What 140mm fan moves the most air?

Asaltnad0
Go to solution Solved by SolarNova,
19 minutes ago, Asaltnad0 said:

I'm looking at getting some new fans I dont care about rgb and noise as long as it doesnt sound industrial.

Just looking for the most cfm ofcourse noctua comes first to mind but which one would you recommend? Or any other brand I dont quite understand the differences in them other than the bearing style, 3 pin or 4 pin, pwm. But could someone explain how you should choose a fan. I have a meshify s2 case.

From Noctua, the NF-A14.

They come in both normal and industrial versions.

Normals do 140 m³/h at 1500 rpm (25 dba , quiet), industrials can go up to 269 m³/h at 3000 rpm (41 dba, loud).

be quiet Pure Wing 2 140mm, are another option they are 1600 rpm and iirc have slightly higher airflow than the Noctua but lower pressure, and ofc are noisier than the 'normal 1500 rpm' Noctua NF -A14

I'm looking at getting some new fans I dont care about rgb and noise as long as it doesnt sound industrial.

Just looking for the most cfm ofcourse noctua comes first to mind but which one would you recommend? Or any other brand I dont quite understand the differences in them other than the bearing style, 3 pin or 4 pin, pwm. But could someone explain how you should choose a fan. I have a meshify s2 case.

19 minutes ago, Asaltnad0 said:

From Noctua, the NF-A14.

Normals do 140 m³/h at 1500 rpm (25 dba , quiet), industrials can go up to 269 m³/h at 3000 rpm (41 dba, loud).

be quiet Pure Wing 2 140mm, are another option they are 1600 rpm and iirc have slightly higher airflow than the Noctua but lower pressure, and ofc are noisier than the 'normal 1500 rpm' Noctua NF -A14

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

27 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

From Noctua, the NF-A14.

Thanks i appreciate it I'll look at em. They definitely will get air moving in my case. Since it's the s2 its technically meant for water cooling but I'm good with fans :). One thing I've noticed on cases especially ones with a m.2 under the gpu they tend to get hot. I was gonna try to put like a 80mm or just a desk fan where the GPU brackets are. Do you have any ideas?

Haha just watched a video on those 3000rpm fans.... dam yeah that's industrial. It would be interesting to see a full case of those. They would make great exhaust fans aswell.

48 minutes ago, Asaltnad0 said:

Thanks i appreciate it I'll look at em. They definitely will get air moving in my case. Since it's the s2 its technically meant for water cooling but I'm good with fans :). One thing I've noticed on cases especially ones with a m.2 under the gpu they tend to get hot. I was gonna try to put like a 80mm or just a desk fan where the GPU brackets are. Do you have any ideas?

I wouldn't worry about it, a set of good fans with the right fan curve or static speed will give enough case airflow to keep things under control.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 hour ago, Asaltnad0 said:

I chose noiseblocker eloops when I was looking for the best fan design. They have a 140mm version too. It's got design elements that break the turbulence at the trailing edge of the blades and at the outside edge of the blades. This causes the noise it produces to be less intrusive. It looks nice, has a small motor, and it's made of very good materials. There's also a long and a short cable included in the box.

I don't know what's the fastest they make, but that would be my choice. (Or a set of NF-A12x25s, but unfortunately they don't make those in 140mm)

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

@SolarNova thanks I'm gonna grab a couple and try em out. Yeah definitely need to use the fan curve for those. Have you ever mixed fans same brand though? @00RaZoR11 I'm not really worried about fan noise I've got a ceiling fan and a air purifier and there is no feed back on my mic I will check them out though to see the difference between the noctua and the noisebloockers. Do you know the cfm off your head if not I'll check it my self.

Thanks for the suggestions much appreciated!

O my build is

Meshify s2 (p.s. is there a way you would set up those fans in a s2. I know I want three up front and 1 in the back ofcourse. I could put another two on the bottom and three on the top.)

D15 cooler

Aorus master 

Gaming x trio gpu

2.   m.2 1tb

20191202_144903.jpg

16 minutes ago, Asaltnad0 said:

@SolarNova thanks I'm gonna grab a couple and try em out. Yeah definitely need to use the fan curve for those. Have you ever mixed fans same brand though? 

Unfortunately i have mixed fans

Long story short i saved money years back and bought 3 different types of fan. Didn't want to shell out for Noctua even though i knew they were good from my experience with a NH-D14, wish i did. My current ones are not as quiet as i would like and certainly dont perform as well as i want them.

But, i dont particularly need to lower my temps anymore ..i mean i could ..but i dont need to ..not enough to justify spending ~£200 on at least 8 Nf-A12x25 Noctua fans. if i ever see them on sale though i will :P

Theres nothing wrong with mixing fans, u just need to ensure the fans u get are good for their intended job.

@SolarNova oh I hear you. I was looking at corsairs ll15s and you wanna talk about price lol. Sure they look cool but the price is nuts. I'm thinking about getting 4 of those noctua and then use the stock three pin fans I have left to see how the airflows in my case. I could always ask noctua if they want to send some fans my way and I'll do another build video.. who knows. Thanks is for the recommendations though!

5 hours ago, Asaltnad0 said:

Haha just watched a video on those 3000rpm fans.... dam yeah that's industrial. It would be interesting to see a full case of those. They would make great exhaust fans aswell.

Beware of dust being sucked by them so easily. Having that high pressure & airflow from a fan, it can be a strong dust sucker also.

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

What are your specs and temps? Why not stick with the stock cooling?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

43 minutes ago, Asaltnad0 said:

@PotatoCanDo! yeah lucky my pc is off the ground and has filters top front and bottom.

I mean it is seriously strong dust sucker if you go that spec numbers. even you have the best dust filters, the fans will make you clean the filters more frequent because they sucks, I mean literally suck.

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

@WoodenMarker what do you mean by specs I have my list of components a few post up. For temps nothing really gets hot unless I'm playing max settings and a big multiplayer game. Why I want more fans is because the meshify fans have basically no pressure atleast not enough to push all the way through the case. the biggest hot spot is where my GPU is because I've got a m.2 drive under it which only adds to the heat. I'm only running three fans plus the d15. @PotatoCanDo! I getcha my but they will be on a curve and I dont mind cleaning my filters and dust my pc. Also since the have such force I could double down on filters. Either way I'm gonna have more dust in my case if I'm adding fans. The only difference is how often I'll clean my pc.

So why wouldn't you go away from stock fans and if you think those fans are too much what would you recommend?

On 12/3/2019 at 12:56 PM, Asaltnad0 said:

@WoodenMarker what do you mean by specs I have my list of components a few post up. For temps nothing really gets hot unless I'm playing max settings and a big multiplayer game. Why I want more fans is because the meshify fans have basically no pressure atleast not enough to push all the way through the case. the biggest hot spot is where my GPU is because I've got a m.2 drive under it which only adds to the heat. I'm only running three fans plus the d15. @PotatoCanDo! I getcha my but they will be on a curve and I dont mind cleaning my filters and dust my pc. Also since the have such force I could double down on filters. Either way I'm gonna have more dust in my case if I'm adding fans. The only difference is how often I'll clean my pc.

So why wouldn't you go away from stock fans and if you think those fans are too much what would you recommend?

Sorry for the late reply -- been really busy and this got buried under some other tabs.

I missed the post up there. What fans do you already have and what are your temps? If they're fine, there should be no need to change anything up even if more fans could increase cooling unless you just have money to throw around. 

Filters generally impede airflow dramatically and I wouldn't recommend adding more. The case should already have plenty of filters and you should use them on the intakes. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker the only thing that hits high temps is my GPU. Alot of the air hit the glass side and gets sucked right back in and it's got a m.2 that adds heat to intake aswell. I only have three fractal stock fans. They just dont push enough air unless they are full power. It's more so a build video I really enjoy building and doing the out of ordinary. It's also just something I haven't seen anyone else do.

If I'm gonna use the NF-A14 industrial fans I doubt the filters will be a problem. But your right filters do make the fans work harder air.

If you have any fan suggestions please share my biggest issue is that the s2 case is so big since it was meant for water cooling that the front fans have to be strong.

To be clear I'm not worried about dust my house is clean and I clean my pc regularly. Not worried about sound especially with a fan curve all of them running they shouldn't need to be running fast.

5 minutes ago, Asaltnad0 said:

@WoodenMarker the only thing that hits high temps is my GPU. Alot of the air hit the glass side and gets sucked right back in and it's got a m.2 that adds heat to intake aswell. I only have three fractal stock fans. They just dont push enough air unless they are full power. It's more so a build video I really enjoy building and doing the out of ordinary. It's also just something I haven't seen anyone else do.

If I'm gonna use the NF-A14 industrial fans I doubt the filters will be a problem. But your right filters do make the fans work harder air.

If you have any fan suggestions please share my biggest issue is that the s2 case is so big since it was meant for water cooling that the front fans have to be strong.

What's the something that you haven't seen done? Everything seems like the norm so far. 

What are your temps?