Recommend a quality 500W power supply with 6 molex connectors

road hazard

Building a backup media server. Have every other piece already sitting here or on its' way. I just can't find a quality power supply that has 6 molex connectors. I bought a Rosewill 4312 and the fan wall/hdd cages are powered by 6, molex plugs.

Since this power supply will be powering 3, 120mm fans AND about 10 3.5 HDDs, I'm not tooooo keen on using those splitter cables. Unless you experts think that is nothing to worry about. I mean, I know the 120mm fans won't stress the splitters but just worried about the drives. Plus, for as wide as I need things to spread out, I'm afraid of having to use 2 splitters in a row. Or, if splitters are OK, guess I just need a p/s with 3 molex connectors (each on its' own cable) so I can use 1 splitter on each molex.

This server will be on pretty much 24x7 so I need a quality power supply. For the budget, I'd like to stay around $100 (under $100 if I can). My current Super Micro server (with 20 HDDs, i7-7700K CPU and 16GB RAM) only draws around 250W-350W. So I think a low end i3 with 24GB RAM and only 10 HDDs should be perfectly happy with a 500W p/s.

Thanks

I don't think any modern PC PSU has 6 molex cables, maybe some mining oriented ones do tho.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

You can look for modular power supplies and order custom cables for it, replacing sata chains with molex.

I'll edit this post and add some suggestions.

62$

SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze EVO Edition 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Older design but solid with long warranty. Has 24A on 3.3v and 5v and 4  sata/molex headers, so you can plug up to 4 chains.

Comes with :  1 x 3 molex  , 1 x 2 molex , 1 x 4 sata ,1 x 2 sata

Cable mod makes chains with 4 molex connectors for it for 12.90$ each, use https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/ and select your psu, then select quad molex

Yeah, it's expensive, 3 chains would cost you nearly as much as the psu. See if they give you a deal or some discount if you say you don't need sleeving, or see if they're willing to make you custom cables with 5 molex per chain or with longer distance between individual connectors.

90$

Seasonic FOCUS GX-550, 550W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular, Fan Control in Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode, 10 Year Warranty, Perfect Power Supply for Gaming and Various Application, SSR-550FX.

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-ssr-550fx-550w/p/N82E16817151189

Has 4 x sata/peripheral headers, in which you can plug chains of sata or chains of molex, the psu doesn't care as long as you don't go over 20A on 3.3v or 5v

Cablemod does 4 x molex cables for $10.90 each. Use https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/

So you could have 4 x 4 molex = 16 molex, or you could have 3 x 4 molex  + one chain of connectors that comes with the psu

PSU comes with at least 2 x 4 sata + 1x 3 molex + 1 x 2 molex

8 hours ago, road hazard said:

Thank you all for the recommendations! Went with the Seasonic M12II and some splitters.

@Sat1600 @mariushm @Juular

Uuuuh, it's group regulated, sorry i didn't say it earlier. Don't put it in a server with shitton of HDDs, you'll get issues with power delivery.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

12 minutes ago, road hazard said:

No worries. I bought the M12II locally at MicroCenter and will have zero problems returning it. I'll see if they have this Corsair model and just swap it out. If not, I'll order that one off Newegg.

Hey, like I said.. remember you can go at Cablemod and order cables with 4 molex connectors per cable for 10-12$ each. They're 100% compatible.

You may also be able to custom order cables with more than 4 molex connectors per strand.

So if you don't want the hassle of returning and spending more on the psu, you could just order custom cables.

Here's the page : https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/

Select PSU Cables (2nd picture from left) , then select Seasonic and M12II and hit continue .... you'll find there Quad Molex.

The CX series is not modular, so you're stuck with the cables it has (8 sata and 8 molex)

You could order 3 x 4 molex cables and reuse one of the bundled cables with 4 sata, and you have 12 molex and 4 sata.

If you bought it for 60$, it's 30$ for the 3 cables so you end up at 90$, same price more or less.