What are some good mesh wifi systems

RaccoonDude1

I live in a house with muitple internet hungry people, and I am looking for mesh wifi systems that are good. 

My requirments:

-High quality video streaming

-Low ping gaming

If anyone has any suggestions, please leave them in the coments

6 minutes ago, RaccoonDude1 said:

I live in a house with muitple internet hungry people, and I am looking for mesh wifi systems that are good. 

My requirments:

-High quality video streaming

-Low ping gaming

If anyone has any suggestions, please leave them in the coments

Hey, welcome to the forum!

My general recommendation for mesh wifi has been Ubiquiti APs for a while now, but it greatly depends on the user and the size of the space you're working with. 

How big is the house and what's your budget for this? 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Personally I have had good experiences with AVM's (Fritz) equipment. Quite a variety of devices, but depending on the size of the home/office it needs to supply for WiFi, you could get away with 2 to 3 WiFi routers.

TP-Link's Deco stuff is alright too.

Ubiquiti has quite a wide variety of devices too, which can work nicely as well.

Haven't had as good experiences with Netgear Orbi or Asus Lyra. Asus' mesh on their routers supposedly is pretty good, but I have not experiences with that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I find great success in using the Ampli-Fi system, too big of a house for any real router and this one i got has mesh capabilites and two huge ass transmitters for wall mounting.

13 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

My general recommendation for mesh wifi has been Ubiquiti APs for a while now, but it greatly depends on the user and the size of the space you're working with. 

How big is the house and what's your budget for this? 

My bugget is around 70 dollars, I have a two story two familly house.

3 minutes ago, RaccoonDude1 said:

I think you'll need much more than that to setup a mesh.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

2 minutes ago, RaccoonDude1 said:

70 Dollars is not gonna get you any good mesh system. For a decent mesh system, you're probably looking at $200-$300 USD.

At that price, I recommend picking up a consumer router like an Asus AC66U or Tp-link Archer A9 and putting them in bridge mode. That would be your best bet. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

I agree and that is one of the many reasons I don't see streaming video games viable for many people because many don't have ethernet routed throughout their home

2 hours ago, BrinkGG said:

70 Dollars is not gonna get you any good mesh system. For a decent mesh system, you're probably looking at $200-$300 USD.

At that price, I recommend picking up a consumer router like an Asus AC66U or Tp-link Archer A9 and putting them in bridge mode. That would be your best bet. 

I guess I can streach a bit, what would be a good option

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

>wifi

>low ping

>stable streaming

you can only pick one, even if you spend hundreds on wifi it'll still have high latency because of how it works, on the other hand a cable is 10x cheaper has low latency and no micro cuts or packet loss

MiMo is a thing... 3x3 is standard on most consumer devices and if he's on 5GHz, his rated ISP speed (or something else in the chain) will be his limit on streaming.

For consistency, that depends entirely on the environment your device is setup in. If there's a lot of interference, then he'll have issues with stability just because there are other devices talking on the same channels. Picking better channels can help. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"