Why Linus nearly ever uses NVIDIA GPUs

Okay Okay I see that you all dont get my Point.

I Understand that Nvidia had the best Cards

I Understand that AMD GPUs draw more Power (For whatever that may be interesting)

What i dont understand is why you cant accept that for many Builders The Price/Performance Factor is very Important.

And I only want to see some Videos where they Compare Radeon/Nvidia Cards from the maybe last year thar are still avaiable 

and Compare this Cards.

19 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

When i build my current PC I  had 270$ Budget left for a new GPU and  so i had to Choose between the Radeon Vega 56 or the Geforce GTX 1660 Ti an in the Benchmarks and also the Price the Vega was the better Choice.

And i am very impressed of the Performance of this Card.

Did you buy the Vega 56 new or used? Which model Vega 56 is it?

Vega 56 is a decent card. Uses twice as much power as the 1660ti though so it's not very efficient.

Again, you're comparing an old card that was released years ago to new cards. Vega 56 = 2017. 1660Ti = 2019. It's not really a surprise that a 2 year old graphics card no longer in production is going to have a lower price than the newly released graphics cards. Would make more sense to compare the Vega 56 vs an Nvidia card of the same era, like the 1070 Ti.

47 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

But it would be interesting to make a video to compare Nvidia and AMD GPUs on the same Price

Just now, Nuklearfire said:

And I only want to see some Videos where they Compare Radeon/Nvidia Cards from the maybe last year thar are still avaiable 

and Compare this Cards.

LTT does take community suggestions for video ideas. You can make a suggestion of a video you would like to see here in this thread:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

and Compare this Cards.

They do that in reviews. 

13 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

What i dont understand is why you cant accept that for many Builders The Price/Performance Factor is very Important.

Dont think people disregard it. 

They just comment why LTT do the stuff they do. And LTT keeps value i mind in builds where it matters

17 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Did you buy the Vega 56 new or used? Which model Vega 56 is it?

Vega 56 is a decent card. Uses twice as much power as the 1660ti though so it's not very efficient.

Again, you're comparing an old card that was released years ago to new cards. Vega 56 = 2017. 1660Ti = 2019. It's not really a surprise that a 2 year old graphics card no longer in production is going to have a lower price than the newly released graphics cards. Would make more sense to compare the Vega 56 vs an Nvidia card of the same era, like the 1070 Ti.

I buyed it new Orignal Packed and its The ASUS AREZ Vega 56 Strix for $ 275 at a local Store in Vienna.

The Power consumption i dont care really i pay 0,10$ / kWh so even when i run my Card 10 hours / day it only costs me a few bugs more at a year.

And thats my Point you can get a much better Performance when you take a 2 year older card instead of a newer card from this year. Older is not ever bad.

And I am nearly 40 Years old so i know :)

For Example as the Price of RX 560 goes down under 150€ a while ago I decided to replace my old Radeon R9 290X and as I do the Benchmark after I was bitting my Ass about it

The Performance of my PC was sucking so bad that i word literally throw the new Card out of my Window.

3 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

I buyed it new Orignal Packed and its The ASUS AREZ Vega 56 Strix for $ 275 at a local Store in Vienna

The vega that got dropped production because of marketing reasons. 

Which offcourse is nolonger in production. 

Doesnt mean stock isnt sold cheaply. 

Does it matter for you that a GPU is not longer Produced ?

I dont think so.

I think the main reasons for the most customers which GPU they buy is 

1. compatibility with rest of System

2. Budget 

3. Performance

2 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

Does it matter for you that a GPU is not longer Produced ?

It does when you have to get hold of the card in question.

And pricing of such cards can vary wildly.

"I can get a vega 56 for 150$" doesnt matter for someone who cant find the card to begin with. 

4 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

1. compatibility with rest of System

2. Budget 

3. Performance

And when applicable. LTT accounts for this. Which was your critique? You wanted to see more budget oriented builds. Something they have commented that they wont do as other channels cover that way better. Especially in the realm of used and out of production cards. 

30 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

no one is disputing that price/performance is important for regular people. but LMG doesn't do a whole lot of videos where it's relevant, they're just not that kind of channel

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I'm sure there have been more Radeon cards than there are GTX 10 series cards the past half a year.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, Nuklearfire said:

show me 2 Radeon Card Builds from the last half year

LTX 2019. Covered in AMD builds. All of which were budget oriented in some way. And were representative of what you can get at a given pricepoint.

7 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

Scrapyard Wars ^^

a show about getting the best build for the money in the market they are at. 

budget oriented yes. informative to buyers. not really. that also means that they need to get hold of cards in the given place. and its no secret Nvidia has had a major marketshare for the past 10 years

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

and its no secret Nvidia has had a major marketshare for the past 10 years

And thats the Reason why you get AMD Cards with good Performance more cheaper

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

budget oriented yes. informative to buyers. not really.

I dont a gress with that at least linus explores often why he makes his decisions

1 minute ago, Nuklearfire said:

And thats the Reason why you get AMD Cards with good Performance more cheaper

on the used market

if you can get one

and a major youtuber like Linus hasnt recommended it. 

remember when they did a 750ti video? well that spiked in price. 

2 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

at least linus explores often why he makes his decisions

and when you look at his reasoning. its usually not great. 

I cant say how its where you live but here in Vienna you get simiar count of AMD and NVidia Card on the used market i buyed a Vega 64 for a friend on one of this Used Market Apps for a friend for only 200 Euro (220$) 

6 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

I cant say how its where you live but here in Vienna you get simiar count of AMD and NVidia Card on the used market i buyed a Vega 64 for a friend on one of this Used Market Apps for a friend for only 200 Euro (220$) 

thats great. 

sadly, not everyone lives in Vienna. 

2 hours ago, Nuklearfire said:

Most of the Time there are equivalent GPUs at AMD. For example instead of an RTX 2070 he also can uses a RX 5700 XT.

And in Budget PCs there is sometimes a better Performance per Dollar at AMD Cards.

Example on Benchmarks

Model                              3DMark                 Price

Geforce GTX 1080         12.458                   $ 579,99

Radeon RX 5700            12.307                  $ 349,90

Geforce GTX 1080Ti       14.223                  $ 949.99

Radeon VII                      14.145                  $ 549.99

That's your problem you think these cards are comparable. 

They are not. I mean they are,  it's just AMD will always pull the short stick in a real life comparison 

AMD has like 10-15% market share for a reason (hint: people like their stuff to just work usually) 

If Nvidia wanted they could crush AMD easily - problem is due to market regulation laws this is not so easy... 

AMD is completely on life support by Nvidia,  which is certainly an interesting situation (think about it,  that's also the reason why some Nvidia cards are over priced in comparison...) 

Before anyone says anything about "conspiracy theory" ...  

*15%*   think about that for a second.

May Intel save us all lol. 

Oh and then you have an unproportional amount of people on Internet forums like this one thinking they have to be the good guys thinking "competition is a good thing" and shill for AMD all the time... "just turn off vsync lol!" "it's not the card,  it's you..."

Yeah,  the problem with that is it doesn't work... AMD market share keeps being trash. It doesn't help,  people aren't stupid, they might even buy NV out of spite. 

Actually if you wanted to help AMD you should be a lot more critical of them. 

Their GPU portfolio is awful and so is their driver support,  it always feels to me like they aren't even trying. 

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

I mean the RX 580 is the top AMD card in this chart for example ,  at #14...

The 5700 series "might" change things,  but long term this has to be seen,  it's actually AMDs first card that gives Nvidia a run for the money in a very long time. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Could you please link to

1. Videos you are talking about
  2. Where you get the pricing

Otherwise this is just near pointless rambling.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

24 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

AMD has like 10-15% market share for a reason (hint: people like their stuff to just work usually) 

please investigate your numbers befor post them, like you see here AMD marketshare was since 2010 not lower then 18% and at the moment they are at 27%

https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/197681/umfrage/marktanteile-am-absatz-von-grafikkarten-weltweit-seit-dem-3-quartal-2010/

and here you see another Graph that shows a completly other picture of the actual situation

https://winfuture.de/news,110954.html

If Nvidia wanted they could crush AMD easily - problem is due to market regulation laws this is not so easy..

Is that the reason that nvidia has to chruch their Prices every time AMD launches a new Card or Overclock their Cards and make them "Super" to not lose their Marketshare ? :)

That's your problem you think these cards are comparable. 

They are not. I mean they are,  it's just AMD will always pull the short stick in a real life comparison 

Why they not are Compareable for this reason there are Benchmarks.

When you say something like this you should say why.

Their GPU portfolio is awful and so is their driver support,  it always feels to me like they aren't even trying. 

For my Opinion they are not i run on an Vega 56 for under 300$ had never Driver Issues Running on 3 Monitors playing on the middle one while Watch Videos on the right one and had some Internet Sites open on the left one or answer stupid hatter Post like yours

8 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Could you please link to

1. Videos you are talking about
  2. Where you get the pricing

Otherwise this is just near pointless rambling.

Can you add the Quotes so everyone how you are refering

AMD doesn't have any high-end offerings and also tends to have worse drivers, a higher power draw, and, in general, more issues than the nVidia counterpart.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

16 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

Can you add the Quotes so everyone how you are refering

If I don't quote, I always talk to or about first post. Aka you.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, Amaranth said:

AMD doesn't have any high-end offerings

This depends what you understand about highend The Radeon RX 5700 XT($389.99) is with 13.838 3D Mark Points not that bad when you compare also the price of the RTX 2080 Ti($1049.00) with 16.695 3D Mark Point

5 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

tends to have worse drivers

I use AMD Cards since my HD6990 ^^ (i believe it was 2010) and in the Hole time i have only 1 time an Issue with the Driver wich was a Beta Driver

8 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

a higher power draw

That is a how cares for me

8 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

in general, more issues than the nVidia counterpart

Maybe but i never had any Issues with my Cards except on Fan issue but this maybe only was a delivery issue because the box already had a crush