reliable HDD for massive storage?

Windows95

I do music and video editing so I would like a big HDD, as I need to access many samples of .wav , .mp3 etc, and video files

are those new HDDs with big ass storages reliable? seems kinda scary to have 4+ TB on a single drive.

Can you recommend me a good brand? budget 250€

You'll get a million different opinions on what is best/reliable. I personally have always used western digital in anything I build and use WD Red drives for mass storage. I would also not really rely on reliability since you should have a redundancy and a backup plan in place as to not lose your important data in case of a drive failure because they will fail eventually. Might be today, might be tomorrow, might be 30 years from now you never really know.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100
  • Sound: HyperX Headset

9 minutes ago, NotSoEpicMods said:

You'll get a million different opinions on what is best/reliable. I personally have always used western digital in anything I build and use WD Red drives for mass storage. I would also not really rely on reliability since you should have a redundancy and a backup plan in place as to not lose your important data in case of a drive failure because they will fail eventually. Might be today, might be tomorrow, might be 30 years from now you never really know.

yeah, thing is, i was recommended to remove the HDD bay for better airflow and for fitting better the GPU, see:

So I would only have 3 slots, that will be enough? well cosidering im gonna buy a 970 evo plus of 2 TB for OS and installed stuff, and I REALLY need extra speed (so putting 4k files in there for editing for instance) then I would have the free 3 slots in there on the lower bay

Do you reckon I buy 2 4 TB WD Red ones to have a backup? or what.

ive never run a raid so no idea about that

does that even make sense? you would be writting at the same time both disks thus damaging both at the same time

doesnt it make more sense to have cold storage? like weekly or monthly store in cold storage, so the HDD isnt spinning. cold storage projects and important stuff

How much storage do you need?

Id buy the biggest drive you can. Its not scarry to have a big drive with lots of data if its backed up well.

They get something like backblaze or a external hdd for backups.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How much storage do you need?

Id buy the biggest drive you can. Its not scarry to have a big drive with lots of data if its backed up well.

They get something like backblaze or a external hdd for backups.

I guess the scariest thing for a producer is lossing your projects

however, the problem is making a backup of massive ass sample collections

3 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

External hdds? Cloud? Lots of good backup solutions

8 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

The more files you have, the longer backups take (or at least the initial backup if you use something that only copies files if they have changed), but the less you'll lose if you have a failure. Invest in some sort of external storage - either an external HDD, a NAS, or a cloud storage service to backup your important files. If you watched the recent Synology NAS video as Linus said its the 3-2-1 rule of data backups: Have at least 3 copies of your data, store them on 2 different kinds of media, and keep one safe off-site. I was taught the same thing in my IT classes.

9 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

yeah, thing is, i was recommended to remove the HDD bay for better airflow and for fitting better the GPU, see:

So I would only have 3 slots, that will be enough? well cosidering im gonna buy a 970 evo plus of 2 TB for OS and installed stuff, and I REALLY need extra speed (so putting 4k files in there for editing for instance) then I would have the free 3 slots in there on the lower bay

Do you reckon I buy 2 4 TB WD Red ones to have a backup? or what.

ive never run a raid so no idea about that

does that even make sense? you would be writting at the same time both disks thus damaging both at the same time

doesnt it make more sense to have cold storage? like weekly or monthly store in cold storage, so the HDD isnt spinning. cold storage projects and important stuff

Sounds like you need about a 4TB drive. like @Electronics Wizardy said buy the largest drives you can afford because it can be a hassle expanding in the future. Anyways 3 should be enough you could have a scratch disk then 2 drives in raid 1(pro versions of windows allow you to do this in software) for short term storage and/or have one of those drives or a 3rd as an external drive backup solution backed up on a periodic basis. There are also cloud services but then your data is kinda in the hands of other people. You'll def want some sort of backup solution in place if your main concern is loss of any data. 

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100