertop from IKEA im using as a desk and I was wondering how I would be able to open up a 1" grommet hole up to 1.5" without chewing up the surface. I've tried a hole-saw in the passed, but without the pilot bit, it walks and eats up the surface bad. 

Start at a slight angle to build a groove, the rotate slowly 360 to build the rest of the guide groove. 

20190825_142231.thumb.jpg.c46dc323bacc9c42e601864974e6b22d.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

14 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Start at a slight angle to build a groove, the rotate slowly 360 to build the rest of the guide groove. 

20190825_142231.thumb.jpg.c46dc323bacc9c42e601864974e6b22d.jpg

Might have to try this. I tried it but it bit into the desk so hard it just murdered the surface. Do you think manually rotating the bit with a ratchet would work to just make maybe a 1/16th deep groove?

Sig

8 hours ago, Sid Manly said:

Since there is an existing hole as you said without a pilot it will be more difficult but if you are steady and go slow you can start a groove to get it going. A good trick is to take a scrap piece of material and to drill a 1.5" hole then use that as a template to clamp to the desk surface as a guide for the hole saw.

@Sid Manly

Step drill bits past 1 1/8 inch are quite expensive, but they do make them and I do not suggest this;

$133 USD

https://www.amazon.com/MAGBIT-851-1500-MAG851-4-Inch-Diameter/dp/B005M27CGG/ref=sr_1_4?crid=X7CGMARE0QYV&keywords=1.5+inch+step+drill+bit&qid=1576562719&sprefix=step+drill+bit+1.5%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-4

My best and strongest suggestion is to use a hole saw, this is a by far cheaper and quicker solution.

Secure the panel to a piece of wood, make a center for the center bit and use the wood to guide the hole saw. (I was carpenter for a number of years, this works) :) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I

7 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

My best and strongest suggestion is to use a hole saw, this is a by far cheaper and quicker solution.

Secure the panel to a piece of wood, make a center for the center bit and use the wood to guide the hole saw. (I was carpenter for a number of years, this works) :) 

I also agree (I was a cabinet maker for a few years...seriously; I also have had some machine shop training and experience). However, good bi-metal hole saws and a mandrel, if you don't already one (cheap hole saws will dull quickly; Lenox and Milwaukee are good brands but stay away from Morse), cost more than one or two good halfround files. There's only 1/4" of thin sheet metal to remove around the perimeter of the 1" hole to go to 1/2" and you wouldn't be wasting time and dealing with the frustration of trying to secure a wood or sheet metal panel over the existing hole. Frankly, I would go with one or two 6" to 8" files (a bastard to hog out the metal quickly and a double cut mill file to clean up the edges although just a mill bastard would also get the job done; it would just take a bit longer).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!